Search results

1. B

How much to sell for?

I don't think it's that tough. I got 7 interested parties, 20 minutes after I put the ad up. They're all asking about price obviously.
  2. B

How much to sell for?

My 2002 Golf blew the turbo earlier this week. I was wavering fixing it myself, and the wife wants me to sell it. How much should I ask for it. I honestly have no idea. Car has 178k on it. Engine @158K. Engine replaced last year, along with clutch and timing belt. Did it myself. The car needs...
  3. B

Rattle followed by blue grey smoke and no power

This morning on the way to work my 2002 TDi had some issues. The car seems to have been burning more oil lately. Driving in I heard a whining sound between 2 and 3K rpm. Not the normal sound just to be clear. A couple minutes later I hear a metallic sound, lose power and the engine won't rev...
  4. B

Engine Replacement By A Dummy

So I've checked all the turbo intake piping. It's all securely connected. Started the car and ran my hand along pipes. I didn't feel or hear anything at idle. Any idea on what to check/do?
  5. B

Hmm not perfect yet. Went for a spin last night. I had suspected the turbo was whining a bit too much. When I put the pedal down and increased the load, there was a loud hissing sound. I suspect an intake hose has popped off, or come lose. It was too late and I was too tired to look at it last...
  6. B

It's alive! Put it back in yesterday. Didn't get started until 2pm. Took 10 hours to get it in and everything hooked up. This morning stuck in the battery, put in power steering fluid, and away it went after about 30 seconds of cranking. Lots of black and blue smoke at first and running...
  7. B

SO I finally got all the parts and tools Monday. Tuesday and Wednesday night were spent replacing clutch with VR6 clutch, oil pan, and timing belt. The timing belt took awhile. We had to backtrack twice. The first time, we didn't have the camshaft at TDC. Only realised it after we were trying...
  8. B

Not installed yet. Still waiting on parts from metalman. Stuck in traffic I guess. No help that today is a holiday :-( With the long weekend I was hoping to get it back in :-/
  9. B

Grenaded Engine

Ya it's moving along. Pretty daunting task though, considering I have never done this before. That being said, my dad and neighbor are like two little kids. You have to fight to get to do something. It's a 'man' competition. A bit nervous about putting the new one back in. No idea how you...
  10. B

We got the engine out this morning. A little duct tape and JB Weld, and it should be good as new. I spent most of the rest of the day moving over hoses, and cleaning bits. Need to order some parts to replace broken lines, rusted studs etc ...
  11. B

Grenaded Engine

'It's dead Jim ...'
  12. rod thrown through block

rod thrown through block

rod through block
  13. B

This is a follow up to the thread on my grenaded engine, caused by a diesel runaway. http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=314247 I'm going to attempt to chronicle the engine replacement, as I haven't seen a similiar thread. The replacement engine on the crane. Removed from a 2003...
  14. Replacement engine

Replacement engine

replacement ALH engine
  15. axle bolts

axle bolts

Axle bolts to remove, with 12pt male sockets, as part of engine replacement.
  16. front bumper removed

front bumper removed

front bumper removed, as part of carrier removal, and engine replacement.
  17. carrier removed

carrier removed

radiator drained, and carrier completely removed, as part of engine replacement.
  18. B

Grenaded Engine

In the process of taking the engine out. The clutch slave cylinder bolts on to the transmission with two bolts. I take it I can just undo them with no bad effects?
  19. B

Any way to confirm quality of turbo?

As posted here http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=314247 I blew an engine because of the turbo seal. I picked up a used engine with 130,000km on it. Is there anything I can do to make sure the turbo on the new engine is good/decent? I really don't want to have it happen again. Cheers...
  20. B

Grenaded Engine

Thx jettawreck. You make it sound easy. My old man is jazzed to do it :-) He really likes this stuff. As for taking pictures of the hoses, I'll do that once I get the car back home tomorrow :-)