Search results

1. 0

03 jetta side air bags fixable?

PS: also appreciate any help finding the oem part number. Is this it? Part Number: 1J5880742D Supersession(s): 1J5-880-742-D; 1J5880742B; 1J5880742C can't tell if that's what I need, or if it's only an inflator.
  2. 0

03 jetta side air bags fixable?

Sad times here, men, sad times. Flash, our 03 TDI with 380k, stage 2 tune, heated leathers, and a great car to drive was hit on the right side by others trying to merge onto the interstate. The body damage isn't too bad. Replace the mirror and put a lense on the side light and I could drive...
  3. 0

? pull the drive shaft out while doing control arm ?

thanks for the link to that write-up. Those pics are detailed enough to show me what goes where. I guess the thrust washer and snap ring are buried in the grease somewheres.
  4. 0

okay, I just took the whole shaft out. Only took another 5 minutes. So the wheel end is fully assembled and booted and never touched. On the transmission end, I'm holding this bearing assembly with 6 ball bearings caught in an inner and outer cage assembly. One side is convex and the other...
  5. 0

Got the 6 bolts out of the flange just fine and loosened the ball joint. Pulled the axle away from the tranny and found the part with the ball bearings had come off the axle and was laying in there sideways. When I figger out which end goes onto the axle splines first, I'll slide it on and...
  6. 0

replacing RF lower control arm on 03 Jetta tdi. Is it possible to pull the suspension out too far and disconnect the inner CV joint? I was moving things around, trying to get the back part of the control arm started, and now when I'm underneath the inner rubber boot with the screws into the...
  7. 0

?hardened 10-spline wheel lug key?

It seems the most common key is called ABC-0. Those aren't holding up for me. Then I got a "#55 10-pt". His splines aren't as deep, but they're much wider and thus stronger. I been treating the bolt top and end with Blaster twice daily, and managed to get a 1/4" hole through without hitting...
  8. 0

?hardened 10-spline wheel lug key?

For 2 weeks I have been fighting to get one stupid wheel off. With a 4' pipe I finally got the regular lugs out, but not the 10 spline VW locking lug. I broke the oem lug wrench (hollow tube type) and 2 of the shiny silver keys you get on Amazon. Does anybody sell an impact grade 10 spline VW...
  9. 0

window switches on drivers door don't work; others okay

Ah, thanks. I did finally get a blip from the controls while moving the wahrs. I couldn't see any chafing anywhere and it seemed like a long process to strip off the tape and search throughout. Since all the controls stopped at the same time, I assumed a power wire. But finding a picture of...
  10. 0

what is the "J386 Door Control Module"? Is that what supplies the bundle of wires that goes to the switch cluster on the door?
  11. 0

thanks for the suggestions. I did trade the switch module from a different car, and confirmed that it's okay. So it's either a fuse or a wire. I removed the doorcard and pulled back the accordian boot. No exterior signs of chafing. Have you ever had a broken wire inside the wrap, even...
  12. 0

03 Jetta TDI none of the 4 window switches on driver's door work, window lock switch doesn't work, trunk and fuel hatch work fine. Window switches on other 3 doors work. passenger door lock even controls several doors. Other sources said fuse 14 or 5; those have nothing to do with the...
  13. 0

ALH engine swap - what to replace while it's out?

I found a very cheap used engine for one of our 03s. It looked pretty bad, so we did the install with only minimal common sense items - timing belt, clutch. It had a rough beginning, but after a couple thou it ran / runs great. Very pleased. Then the exterior metal coolant tubes literally...
  14. 0

starts hard after resting; timing changed to zero

CRANK SPROCKET As suggested above, repeatedly, the crank sprocket was the issue. The 3rd time I took it to my mechanic, I said, look just check the crank sprocket. You charge me labor by the hour, and I'll gladly pay you. Just check it for me. When I picked the car up, they said the timing...
  15. 0

Pinning the Crank Sprocket

Fortunately connected with a guru to see if this is the issue on my 96. Gonna trailer the car over tomorrow. Is there any way to get the pics from the first posts in '011?
  16. 0

do you still work on vws near Stafford? I'm having issues with my 96 Passat. See my posting...

do you still work on vws near Stafford? I'm having issues with my 96 Passat. See my posting 'starts hard after resting, timing changed to zero'. Several members have targeted my crank sprocket, but I can't pursuade my mech to look at it. Seems more than what I can do on my own. Are you...
  17. 0

starts hard after resting; timing changed to zero

still getting worserer So, when we last talked Jun 20 I said I moved the fuel pump and got timing lined up and everything ran good. Then I took it to my shop, with photos of the timing graph from last year and after the timing changed and asked what's going on. They said "the timing is right...
  18. 0

ALH mechanic needed in Baltimore area

Relocating to Baltimore and would like to have a couple names to call if/when something breaks. 03 Jetta TDI with EGR delete and Malone 2. Need the serpentine belt tensioner pretty soon. I've done most all of my own work over the years, but these cars are so low that ramps aren't high enough...
  19. 0

? replace engine at 350k ? ALH. counseling and medication needed

I just need someone to talk to. So, after trying to help my 16 yr old work on his own SAAB convertible, and seeing the daughter pour $$ of gas money into the Outback, I said, "look, I'll get a TDI for each of you to drive, and give it to you when you get out of college". That has worked out...