Search results

1. tdi_allan

Low power - a cautionary tale

I have read a number of recent low power threads with great interest, as I have recently experienced an intermittent underboost issue. Let’s retrace my steps... 1) Noticed initial lack of top end power. No codes at this point. Checked and replaced all vacuum lines but the one from the N75 to the...
  2. tdi_allan

The importance of replacing one-time-use bolts

Unlike a lot of my fellow TDI Clubbers, I farm out work that I can't do due to time/space restrictions. One of those jobs is CV axle removal/rebuilding/replacing. I had the OE axles rebuilt for a second time and installed in late January. All was well, did the winter Lemons Rally in February...
  3. tdi_allan

Missed it by that much...

...disaster, that is! While changing out the glow plugs and harness (its been several years for both) I saw the telltale signs of a coolant leak behind the vacuum pump. There's a two-inch bit of hose back there and mine looked like this after it was removed: Here is the new piece of hose...
  4. tdi_allan

WTB: lower side engine covers

I have finally broken one of these gems, on the passenger side. If you have both I'll take them. The Duct Tape Fix™ that I have applied will only last so long... Yes, I know there are better aftermarket options but I have the OEM steel skidplate and cannot use the nice aluminum side engine...
  5. tdi_allan

Suspension squeak

I have noticed an unusual noise when turning my steering wheel to the right - the noise does not occur when I turn the wheel to the left. I also hear a more faint version of the sound with suspension travel. It sounds like a squeak, and i have verified that it is coming from the driver's side of...
  6. tdi_allan

work space in Seattle?

I am visiting Seattle this weekend and my host is having trouble with his B5 Passat. There is an obvious boost leak that I am pretty sure I can patch up in short order. The problem is with his landlord not allowing car repairing on the premises. If anyone can offer driveway space and maybe a...
  7. tdi_allan

Need a timing belt change in Chicago or Milwaukee?

If you are in the Chicago or Milwaukee area and are due for a timing belt change (or other maintenance) look no further than Matt Miks (MiksTDI.) On October 15 I headed up to Kenosha with my deluxe DieselGeek timing belt kit. Matt did an excellent job - his work is on par with other timing belt...
  8. tdi_allan

Mercedes SMART spotted - SFBA

For real, EU tags (NL, 03-US-SF, no kidding). 280 North at 92, 6:30 am or so. Couldn't tell if it was a diesel or not. Man, those things are SMALL - a Jetta would cream it in a wreck...
  9. tdi_allan

A2 stuff for sale (non-TDI)

I have some leftovers from my old A2 that need to go: - Thule load bars, brackets, locks and an unused (!) wind deflector. $75 takes em all. - 4 185/60-14 Michelin Arctic Alpins, used one winter, unmounted. Bonus: an unused set of snow chains for that tire/wheel size! $150 for all of that, what...
  10. tdi_allan

'02 Glow plug harness replacement (56k warning!)

\'02 Glow plug harness replacement (56k warning!) Well, the CEL finally drove me over the edge. I've had the new gp harness for a while, but cringed at the thought of crimping wires on my 2 year old car. Besides, why was the wiring so long on the new harness? Bentley was suspiciously quiet on...
  11. tdi_allan

Adjusting injection timing - really that easy?

Used VAG-COM to check my injection timing recently (the TDI Timing plugin is great!) I found that my timing was advanced just barely out of the range in the graph. After consulting my Bentley and the forums here, it seems that adjusting injection timing is a pretty simple thing to so, once you...
  12. tdi_allan

[Non-TDI] A2 Snow Tires - get 'em outta here!

[Non-TDI] A2 Snow Tires - get \'em outta here! I have 4 unmounted Michelin Artic Alpins, 185/60R14, used one winter on my old A2 Jetta, that need to go to make room in the garage for the Alpins on my TDI. $150 for all 4, Chicago area preferred, might be able to deliver along the route to DC...
  13. tdi_allan

FS: Plastic lower/side engine covers

Subject says it all. Finally got around to installing my DG skidplate, and have no use for the old stuff. Covers only, no torx screws. First $100 takes them, Chicago or Northern Virginia buyers preferred. Will also consider dropping off to a buyer along the route between Chicago and Fairfax VA...