Search results

1. R

Weakest internal???

So with all that in mind if you were building from scratch what compression ratio would you aim for?
  2. R

Question regarding compression height of stock pistons...

Yes I think that's what I'll end up doing. Finding forged pistons is one thing, then finding someone that has stock is yet another issue. Main reason for forged was just to have the higher heat handling ability.
  3. R

Thanks for the replies, I'll do some reading. As for the forged pistons, I've heard good and bad about them. The biggest thing I have heard is that they tend to slap when they are cold due to the fact that they expand more than a billet piston . This may not be an issue on a gasser that heats...
  4. R

Thanks for the reply, those are the ones I am aware of, was just hoping to get the same thing in a forged version. It's amazing how people put words in your mouth and assume how you are going to build things or that you are going to screw things up without even knowing who you are or what your...
  5. R

Why? what will they do that I can't?
  6. R

Roger that! I have seen videos of PD engines putting out around 400HP (dyno'd) with pretty much stock bottom ends (PD150 block), so this would just be icing on the cake. Plus it gives me something to brag about when people ask what's been done to it, lol. I'm going to persue the forged pistons...
  7. R

Decided to finally build up my ALH...

Yes your absolutely right, and if you look in my description that's exactly what I will be doing. As a matter of fact I already have the trans. It's an 02Q so it's one step better than the original 02M design. I'll just have to deal with the speedo issue, Either drill an access for the stock...
  8. R

Actually there are pistons available for that very purpose, but the ones I have come across are billet pistons. That's ok, and I may have to end up using those, but for now I'm hoping to use forged pistons from the get go. I know everyone on here says it's not necessary, and they may be right...
  9. R

Thanks for your reply, but the problem with stock pistons is they don't allow me to deck the block. Thus my question. If I knew what the stock piston compression height was I could compare pistons that will allow for it. The block I have has over 600K on it. In My opinion that's a good thing...
  10. R

I realize many of the things I listed may be overkill, but because I'm starting with the bare block and building from there I decided I want the bottom end to survive anything I throw at it. I want to do it once and not have to worry about it. Same thing with the transmission. My friend said his...
  11. R

Yes I agree, I think it's going to need special consideration for all the mods and the overall build to make it really come to life. My friend did have his specially tuned by Kerma. He tried with Malone but said Malone just wouldn't get aggressive enough with the fuel delivery.
  12. R

Luckily I have an aquantance that has done a build similar to what I am doing and he had the same problem. He finally said the best tune he had came from Kerma. Malone wouldn't give him enough fuel so he dropped them and went with Kerma and never looked back. Thanks for the info on the ECU and...
  13. R

OK, thanks for your replies, let me clarify what I'm looking for here. Compression height of a piston is defined as the distance from the top of the piston to the center of the wrist pin hole. I realize that the thickness of the gasket can change and how that all works, but the main reason I'm...
  14. R

Hey everyone. So I have decided to build up an ALH to drop into my Jetta. I'm going to go all out with it so I have some questions, and I'm open to discussion and opinions as well. Please feel free to comment as you like. many brains are better than one I always say. So here's what I plan on...
  15. R

Hey everyone, It's been a long time since I have posted on here but it's nice to be back amongst all the smart people who are on this forum. So my question is this, what is the stock compression height of the 1.9 TDI ALH piston? Can't seem to find that info anywhere. Thanks in advance...
  16. R

911 Please help! No start issues

Ok so I ran an "output tests - 03" on the engine module with Vag-Com and everything checks out ok. No codes. I also did it on the instrument module and get no codes, (Well, except for the 1177 that is always there) but after I run the test on the instruments and go back to the engine module I...
  17. R

Hey everyone, sorry about the delay, we've been going through a heat wave here in Vancouver and quite frankly I haven't really felt like working on the car. There is cooler weather coming though so hopefully I can get back to it. Anyway, Thanks Whitedog for the comedic jesture :) I did ask Gord...
  18. R

Ok so here's an update on our progress... Changed out the injectors with a known good set. Result-No start. Changed out the crank sensor with a known good unit, Result-No start. Checked all the return hoses and have found no leaks or questionable areas. Hooked up a remote starter to check...
  19. R

Can you elaborate please? I agree with your sentence about the pressure at the injectors and quite honestly feel that changing injectors is a waste of time, but if I don't try all reasonable suggestions on here then I can't very well prove them wrong. How do you suggest I bleed the pump? Is...
  20. R

Thanks for your reply. In this case (as detailed in the posts above) we have eliminated that possibility by feeding the pump directly with gravity feed right from a container. While cranking the engine the fuel in the container goes down as the pump moves it to the return side of the tank (as...