Search results

1. E

2012 Passat Camshaft and Fuel Pump Torque Question

Can someone please verify that the initial torque on the three camshaft sprocket bolts is 20Nm (15ft/lbs)-same for the fuel pump sprocket? After timing is verified the three bolts on each sprocket should be turned an additional 90 degrees? Car driven approximately 30 miles after tightening...
  2. E

WTB ALH Turbo

Wanting to buy a stock turbo for an ALH TDI. Needs to be in working order without seal leaks or wobble of the turbine and preferably with low miles. Shipping would be to 61933 unless local.
  3. E

Flashing Glow Plug

I had a flashing glow light about a year ago on my B4 sedan which resolved after installing a new brake light switch. The glow plug started flashing again a month ago . Looking for suggestions on what to do or where to look for a solution. Here is what I've done so far. Haven't noticed any...
  4. E

Can't Depress Clutch-Help Diagnosing

Daughter's 2003 Manual Transmission Bug TDI.(130,xxxmi) She called yesterday stranded at side of road stating "can't depress clutch". Towed her back home and the pedal is very resistant. If I really stand on it I can depress it, battery seemed low or else I did not depress it far enough to be...
  5. E

Considering a NMS Passat-What SHould I Know

Very familiar with the 1z, AHU and ALH's but when looking online for another older TDI I see that VW is selling the TDI's that were in the buyback. I thought only the 2015's were being sold. Now am considering a purchase of a Passat. Mainly because I'm a big guy at 6'4" and 250#. Know nothing...
  6. E

Help Identify This

While changing out the 109 relay this fell out under the dash and would like to know what it is. [/url][/IMG] Did a quick search and seems like this JBS technologies made remote start units but I don't have a remote for it. Is this something that VW put on the car. Thought perhaps it was for a...
  7. E

Clogged Brake Line on 2003 Beetle??

Purchased this car in FL and I don't believe the brake fluid had ever been bled! (117,xxx). Very clean underneath with no rust. Using a second person to press and release brake pedal and made sure brake reservoir not allowed to go empty. Rear end on jack stands and normal bleeding of rear...
  8. E

Transmision Swap

Have a 98 AHU Jetta that blew a hole in the bell housing. Happen to have a B4 TDI trans that I can use. Are the trans interchangeable? I can put the B4 trans into the A3 Jetta?
  9. E

Lifting a B4 Sedan???

Have done a search and am finding lot's of info on raising the A3 Jetta's and the A4's but not anything on the B4's other than going to the VR6 springs/heavy duty Bilsteins. The A3 Jetta owners are using the Passat stuff to lift their Jetta's. Anyone point me to a thread or a "How To" on...
  10. E

Cylinder Head 1z

Have been researching rebuilding the head on my 96 1z. In the process ran across a 1.9 B4 1z cylinder head that came off an Audi 80 in Germany-only 100,000mi. Am considering swapping out the cylinder heads. Will it work? Both are rated at 66KW and from the pic looks identical. I have an...
  11. E

Using A4 Fuel Filter Set Up on a A3

Any drawback or unknown ramifications if I were to use both the filter and return check valve that goes on top of the filter along with the associated clip of an A4 on a A3? This project 96 Passat had a small inline filter installed and want to go back to something more original. The check...
  12. E

96 Passat Cluster Problems

Have a non-running 96 Passat project that seems to be in good unmolested condition. Even has the 5th injector still in the exhaust. I have very little history on this car other than it sat for 5 years plus the two years since I have had it. Finally going to pull into the barn today and recheck...
  13. E

Brake and Clutch Switches-Cruise Control

Cruise Control has not worked in quite awhile on my 97 Passat TDI. Recently replaced my brake light switch due to inoperable brake lights which now function properly. (Is a two wire switch-usually black-have a part # of 191945515B) In researching this ran across info that there is another...
  14. E

Injection Pump Leak around Wiring Harness on Head of Pump

Just finished replacing the seals on the injection pump of a 2003 ALH Beetle . Replaced the two rectangular ones on the body and the round one around the pump head. After getting everything back together I noticed I still had a leak coming from the bottom of the pump head while trying to prime...
  15. E

Trans O2A Shifter Bushing Kit??

Impossible to shift the 98 Jetta. Previously have replaced the shift carrier:https://www.idparts.com/shift-carrier-early-a4a3b4-p-741.html when this occurred but am thinking I will need to drop the exhaust shield and pipe and replace the bushings etc. inside. Have never had to do this before...
  16. E

B4 Oil Leak-Where's It Coming From

Daughter went to start 97 B4 the other morning-about 20 F. Got out to scrape windows and noted dripping large pool of oil under drivers side front and shut it off. Looked under the hood and black oil (Rotella T6) is all over driver's side above the transmission. Immediately thought of oil...
  17. E

AC Compressor Bracket Bolts for Beetle

Needing the 2 bolts that attach the AC compressor to the bracket. Dimensions and or part #'s. Looked at Jim Ellis and 1st VW Parts diagrams but dimensions nor part #'s listed. Looking through threads on forum found they have 16mm heads-that's all I found. Daughter ran car in ditch-kept...
  18. E

Rubbing Issues 195/70/R14 on B4?

Put some new 195/70/R14's on my daughters 97 Passat last night. Previously had 195/60/R14. After setting the car down after installation I examined for potential rub areas. The top of the rear tires are really close to the perch that the coils sit on-maybe a 1/2 inch on one side and 3/4 inch on...
  19. E

Brake Problem in Cold Temps

1997 B4 sedan, 375,000 miles, old new car to me with the usual rust. Brakes will act like I have a line leak when the temp dips to the mid 20's F. Brake pedal goes to the floor and minimal braking action, no problem with clutch pedal. When ambient temp get's back in the 30's F brakes function...
  20. E

Another Alignment Question-Adjusting Camber

Initialing was going to go to an alignment shop after getting my B4 (97 Passat) front end done and am now also getting ready to do a new front end on an A3 (98 Jetta). Going to tackle the B4 first. Plenty of "How To's" on doing the string alignment not but not as much info on adjusting camber...