Search results

1. F

Are the 01M transmission that bad?

I've never given it much thought, since I've got a stick, but a transmission specialty shop near me knows how to not only fix an 01M, but also knows how to modify it to make it reliable.
  2. F

Cold Air intake

CAI's don't deliver IMO. OP, please refer to the stickies at the top of the page and also the search function before you post. You will often get a better, more detailed answer that way. I haven't posted here in months, but the thread topics are still pretty much the same!
  3. F

Interesting day at the dyno...

I've never had my car dynoed, but it always 'felt' faster when the timing was advanced. But the way that i've always thought about it was that injecting the fuel earlier would allow more time for the air/fuel mixture to atomize and therefore be more efficient. I know with the gassers that...
  4. F

Why does it seem more engine noise = less power

Are you saying that you hear a different noise than when the engine is running properly? Are you getting worse FE? The way that i check, and modify, timing is through the measuring and adaptation blocks, via engine control module. I don't use that group 0 thing.
  5. F

PP 520 injector problem... HELP

My mpg's went up noticeably after I installed a new t-stat. My warmup times also decreased from 8-10 minutes down to just 5 minutes. Also, my PP520's actually give me better FE, even when I flog it.
  6. F

Bugatti Veyron crash going to trial

I love pelicans, but I wouldn't risk crashing into a swamp for one. Especially one that wasn't there! Yep, probably fraud.
  7. F

$90 ticket for a faulty tail light

Good advice. I have beaten several parking fines at my university that way.
  8. F

Petition to end 25y/o car importing rule

I just voted on this too. I would really like to be able to import an old Ford Sierra Cosworth RS. But as has been said previously, more votes are still needed.
  9. F

Mounts: OEM vs 034 vs BFI

Which type did you have, the track density or the street density?
  10. F

Anybody out there in Louisiana?

Yeah, a GTG after New Year would be good. I don't have to start classes until the 17th, so early January would be good for me.
  11. F

alternator

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=195438
  12. F

Power steering fluid as additive ?

I get pretty good deals in my area too. :)
  13. F

Replace New Beetle Alternator - a guide.

I found it much easier to remove the tensioner from the top. I couldn't reach the bolts any other way. I'd also like to add that '98-'99 owners will have to take the extra step of replacing the alternator connector with the updated one...
  14. F

intercooler cleaning

There's a how-to for intercooler cleaning under the 'Articles' section of the site. You don't need to replace it unless it is leaking boost or has been damaged by road debris, etc. When I last cleaned my EGR cooler, I first clamped the coolant lines to make sure that coolant loss would be...
  15. F

Is My Manual Transmission Really Going Bad?

Go to ABS control module and then to output tests with the key in the ON position and the engine off. Cycle through the output tests and you should hear a faint mechanical noise under the hood. Sometimes air bubbles can form in the lines and travel to the ABS pump. Only VCDS or the VAG scan...
  16. F

Is My Manual Transmission Really Going Bad?

Did you cycle the ABS pump with VCDS (assuming you have ABS)?
  17. F

A/C replace, delete, ignore?

Here ya' go: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=3155158&postcount=2
  18. F

Royal Purple 'Max Gear' Damaged My Tranny!!

I noticed too that at higher RPM's the grinding would diminish during engagement. I'm sold on the G70 though. It's cheaper than most of the other aftermarket synthetics, even when I order from the dealer. Besides, the service interval is so long on the OE stuff that I question whether or not...
  19. F

Yellow New Beetle - Restoration back to Life

Great project Corey and good luck! Personally, one of the reasons that I think the NB handles better than the rest is the fact that the strut towers are recessed into the firewall, which makes the front end feel a bit tighter in the bends. The NB also manages to keep the majority of its mass...
  20. F

'03 ALH. PD150 Intake, EGR, and KermaTDI OMI woes.

Dave, Folsom is like 20 minutes from my house. I've got plenty of experience modifying the EGR systems in these cars and could give you a hand if you need it. PM me - I've got VCDS too. Sean