Search results

1. Sootman

Hard Start / No Start - Is your intercooler frozen? Check Here!

I had this happen this summer then again about 1 month ago on my 2011 TDI Golf. The 2nd time it happened I was sent to the VW dealer where they replaced my throttle body and a pipe connecting it, and the intercooler. This was all covered by the 120,000 mile warranty. I had bought the car with...
  2. Sootman

What did you do to your car today?

Bought a new to me TDI I'm back in the diesel world, posted some info in the Mark 6 forum. No mods, no mods, no mods, ah crap of course I do mods.
  3. Sootman

I'm Back Sootman Returns

Finally got myself back in to a diesel VW. Put 175K on my gasser A3 but it started nickel and diming me so it was off to my good friends dealership and with a very generous trade in offer I drove off in a 2011 Golf TDI. I'll miss the AWD but as I'm retiring I won't have to drive to work every...
  4. Sootman

TDIFest 2016 location discussion

I'm in for Green Bay area that would be a fun trip+ I might take enough time off for the Oshkosh air show.
  5. Sootman

Passat TDI Monster Mats 2012-2015 - NEW

New-Genuine OEM 2012-2015 VW Passat TDI Rubber Monster Floor Mats! Using round retention clips, exact fitment and designed to protect the original carpeting of your vehicle. Full set of 4 rubber mats, I won these at this years' TDI Fest but I don't have a Passat. Retail is $99.00, price on the...
  6. Sootman

1-1-2016 Ho5G GTG

Sorry to hear Jeff's not coming, was hoping to get the Audi chipped and it's always good to see him. I'm planning to be there around mid day if all goes well. The weather sucks big time today with snow and freezing rain, I understand Friday's going to be sunny. I'm good for shrimp cocktail as...
  7. Sootman

How long did your original battery last?

Original battery lasted 4-years then electronics went flukey. Replaced battery this spring and electronics stopped acting up.
  8. Sootman

Put on a new set of Nokian eNTYRE 2.0 for the summer. It'll be interesting to see how they ride, handle and wear. All wheel drive mean 5000 mile rotations.
  9. Sootman

TDIFest 2015

I've gotta learn to look at this more often. Back to Sunday River with a new hotel! Wow, I'm pretty sure I'll be able to make it and if I do I'll hide the gasser out back so you folks won't have to be embarrassed :D
  10. Sootman

Hit a big (10+") chunk of ice that fell out from the wheel of a pick-up I was following last week. I'm thrilled I had a skid plate otherwise I would have lost the engine and possibly the tranny. As it is I need a new intercooler, radiator and AC condenser. It won't be cheap but they said it...
  11. Sootman

1-1-2015 Ho5G GTG

Hey sorry you didn't make it, but congrats on #2
  12. Sootman

1-1-2015 Ho5G GTG

Thanks Julie and Peter for another great Ho5G! Always so good to see so many friends. As usual great cooking, friends and wrenching.
  13. Sootman

I remember driving the car when you had it that way. Nice and quick no smoke and no lag. One of the nicest setups I've ever driven.
  14. Sootman

Ah, that makes more sense. I'll recheck the manual to see if I mis-read the spec or it's a mis-print.
  15. Sootman

The Passat has a 112" wheelbase whereas my A3's is 115" You wouldn't know it by looking at the cars. Passat rides nicer but the A3 is stiffer and corners better I believe. I recently rode in a Jeep Grand Cherokee limited. Rode nice but handled like a truck. That was BIG
  16. Sootman

Funny you should mention chimneys, I now have 2 with wood stoves, guess I'll be climbing the roof next spring. The A3 TDI is nice and widely available, but truthfully it is a nicer golf, as it lacks quattro. "On the other hand, the a6 tdi does come with quattro. One of my friends got to drive...
  17. Sootman

I know it's completely out of style, sorry to bring it up. It has something to do with digesting corn I believe. You eat the corn and get some kind of terrible gas. Give me Syndiesel any day. I'm still holding out for a diesel Audi Quatro, although I did pass an A6 with TDI on the trunk lid...
  18. Sootman

Filled up in PA with gas not containing ethanol. Be interesting if it changes my mileage on the 450 trip home tomorrow.
  19. Sootman

Turns out they're Conti Pro Contacts. Grand touring all season (good for nothing) tires. Where I have a set of spare wheels I think I'll buy some snows and be done with it. I drive about 30K per year and although mine's a Quattro it will be peace of mind to have real snow tires on. As far as...