Search results

1. D

VCDS to dim dashboard lights. NMS

So I've been searching the internet and this site for a bit now. Maybe I'm wording it wrong. I want to be able to dim the dashboard/instrument panel lighting lower than the default setting. I have it on the lowest setting and it's still too bright for my preferences. I have heard mention of...
  2. D

EGR delete vs tune out

I'm sure this has been asked before. I tried searching but these particular key words bring a bazillion results. I have a new to me 02 golf 5spd. I know general practice is to block the EGR and eithe run with a CEL, or get a tune to clear the CEL. My question is, if I just get a tune (RC if he...
  3. D

Washington DC to San Francisco CA

I'm doing a reverse fly an buy. I'm doing a drive and sell, with a fly back. Guy who bought my Beetle offered to pay my expenses to drive the car out to him. So I'm about to embark on a 3000ish mile cross country road trip. Looks like I'll be taking route 70 for most of the trip. I have layover...
  4. D

Anyone a member of the Baltimore bio diesel coop?

I want to buy 5 gallons of bio to mix with my regular diesel. We can meet there, or I can give you a 5gallon jug for when you go. Whatever works best for you. . Thanks.
  5. D

Ross tech micro can

Vw now owns my 2012 passat. This doesn't work on older models (like the alh I bought to replace it). So I'm selling it. $100 if you pick it up. MD near Ft. meade. 21054 zip. Or $120 shipped.
  6. D

2001 5speed beetle TDO 150k miles

SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD! Selling a 2001 Volkswagen Beetle 5speed DIESEL. 150xxx miles. Has heated leather seats HID headlights. Sprint 520 injectors (not yet installed, but will be unless new owner doesn't want them to be) Sunroof with deflector (not installed yet, will be first non rainy day)...
  7. D

ABS still engaging with pulled fuse

I picked up a 2001 TDI beetle pretty cheap. I have been going through and fixing all the neglected stuff. So far so good until today. The car has an ABS issue. ABS engages when slowing down. Around 5mph or so the ABS will engage. Even if you aren't braking. Searched and found it's probably...
  8. D

2000 ALH auto near DC

Yes it's an auto. But the 01M has been good to me. When I bought it I planned to do a manual swap once the 01M gave me problems. That was 100k ago. So far, the 01M has been fine. Anyway, She's in good mechanical shape. Lots of new parts in the last 30k. I haven't been getting any real interest...
  9. D

Make the 01M stronger? better

First off let me say that a 5 speed swap isn't happening. I already have issues with my left knee and ankle thanks to injuries. It's getting to the point where shifting will soon be completely impossible (now it just hurts if I do it too much) Anyway, I have a 2000 alh with an 01M. It's been...
  10. D

Breaking 100k on NMS

I know a few of us have. But I don't think it's too many. I noticed yesterday on my way how that I was at 99,999. So I took a picture at 100,000. In that time I've had 1 adblue heater failure, and a blower motor failure. Other than those 2 things, it's just been the usual consumables items...
  11. D

When does DEF injection start?No light with empty tank

I replaced my Adblue heater today. Once it was in I cleared the code. I put my rear lights in and went for a drive to see if the code came back. 2 miles away and I was happy the CEL didnt come on. Then it dawned on me. Shouldn't the adblue sensor be telling me I'm out of adblue? The tank was...
  12. D

Front bumper holder bracket thingie

I can't be the only one whos bumper hangs a little. The front bumper is sooo low it seems to catch on every parking curb. Anyway, when I went to reseat the bumper I noticed that the bracket thing that the sides go into is broken. So the bumper wont sit flush. I wanted to replace that but can't...
  13. D

WTB MK4 ALH stock exhaust

I know some of you guys have upgraded to after market exhaust. I want to buy a complete, stock, turbo back exhaust. Mine has developed a leak. Instead of spending $400 to fix it, or $600 to replace with aftermarket... I'm hoping to buy one of yours. You probably have it just sitting in the...
  14. D

4 mile commute. Sell my ALH?

I finally moved closer to work. I went from a 52 mile each way commute, to a 4 mile (pure stop and go) each way commute. My 2000 ALH TDI has been a great car. It definitely was the right call for my old commute. With winter coming I'm a little worried that I wont even get up to operating...
  15. D

Moved to DC. Diesel inspection required?

I recently moved to Washington DC. I came from Maryland which does not emmisions test diesel vehicles. According to the DC website I have to take all my vehicles to DC inspection. I can't find anything that states if diesels are exempt or not. I wouldn't care except my jetta has a CEL on...
  16. D

TDI Miata. It's time

I have been kicking this idea around for some time. I like the idea of a super light chassis with a diesel engine in it. To me this would be the perfect commuting car. Great on fuel. Reasonably fun to drive. The ability to drop the top in summer. The only other diesel Miata I have seen had a 3...
  17. D

2000 ALH dies randomly. Not relay 109

So recently my 2000 Jetta TDI ALH has been dieing randomly. I'll be driving along and it will just lose power and die. No rhyme or reason. It will restart after about 5 minutes. Usually after some major cranking. Once it restarts, everything is fine. Runs like normal. After searching here I...
  18. D

Backwards CEL question

When I got the car 3 years ago we deleted the EGR while fixing a few other things. It of course triggers the CEL. So my CEL has been on for 3 years. I would run a scanner on it every other week or so to make sure there were no other codes. No real issues (glow plugs once, replaced along with...
  19. D

WTB 20 gallons or so of B100. Near Baltimore

I would like to fill 2 or 3 diesel containers and top off my tank with b100 to bring home. I'm in Baltimore, MD but willing to drive a little ways (less than 2 hours each way please). We can work out pricing. I want someone who has been making bioDiesel for a while and makes good stuff. Thanks
  20. D

Should I buy it?

So a guy at work has a 2001 5 speed Jetta TDI (the base model with roll up windows) with 192,xxx miles. According to him the only issues with the car are the rear strut mounts. Apparently you can grab the whole assembly and move it up and down when the car is jacked up in the air. And the car...