Search results

1. R

A5 AC recharge in cold weather. What is the trick?

I had to do some major engine work on an A5 and opened the AC refrigeration circuit to ease access. After clean room assembly I pumped down the system and attempted to replace with 525 grams of 134a. I can't get the system to take the refrigerant. Low side pressure is 90 psi (heated tank)...
  2. R

Looking for a V8 Passat (non diesel)?

Posting for an friend. I scanned a gasser 2003 passat W8. This was a V8 with more controllers on the bus than i had ever seen. It has aux fuel tank and lots of other never seen stuff. VIN WVWUK63B63P287948 for those that like to look stuff up. Owned by a man of the cloth that is now parting...
  3. R

SBC K70287 HD failure at 8000 miles

I hope everyone reads through this before the mud starts to sling. First some background. The car is a 2000 MKIV ALH with currently 228,000 miles. Performance mods started around 120K mi with an RC3 and PP520s. The stock Sachs clutch was in for 6 months of slipping before a dual diaphragm...
  4. R

The Case For Stretch Bolts

OK, we have all seen the manual rant and rave about replacing all stretch bolts (and there are a lot of them). I understand this logic and do just that (see the reason for stretch bolts below). BUT if this is the factory position how come not one dealer I have visited in the country STOCKS...
  5. R

Copper Pinch Nuts torque spec and other questions.

Doing the VNT17/22 upgrade this weekend and I had a few questions on the exhaust header nut/washers. From combing the forums I think we toss the washers and use just the copper pinch nut. Correct? What is the torque spec for the exhaust header? Same nuts and torque for the down pipe...
  6. R

Rear Axle Beam Bushings -- Rubber or Fluid, which to use

I'm repairing a bent axle beam (20 degree camber one wheel, oops) and ordered a replacement from the dealer. It came with empty bushing sockets and they ordered the bonded rubber bushings to be pressed in. Bently says that all MkIV Jettas had the fluid bushing and those only come on new axles...
  7. R

OEM HIDs on a MKV, Coding questions

I got a set of OEM GTI HIDs from Aaron a while back and just got around to installing them. The mechanical is quite simple but there are two areas that need to be addressed for a good install. I did not put a GTI Vehicle Electrical System Control Module (ESCM) and was hoping the standard MKV...
  8. R

MKV PD, Out with the DMF but which SMF and clutch?

60K on the recently purchased PD and with a build date of late 05 I am looking for a solution to the 800 rpm stall issue. I seems from researching the posts that the SMF is the way to go but what weight and what clutch? I would anticipate a future chip tune and possible nozzle upgrade/cam...
  9. R

Rear Wheel Bearing no-tap install with LN2

While replacing the rear WB on the MKIV I had to tap the first one on to get the threads proud of the bearing collar and thought that was a bit abusive. Chilling the axle makes it shrink and the new bearing slips on buy hand or at least far enough that the threads can take the nut to finish...
  10. R

Help from owers of manual A4 and A5, Clutch engagement

Just got the A5 and I noticed the clutch engagement is just off the floor board where on the A4 it is farther up. Another thing that is making the A5 difficult to drive is that the engine does not seem to add thottle below the idle speed setting like the A4 does. The A4 adds throttle when the...
  11. R

900 mile club close

The 2000 MKIV with 155Kmi is close to a 900 mi tank. No engine off. Speed limit driving AC on 25% 25% traffic/normal commute 75% truck drafting at freeway speeds Engine has RC3 and PP520s. Current mileage with the low fuel just on is 860mi. Fuel was BP low sulfur.
  12. R

2006 Pending PD purchase -- grumble issue

I am looking at adding to the TDI fleet and am looking for advice. An 06 TDI with a manual has a very prominent grumble that is related to wheel speed only. The current owner reported that a change to Yokohama tires fixed the grumble but current new tires brought it back full force. The...
  13. R

Help with front crank seal replacement

One thing led to another while looking for my bad alternator pulley and I decided to clean the intake, do a TB and fix the crank leak. Removing the front crank seal without the VW tool is challenging. What are you favorite techniqes for removing the front crank seal?
  14. R

Koni FSD and ebach sport on MKIV review

I recently installed the Koni FSD and the ebach sport springs on my MkIV. First impression was with the look of the car. The 1.25 to 1.5" drop makes the stock size tires match the fender well radius much better. The front and back height are more closely matched than with the stock suspension...
  15. R

Need new TDI with WB greater than 104"

My company requires a vehicle with a wheel base of 104 inches (2542mm) and 4 doors. Interior volume must be 90 cu ft. The new A5 VW’s have the 90 cu feet but not the wheel base. I won’t have any other engine but a diesel. What is coming in the next year that will have the 104 wheel base...
  16. R

Why a TDI is better than a hybrid.

Many of the posts in this forum talk about how the diesel is not catching on in the US. Europe has gotten it right for years. How many hybrids are sold in Europe? I went on a quest to see if I could explain why diesel costs more than gasoline at the pump and found a few interesting things on...
  17. R

Send To for the money

I may have missed this somewhere but who gets the money? I could not find an address to send the check!
  18. R

Jangling Tranny in Neutral, Too much power?

Since the RC3 and PP520s (stock clutch) the engine/transmission has been getting louder. The stock clutch has been slipping and I just installed the Bleached Bora DD clutch. Clutch holds great but there is a LOT of jangling when the car is in neutral at idle (pedal out). The jangling is still...
  19. R

Developing Add-on diag tool -- FB wanted

I think Ross-tech has done a great job with VAG-COM but there is one feature missing that I would like to develop and want feed back from those who would use it. There is no provision to measure any out side event within a controller and include that event in the graphing function of VAG-COM...
  20. R

New Clutch Time - opinions on FW mass

The stock clutch has about had it thanks to Jeff's RC3 and the pp520s. Hit the 800 mile club this weekend with 51.2 mpg. Who says you can't have your cake and blow its doors off too! I have looked at clutch options and want to get the latest from those who have gone the VR6 route. Do I...