Search results

1. S

ALH quit running at 60MPH

Hi Comrades, Anyone ever had this happen? I was driving home last night, was going to pick up some beer for a friend that brought me a load of firewood from a work site for my outdoor wood furnace. All seemed fine until it stopped running. Had all electric, it happened so sudden that...
  2. S

Timing Issue 2000 Beetle

Hi all, It seems as if my IP timing has drifted, is that possible? It wont start w the timimng set in the middle of the screen of the VCDS? It's running quite a bit advanced. So on the IP the hole in the window is almost completely out? The cam & crank are fine. I have 45K on the belt, pullys...
  3. S

Timing Advance Issue

What should my timing be at 65MPH? Some days it's 0, 4, 8, 12. Today it's 19, according to my UltraGauge. Seems when I get a P1557 code it goes back to 0, Thanks, Dave
  4. S

Rear pivot bushing change

Hi all, Is there a way to change the rear pivot bushings without removing the entire axle? They look ok w a visual inspection but I've snug them up a few times & they're fine for a short period but rattle louder than before? I'm going to snap the bolts! Thanks, Dave
  5. S

Timing Advance

What is the usual timing going 60MPH? My UltraGauge is telling me it's 19. When my CEL went off a few weeks ago, it went back to zero for a few days & now it's zero when it idles & in the high teens going down the highway on level ground. Also before the CEL average timing was around 10...
  6. S

CEL, no power

Hi all, Sorta good, sorta not so. Teaching & playing at a jazz camp for two weeks!? Left Friday morning early, about a 1/2 hour down the road on a 400 mile drive when the Wife calls & said I left a bag. So I turn around, I stepped on it w no power above 3K rpm, then engine light came on. Blue...
  7. S

Can't open hood.

Hi Mk IV fans! Went to open my hood, the pull came out like it should, looks like I lost the pin, have the pull in my hand, So, what do I do next to open the hood? Thanks, Dave:confused:
  8. S

Anyone using a foam pressure washer cannon

Hi Comrads, Checking out on YouTube guys using pressure washers to clean their cars w foam. Anyone on here use one. I'm hooked on using a pressure washer, it blasts all the road dirt & grit before I use a wash mitt. Now wth the foam cannon just spray foam on, let set for 3-5 min & rinse off...
  9. S

What size oil cap filter wrench?

Hi Comrads, Went to NAPA 3 time with the info I got off a search stating 74-76mm cap. Must not be, tried everyone that was in stock. So I'm on eBay, does a 74mm 14flute cap seem right? Also was listed another 76 14flute, but I don't think so. Don't want to put this new oil pan on until I get...
  10. S

Need an Oil Pan

Hi Comrads, Was going to put another used pan on Blue & noticed a hairline crack under the drain bolt about an inch long only on the outside. Think I don't want to risk it cracking the rest of the way. So after looking around eBay & Amazon I got more confused as ever. The prices range from...
  11. S

2000 Beetle oil pan change question!

Hi Comrads, Going to be changing the pan on Blue today. What sealant or gasket maker is best? Thanks, Dave
  12. S

NB's where do they usually rust?

I now know that Golf's, Jetta's & Passat's rust on the front fenders & rear quarters. Where are the rust prone spots for NB's? Are the fenders plastic? Thanks, Dave
  13. S

2003 Beetle 5-speed questions

Hi all, I test drove a TDI from SC w 150K. Price on the lot is $3,450. Outside fine, cold started on 2nd try. (30 degree F) Idle was smooth after 5 seconds. Drive seem fine from what I know, handeling was fine & tight, no unusual bangs, knocks, squeeks. Clutch seems still OK, shifts fine. Only...
  14. S

Hi From NE Ohio

Hi all, I just had my 94 Civic VX stolen & would like to learn about TDI's. My VX was givin to me & I had no idea of the mileage potential, I was getting 47MPG. Now I'm hooked on getting another high MPG car. So I would want something in a 5-speed. I need to know what to look out for, what...