Search results

1. N

She Knew

Thursday was my last day with a loyal friend. My SE went back to VW. Other than a heater core she'd been flawless for 67k miles. Last Wednesday she decided to lunch a front bearing. (I guess I deserved as much.) So up on our flatbed for a 60 mile trip. Off a half mile from the dealer and we...
  2. N

Bosch Oops

It looks like TDI owners will be in line for another $350. Bosch settled on compensation to owners because of "possible" involvement in the cheat software.
  3. N

Tdi replacement started today

New Tiguan came home today. Very nice in all respects... Except maybe fuel economy. But, and a big BUT, I think we'll keep our '13 SEL Premium and probably just turn in my '14 SE. The '13 is just too nice to let go and I've already decided that the worst that could happen with the "fix" is a...
  4. N

Easy Coolant Flush

After a new heater core on my '14 SE I decided I better check our '13 SEL. Sure enough... Orange instead of pink. Based on some of the lessons learned while working on my SE and my distaste (literally) for coolant because it seems to migrate everywhere, I decided to experiment. I wanted to work...
  5. N

Compliment deserved...

Compliment deserved... Photos Added 2013 Passat TDI SE... Last night my younger son was heading home on a rural road. Conditions were not the best. Patchy fog, wet roads, and dark. In any case a fair size tree dropped immediately in front of him. Front crumple zones performed as engineered...
  6. N

Puzzle me this...

I see lots of heater core issues here, myself included. I can't speak for Jetta but the NMS and the Beetle heater core share the same part number. What I don't see are complaints about clogging on the NB forum. So... Are there just no posts, or are the NB's not sharing our problem? If not, then...
  7. N

Window Fogging - Moisture

I just commented on a heater core failure in my '14 NMS. No, I'm not happy but I learned some things while enjoying my time in the foot well. We've seen complaints about our NMS vehicles fogging the windows and I now believe it's possible that I've found at least one of the primary causes...
  8. N

2013 se offered for sale

This car belongs to my younger son. It's as immaculate as the photos show. Maybe a bit unusual as it has the Ground Effects Package. Chris Farnham optioned this car. Miles - 27900 MANUAL TRANSMISSION STANDARD SE OPTIONS TINTED GLASS AFTERMARKET WHEELS AND UNIROYAL TIRES (SHOWN) OE WHEELS AND...
  9. N

FS: 2003 Sportwagen

SOLD SOLD 4/11/2015 Thanks for your interest and calls.
  10. N

JSW MT Wanted

Looking for a 2010 or newer JSW with a manual tranny. Prefer a dark interior vs the fawn color. If you have a nice car and the price is right, let's talk. I'm located in Elmira/Corning, NY and am not afraid to travel if I find the right car. I promise no banks and no fooling around. (888)...
  11. N

Minor Glitch

My 2014 SE. Last Saturday at 22k miles while in the wilds of western NY cruising along at about 65 mph a CEL accompanied by the AdBlue warning over a wrench. This almost a year to the day from when my '13 swallowed its turbo. Needless to say my adrenalin level went up. After a quick consult...
  12. N

Surprised once again...

I've shared in previous posts that my wife and I travel to Hamburg, PA about once a month. This due to my brother-in-law who is far from home and in a nursing home. While we have the choice of many routes we usually travel south on US 15 which takes us over some of the highest country in PA...
  13. N

Interesting Observation

2014 SE... 16k miles. Summer (Hankooks) tires off yesterday and winter tires on. Also Hankooks. Easy to do since I have two sets of wheels. Tires aired up to just over 40 psi. Some here have complained about a slight pull to the right with their NMS. Lately with my summer tires I've noticed an...
  14. N

Some good news...

A friend with a 2009 A5 purchased used two years ago. Now just over the 2/24 warranty and at 84k miles. Nine months ago a CEL and the dealer did an emergency regen which seemed to clear things up. Now another CEL and the car won't allow a regen. Personally I try to avoid VW Customer Care as I...
  15. N

4-Motion

Got a call from our friends at the VW dealership today about a tardy title. (NY is just slow it seems.) While shooting the breeze it was shared that all models will soon be equipped with 4-Motion. True? I hope so. All I can say is that our salesman just returned from sales school with the info...
  16. N

Just covering the bases here...

2003 ALH with about 150k miles. No codes. Engine bogged down in a heavy (really heavy) rainstorm. My son reports almost like the accelerator pedal was disconnected for a few moments. Then a rough and varying idle and possibly a stall when the car is first started. Some black smoke noted...
  17. N

ALH - Hard Start / Fuel draining

Gentlemen - 2003 JSW. Park it tail down and the injection pump looses fuel overnight. New filter will be in place before I go further. Other than a pin hole in a line which we haven't found I suspect there may be a check valve in the pump which may be faulty. Can anyone confirm? Suggestions...
  18. N

VW Customer Care

I see so many negatives about VW Customer Care and wonder why the polar difference between my experience and so many others. Allow me at least to say something positive... Most here know that my 2013 turned belly up. Roadside Assistance was a total joke. (The joke being on me.) So past the...
  19. N

Noticed some differences 2013/2014

As most here know I changed from a '13 to a '14 SE MT which is virtually identical right down to color. Road manners are identical. Economy is too early to tell but appears the same. Performance seems about equal from a seat of the pants perspective. (Very good by the way.) One detail I became...
  20. N

Turbo Failures - Some Conclusions & Comments

The discussion thread is now so long and convoluted as to make it difficult to process. Since I'm becoming more familiar with turbo failure every day I thought it might be of some value to actually list some of the common signs we seem to experience prior and during a failure: 1. Loss of Power...