Search results

1. D

Story about Biodiesel in Wired

A fitting epitaph. It's called "The Lion, The Polygamist, and the Biodiesel Scam" https://www.wired.com/story/lion-polygamist-and-biofuel-scam/ It's a pretty gruesome gutting of the industry.
  2. D

05 PD Mk IV 5 spd Silver Jetta Wagon GLS For Sale

2005 PD Mk IV 5 spd Silver Jetta Wagon GLS For Sale I am the original owner of this 2005 Mark IV Silver 5 speed Jetta Wagon. Wife doesn't drive stick, nor does the new child... Clean title, $3500 OBO looking to move it fast in Northern NJ / NYC. This car has 129,000 miles, it has the...
  3. D

Subaru XV diesel Crossover

Once again the diesel version doesn't make it to the States... I feel like choking a Subaru executive! The specs are exactly what I'm looking for, especially the price tag. Subaru XV Diesel: Engine - Diesel Boxer 2.0L 4 cyl turbo Engine Specs - 148hp/258 ft lbs Transmission - 6 spd...
  4. D

Volvo V60 Diesel Hybrid wagon

I want I want I want I want....:rolleyes: http://www.examiner.com/auto-industry-in-san-jose/start-your-car-from-your-office-with-an-iphone-the-new-volvo-v60-hybrid-can "Cool down your car with an iPhone app? With the new Volvo V60 Hybrid you can February 21st, 2011 by Art...
  5. D

Fifth Gear test Diesel Fuels

Fifth Gear (1/26/09) tested 2 premium diesels (Shell V-power and BP Ultimate) versus regular diesel on a dyno. This test was done in Britain so obviously results may vary in other countries. The car was a Citroen wagon. Results: Regular diesel - 155hp Shell V-power - 161hp BP Ultimate - 161hp...
  6. D

Front arm rest latch broken

FYI for those breaking the latch on the front arm rest compartment, the part number you need to order the replacement latch online MUST include the color code, so if it is black for example it would be (the third digit is an "O" not a zero) 3BO868445B41. Without the color code you won't find it...
  7. D

Revisiting the A/C on or off question

Most people remember the Mythbuster test that concluded that while travelling over 55mph the A/C is more efficient than open windows because of drag. This never sat well with me (skeptic that I am), so I started thinking about how I could test this theory... This is what I did: There is a long...
  8. D

5th Gear tests tire pressure fuel economy

FYI and to support my claim that energy efficient tires are a marketing scam: 5th Gear used highly inflated energy efficient tires and an ecu tuned for mpg on a 1.6 (gas) Polo. All on a circular test track and WELL controlled. The result... 0.5mpg WORSE than before the change (46.4 vs. 46.9)...
  9. D

There's a trail of car blood leading to my car...

...sitting in my driveway. A piece of metal road debris managed to cut my fuel return line at the fitting to the fuel cooler. That fitting is part of a new line right? Any idea how much for that line to the engine bay, and who might have it? A part number would be even better.
  10. D

Stuck hood latch

I knew it was trouble when my friend asked me to give him a jump on his late 99 Mk IV, it's never that easy... I go there, pulled the hood release from inside the car, the hood popped up a little. I pull up the hood with my finger that inch to get the release to pop out. I pull... it isn't...
  11. D

Why do Mahle oil filters have a bolt in the middle?

... and my Mann ones don't? The filters look almost identical except for the gigantic bolt flopping around in the center. Both my Mahle filters have the bolt. Question is, should I take it out or do I need it in the Mann filters?
  12. D

This view makes driving during rush hour bearable

I gotta change my sig to 217 miles :)
  13. D

BORA??? wagon on Rt.80 in NJ

Had me flummoxed... Did they sell Mk IV Bora wagons in Canada maybe?
  14. D

Rt 280 in West Orange

I finally ran across another silver TDI wagon! It had steelies with snows and was going about 80... he zoomed by me while I was in fuel saving 71mph mode.
  15. D

Mercedes fish inspired 70+ mpg car

http://www.cnn.com/2007/TECH/03/08/cars.fish.popsci/index.html
  16. D

"Should we all be driving Trabis?"

It's in German, but if you can find an online translator it's a very interesting interview with new VW chief Martin Winterkorn. It's a hard hitting piece by "Der Speigel" that addresses model selection and development as well as Winterkorn's relationship with Piech...
  17. D

Fuel Filter check with ULSD - all OK

I was a bit worried about water absorption in my beloved wagon after reading a few of the posts here about stalled cars running ULSD, so I drained my fuel filter today after running 4 full tanks of ULSD. The result... not a drop of water to be found! The diesel does appear to be heavily...
  18. D

Biodiesel on Boston Legal

Tonights episode featured Danny Crane (William Shatner) getting arrested for selling human fat to Norway for processing into biodiesel. James Spader made a rather unconvincing speech about alternative fuels, including suggesting big oil haviing caused the death of the electric car, in his...
  19. D

Intermittent loss of cruise

I hate electrical gremlins. I was driving the 05 PD wagon yesterday and the cruise stopped working for about 5 minutes. I tried different gears, stomping on all the pedals, turning the cruise on/off, to no avail. After 5 minutes it magically worked again. No apparent code was created, although...
  20. D

.68/.65 gear swap and cruise on PDs

Some of this info is buried in other threads, I wanted people to comment on specifically this issue as I want to do the swap, but use cruise going down my driveway... If I understand correctly, on PDs ONLY, swapping 5th to a taller ratio makes the ecu unhappy during cruise and causes the cruise...