Search results

1. W

96 Passat TDI tire size tests

I have been running 195/75r14s (~10%) taller, and I like the resulting smoothness at speed. I can still pull steep hills in 5th, and yet spin out less in 1st and 2nd on wet pavement. As to the speed-o, mine was like 5-6 MPH slow at 55, so these tires actually corrected it. Just be sure to add...
  2. W

Lower Radiator Hose

Woot! Awesome! Though I have to drive 1100 miles and back in 2 weeks... So, I guess I'll just patch it up any way I can and carry lots of extra coolant.
  3. W

Lower Radiator Hose

I'm currently looking, can't seem to find anything like that on ePay.. Any clues?
  4. W

B4 lower radiator hose

Lower leaking slowly... I find that I am also in need of a B4 Z1 lower rad hose. If the custom silicon pieces are ready, and not crazy $$$, I'll buy one fore sure!
  5. W

Abrupt power cut climbing hill.

Thanks, that's about what I was thinking, but was confused about it not staying in limp mode. Perhaps my good ol' 8bit BK ECU does "auto recover." Also good to know that it limp can be tripped by too little boost, that would kind of explain why I can go a little faster when the EVRY is fueling...
  6. W

Abrupt power cut climbing hill.

Just started last week: When pulling a long steep hill on my way home, I have good acceleration till around 2200RPM in 4th when a SUDDEN power loss occurs, I can then shift to 5th and slowly accelerate till about 2300RPM when another power loss hits and I can barely maintain speed up up the...
  7. W

New clutch, why not upgrade? input please.

Thanks Chris! It's cheaper too :)
  8. W

How-To:Eliminate thermo T from CAT fuel filter

Bypass/Return hose size Good idea... I'm sure you already know what I just discovered...the return line that hooks to the T is smaller than 5/16" (8mm). I MADE it work, but I'd recommend anyone else get the next size down barb fitting. 1/4"? Other than that it was the smoothest fuel filter...
  9. W

Retrofit filter Just purchased the 3467 filter at Napa for $11! (They have a monthly sale, it's regularly $17) Also got a $2, 5/16 (~8mm) brass barb connector which I'll need to bypass the thermostatic T.
  10. W

LSD, A funny thing happened on my way to 60 MPH

Olds Toronado I had a '69 Toronado (Introduced in '66, making it the first FWD american production car), it had a 455ci "Rocket" ~400HP. It didn't torque steer too bad at all, though the it had incredibly light steering (like 1-pinkie easy). So I guess a crazy strong steering rack/box solves...
  11. W

Wix 33467 / Napa (Gold) 3467 = 86-89 Jetta&Golf Diesel I know what you mean, I first was looking for the 98 Beetle filter, but gave up when it disappeared inexplicably from idparts.com yesterday. This '3467' filter actually says: "Principal Application: VW Golf, Jetta w/Diesel Eng. (86-89)"...
  12. W

Alternate filter option? The stock T on my '96 Passat is letting some bubbles in...Where I live is not that cold, so it's probably not needed. What if I just stated using this filter: Wix 33467 / Napa Gold 3467 http://www.fleetfilter.com/filter/wix-fuel-filters/33467.html It's basically...
  13. W

Champagne performance on a beer budget

96 Passat BK ecu Well, it works really well, but this mod should be renamed "The Clutch Check Mod"! The preexisting mods were only: 5th injector delete, EGR unhooked, timing un-retarded, 2.5" turbo back cat-less mufler-less exhaust, 7% larger tires. With this setup, at 450ohm, I leave...
  14. W

Another heartbreaker

Ran OK As a strange note: This car started and ran fine, getting 40~45MPG. No noises or smoke, and the oil consumption wasn't too bad. Though I did notice it was a little down on power, especially in the lower RPMs. It probably would have continued to run OK for a couple thousand miles more...
  15. W

Another heartbreaker

One stressful day. I was along for the ride (I'm a friend of the owner), and this was a rather disheartening voyage (though defiantly a learning experience). I am truly thankful that oldpoopie was at the helm. He is meticulous, honest, fair, and he really went the extra mile to help my friend...
  16. W

threw the serpentine belt at 80 mph, lost power, won't start.

This thread has inspired my to change my serpentine belt ASAP!
  17. W

Oil Leaking to Intercooler :S

Yikes This will be off model... I recently had a small puddle of oil (2~3 ounces) of oil come out of my B4 Passat's intercooler when I checked it for the first time (I've had car 11 months). I thought it could have been condensed there from PVC oil vapors. (posible?) The car did use 1.5 - 2...