Search results

1. B

RCD-510 Radio not Working. Power at the harness?

The radio in our 2010 Jetta SW just died. I pulled it out and it is the RCD-510 premium 8 version (1K0035180AC). Before buying a new one I decided to check the harness but I am not getting any voltage there connecting the brown cable and red/yellow ones? The ground (brown cable) tested fine...
  2. B

Headlight Assembly

I was able to find one from a GTI. The part number is 5K0 941 005 C. Looks like my 2010 Jetta Sportswagen TDI needs 5K0 941 005 D. What is the difference? Would 5K0 941 005 C fit?
  3. B

Headlight Assembly

I need to replace the headlight assembly (halogen) on our Jetta Sportswagon 2010. I am not considering an upgrade at this time and I would just like to replace the one that is broken. I called the dealer this morning and it is around $400. Any suggestions where I could get one for less? I guess...
  4. B

Broken Timing Belt

http://www.worldimpex.com/parts/german-timing-belt-kit_539092.html I never had a problem with this kit and with their parts in general. I guess it just was not my day :).
  5. B

Broken Timing Belt

It just seems that the intensity can differ a lot. I cannot find the imprint on mine. I helped to replace a head on a TDi that my friend owned and it was quite obvious. I read several posts where people say it was quite load, bent/shattered the lifters to pieces or made a big imprint/hole. It...
  6. B

Broken Timing Belt

I was going 70 mph down the freeway and the timing belt broke. It was all very smooth and I could not hear a thing. It just started to lose power. I opened the hood and there it was - broken timing belt with a seized tensioner. I replaced it all about 15k ago. I pulled the head yesterday...
  7. B

Towing

Thanks for the reply. It makes sense that only the least common denominator trully matters. The difference in weight between class I and class II isn't that big. I think I will go with the one that is better built. Nice trailer Darkscout. This is pretty much what I need (maybe something a...
  8. B

Towing

I just installed Reese Shadowmount I hitch. It looks great. It has max towing capacity of 2,000 lbs (class I). I read that the recommended towing weight for my B4 is 1,500 lbs so this should be sufficient. Now I am considering purchasing a trailer. They seem to have similar ratings to hitches...
  9. B

Parting out 1996 Passat TDI

I need a steering wheel with clock spring and master clutch cylinder. Is it availalbe? Thanks
  10. B

Last Call**** 1996 Passat Headed to the Crusher

I need the steering wheel and master cluch cylinder. Is it available? Thanks.
  11. B

FS: 1995 Passat body/interior parts - no engine - what do you need

I need the clock spring or the steering wheel if the clock spring is still attached. How much? Thanks.
  12. B

Vacuum line between heater core hoses on firewall

You can replace the piece on the engine side. There is a little white connector that it goes to right next to two hoses that go to the core. Replacing it on the other (cabin) side would require to take the dash apart. Plus I believe it is in good shape there. I just checked mine (I am replacing...
  13. B

Heater Core - What next?

It is 1996 B4. Sorry, I forgot to mention that. Meanwhile I figured out how to do it. I was overlooking a screw that was hidden under the silver lining of the bulkhead. Once I found it I was able to take few clips off and the unit came out. The job is not too difficult but ... I just don't...
  14. B

Heater Core - What next?

I am in the middle of replacing the heater core. I removed the dashboard and now I am looking at the heating and ventilation unit. How do I get to the heater core? I don't see any screws. There are just a few clips. The repair manual does not give much detail either. It says "Locate and remove...
  15. B

Heater problems

I have currently no heat in my 96 Passat TDI. The fan runs fine but there is no heat output. It is not too bad since it is almost summer but I need to figure out what is going on (my wife drives the car most of the time :) ). I suspected the heater core but there are no leaks (no loss of...
  16. B

Oil Dipstick Broke

You can just buy the plastic (orange) part. $3 item at Impex.
  17. B

Plugged Catalytic Converter

Hello everyone, I am in a need of a new cat. I am trying to find one for a while but no one seems to have one at a reasonable price. I called our local dealership and they want over $900. Anyone knows of a cheaper solution? …And I am not necessarily looking for a 2.25” pipe to replace it...
  18. B

Rear Wheel Spindle

Hi, I am working on my rear brakes and I noticed that the spindle has a small groove in the upper part (arrow in the picture). It is rather symmetric to be made by the old bearing but I just want to make sure that the spindle is OK before I put it all together. Is this groove supposed to be...
  19. B

A/C not working

Thanks for a great link. What a great opportunity to learn more about these systems. I was checking around for parts and I run across this receiver/drier on eBay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayIS...sspagename=WD1V Is this a good deal or what? I definitely like the price but I am not...