Search results

1. D

Had to bail out

Thanks for spoiling my good night's sleep. ;) Luckily, your final sentence sums it up for me too. Kidding aside, I hear the Gen 3 EA888 has addressed at least some of the stuff you mention, and with some luck (which I'm owed at this point, right?) any other glitches will fall within the 3/36...
  2. D

Had to bail out

I said goodbye to my '10 JSW this week. I loved the car, but concluded after numerous failures that the emissions system is just not ready for prime time. The death toll was climbing: 2 EGR filters, one DPF, and the last straw, a #1 exhaust gas temp sensor. In 50,000 miles I never drove more...
  3. D

I Wonder Why It Wanders?

This post scares me a little [g]. I'd want to have a real good look at all of the bushings and suspension mounts, front and rear, with some special attention to any up front that would create a change in caster or toe-in, both of which can make the car wander or change track mid-corner. -dan
  4. D

Check Engine Light - Exhaust Flap

Picked up the car this morning and it runs fine. The bad news is that under warranty the RO does not show part numbers and I didn't have time to wait while they retrieved same for me. However, the tech did say that the sensor he replaced threads into the EGR filter and was seized. So I have no...
  5. D

Tomorrow I am due to pick up the car with a new EGR filter and DPF and one new sensor, though the SA could not tell me what sensor we are talking about [sigh]. I'll report back with part numbers once I make sure the car is running OK. I would really like to know as much as possible about the...
  6. D

Good info. Thanks. But one correction: I got numerous CELs prior to this most recent one: "P0401/001025 - Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) System: Insufficient Flow Detected." So they replaced the EGR filter. I never got a DPF light. -dan
  7. D

UPDATE: They still didn't have the code for me, but they have ordered a new DPF and a new EGR filter (which is only about 2 months and a thousand miles old) and it's all on Veedub's nickel. -dan
  8. D

Henry, I held off mentioning that because I've been semi-flamed in the past for suggesting that putting additives in these cars is a very risky idea. So to answer your question, no, not one drop of anything but ULSD. -dan
  9. D

Sounds logical, but wouldn't sensor failure trigger a CEL?
  10. D

I don't have the code yet, but over the phone have been told by the service advisor that the DPF is toast and is "not flowing properly." VW is covering it under the emissions warranty and they've ordered the parts and reserved me a loaner. If it's not too far off-topic here, any ideas about...
  11. D

Right, but for those of us who do not have expensive diagnostic gear, the actual code will have to wait until I get to the dealer tomorrow. Also, I posted actual codes when this problem began two months ago. -dan
  12. D

Our CELs must be communicating, because mine went out today while doing errands. But it did this once or twice during the last go-round as well, so I'll get the word on Thursday whether the dealer owns this round or not. -dan
  13. D

Long term my eye. About 1000 miles later, the check engine light is back on. May be time to get rid of this lemon. -dan
  14. D

UPDATE: VoA is buying the repair (new EGR filter and plumbing). They didn't elaborate on why, but my "case" as presented by me over the phone consisted of product loyalty (have bought a fair # of Veedubs over the years), only 2k miles out of warranty, emissions-related problem in a "California"...
  15. D

OK, the dealer says the EGR filter has failed and is not covered by the federal 80k warranty, so it looks like a $700 soaking for yours truly. -dan EDIT: After a surprisingly pleasant conversation with a VW customer care rep, VoA is at least considering some "help" on this -- I should know...
  16. D

Light is back on, appointment Thursday. -dan
  17. D

Add me to the list - maybe. Got a MIL while on a trip ('10 JSW TDI, around 38k miles). Car ran fine so I finished the trip and on the way home the light went out by itself. Came back on a day or so later, so a friend with VAG-com read the code. It was "P0401/001025 - Exhaust Gas Recirculation...
  18. D

Can someone simplify the CR system for me?

Just follow oilhammer's excellent schematic explanation. Shrapnel is pumped into the rail, some contaminates the injectors, the rest flows along with the excess fuel back to the tank, where the lift pump sends it to the filter and HPFP again and the cycle repeats until there is a failure. -dan
  19. D

CEL + glow plug light + whoosh = ?

@maxedtdi: Thanks, I have a calendar and know what decade it is. Speaking of which, my wife's '03 Passat is still rolling on its OEM battery to which I have added water as needed (roughly 2x a year), with no acid damage or other issues. @JSWTDI09: Thanks. I have demanded the parts; they say...
  20. D

CEL + glow plug light + whoosh = ?

Yes, so can I, but if battery acid rots rubber than every battery ever installed in any vehicle is about to fail catastrophically, right now [g]. Of course your choices with the "maintenance free" battery are to leave the seals unbroken and let it dry out (probably right around when the...