Search results

1. Beowulf

Rear Wheel Bearings - Packing with Grease after pressed into drum?

The machine shop didn't pack the races and inner bearings with grease before pressing them into the hub. What is the best way to pack the bearings with grease now that they're in the drum. The instructions I've been able to find assume the bearing is packed with grease before being pressed in...
  2. Beowulf

Jetta Starts and Idles, but won't rev past 1600rpm

1998 Jetta TDI (AHU) with 328101 miles on it. It starts and idles fine, but will not rev past 1600 RPM. CEL is on. VAG-COM auto-scan output is below. IF the engine is held at its max RPM (around 1600) after about 5 - 7 seconds grayish/white smoke will come out of the tailpipe (I'm guessing...
  3. Beowulf

Replaced Fuel Injectors and now leaking banjo bolt on #3

I bought some PP357s from Kerma TDI along with the injector service and hot swap program. Removed the old injectors without any problems (thank you, Metalnerd and Mr Slide Hammer). Got everything re-installed (old sealing washers all came out and new sealing washers all went into the...
  4. Beowulf

WTB Mk3 TDI Badges (front grill and trunk lid)

So, I snapped the TDI badge on my grill yesterday while washing the car. I'm looking to buy an intact front badge grill and a spare TDI trunk lid badge, too. Would like to pay about $15 + shipping, if possible. Thanks.
  5. Beowulf

Locating parts for an AFN TDI

I'm looking into buying this Eurovan. Z & S Imports swapped in a AFN TDI engine and I'm trying to figure out how easy it would be to source routine maintenance parts for it (oil, oil filter, fuel filter, air filter, etc). From what I've read on the TDIClub forums the AFN is basically an AHU...
  6. Beowulf

Heated Washer Nozzles for Passat

I bought these heated washer nozzles off ebay for my Jetta but they don't fit. VW part no. 191 955 985A. I'm looking to get $15 plus shipping.
  7. Beowulf

WTB: Glove box for 98 VW Jetta

The latch on my glove compartment broke so I'm looking to replace my glove compartment (VW part number 1HM 880 980). If anyone is parting out a 1998 or early 1999 VW Jetta, please let me know. I'm looking to pay about $20 + shipping for the part. Ideally, I'd like to get the same color as...
  8. Beowulf

VA Emissions Inspection Criteria

My 1998 Jetta TDI currently has a P0380 (glow plug/heater circuit malfunction) code and the CEL is lit. Does anyone know if it will pass the OBD2 scan done for the VA diesel emissions inspection that went into effect this year? I asked my brother (a Loudoun County Deputy), but he didn't know...
  9. Beowulf

Replacing Outer Tie Rod End

I have a number of dumb tie-rod questions. Please bear with me. The rubber boot on my left outer tie rod end ripped a while back and the joint has started making metally scrapy noises. It seems to me that one can replace just the outer tie rod end. Is this correct? These two threads seem to...
  10. Beowulf

Premium Diesel list has moved to new location

The Premium Diesel list is no longer being hosted by Brinkster effective today, 2007-04-24 @ 15:30 EDT. I was running into bandwidth issues on my limited brinkster account (presumably because a user was repeatedly grabbing one of the databases on their). The list has been moved to my own...
  11. Beowulf

VAG-COM list moving to new location

The VAG-COM list is no longer being hosted by Brinkster effective today, 2007-04-24 @ 15:30 EDT. I was running into bandwidth issues on my limited brinkster account (presumably because a user was repeatedly grabbing one of the databases on their). The list has been moved to my own machine and...
  12. Beowulf

WTB: Rear Parcel Shelf Tweeter/Speakers for 98 Jetta

The clips have broken on both the plastic mounting brackets for the tiny tweeter speakers that mount on the parcel shelf on my 98 Jetta. They rattle around now, which is mildly annoying as well as unsightly.
  13. Beowulf

Front Toe Eye on A3

I had the great joy today of learning how the front tow eye screws in on my A3 Jetta (it looked like just half an inch of snow but it had turned it tightly packed snow-ice-gravel). Anyway, the tow eye screws in anti-clockwise (not like a normal screw). It took me a minute or so to figure that...
  14. Beowulf

Leaky Injector Pump - Always the Top and Middle seal?

I discovered earlier this week that the injection pump on my 1998 Jetta TDI is leaking. I'm having a hard time discerning where the leak is located. I've read through the sticky found here: sticky - http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=115689 top and middle seals -...
  15. Beowulf

505.00 Oil in an old diesel 1.6L

Would there be any benefit to running a 505.00 approved oil in a 1.6L non-turbo diesel? There's no turbo, but I don't know if the "shearing pressures" around the cam lobes are as much a concern as on TDIs. The owner's manual calls for an SAE multi-grade oil meeting the CD spec. Recommended...
  16. Beowulf

Re-paint axle

While changing the oil today, I noticed something on the driver's side. There's a small plastic "shield" that attaches to the control arm to the front of the axle (presumably some sort of dirt/mud/water shield thing). Well, it must have gotten hit by some road debris and been pushed so that...
  17. Beowulf

VW Standard vs SAE viscosity?

I've been searching for and reading through lubricant posts over the past couple of days and have learned a lot about how the various VW Standards play out. (Thanks to DD for posting the following chart.) I have a 1998 VW Jetta TDI (ein Diesel-Motor ohne Pumpe-Duese), so the relevant standard...
  18. Beowulf

Oil Warning Buzzer on 98 Jetta

I cracked the funnel for my dipstick tube a couple weeks ago and finally installed the new funnel yesterday. I was quite careful to remove the old pieces of brittle plastic that were still attached to the dipstick tube and am 90% confident that no small pieces fell down into the oil pan. While...
  19. Beowulf

Which Bleeder To Buy?

I've been putting off getting a brake bleeder for a while now and have finally decided to get off my ass and do it. There seem to be 3 different bleeders listed here: http://www.motiveproducts.com/02bleeders.html with descriptions that suggest they'll work with my 1998 Jetta (model 0100, model...
  20. Beowulf

Boot Replacement on Outer Tie Rod end

I started noticing an intermittent groaning/creaking sound about 2 weeks ago when turning the steering wheel on my 98 Jetta. It has started to occur more frequently and as such I was able to pinpoint where it was coming from and the conditions when it occurs. The sound comes from the left front...