Search results

1. R

Buyback completed tonight

We arrived at our buyback about 2:05, ahead of our 2:30 appointment on the 22nd. Sales guys were there. Told them we were going to pick up a Miata the next day. They asked whether that replaced the Jetta. Said, "No, it's for fun." The Mazda3 bought back in September replaced the Jetta...
  2. R

Buyback COMPLETED Car is now in Dealership Lot

Sold our TDI back to VW on December 22nd. Arrived early and had the check in our credit union before the scheduled appointment time. Guys were commenting about how nice our car looked. Next day, went to Midlothian and picked up our 2013 Miata GT. Do not recommend Haley Toyota. They...
  3. R

Buyback Today 12/22

Ours was today, too @ 2:30. Arrived 25 minutes early and had the check in the bank before the scheduled buyback time. The sales guys found my little notebook I keep for all my vehicles and tried to give it back to me. I told them, no; it goes with the car. They were raving about how...
  4. R

things you absolutely HATE about your VW/TDI?

There's a similar post to this one in the folder at the bottom about Dieselgate. We both loved this car until it started ringing up false alarms. First off was a dingaling about the pressure drop across the DPF. Guess that was valid. We got it fixed. This was around 60k miles. Then...
  5. R

If you are considering buyback which cars are you looking at as replacements?

I'd as soon they use the exact same tune, etc. as in the Mazda3 2.0 liter engines. They take regular fuel with 13/1 compression. Then they'd have enough performance AND give about 40 mpg (if you just prorate on the weights of the vehicles, which works for engines of same fuel and injection...
  6. R

Starting a TDI in Extremely Cold Weather

Haven't had to start out TDI in really cold weather all the times we've owned it, but I've had experience with a 220D, 240D and now 3 diesel tractors. One really important thing on all the above vehicle engines was to apply about 1/3 to 1/2 throttle. You, of course, let up on the throttle...
  7. R

Congratulations. We bought a Mazda3 sGT in September with 6M. Couldn't get the heated seats in a 6 with 6M. Really love our 3 sGT. Now gonna pick up a 2013 Miata with 8,780 miles on it the day after we drop off our TDI. The Miata is a bit more growly that the extremely smooth 3 sGT...
  8. R

We're on our way to getting a 2nd vehicle to replace our VW. Test drove a couple Miatas yesterday. Settled on the 2nd one with 8,780 miles on it, a 2013 GT. The 1st one was a bit ROUGH running and all. Both with retractable hardtops. Wife is providing a credit card for a deposit right now...
  9. R

Has anyone selected check yet?

Just got the buyback appointment, December 22nd @ 2:30 p.m. Had 2 VWs, a Cabrio and a Jetta. Guess that'll be it. Wanted one back in 1963 when I bought a 1957 Chrysler monster with automatic. Wanted a Beetle with stick shift. Couldn't afford one. Got the Chrysler for $400. Any Beetle I...
  10. R

Notarized Offer approved then nothing

Same here. Registration is due about the end of December. Hoping not to have to pay it.
  11. R

Has anyone selected check yet?

My wife doesn't like having to give them our banking information. She's elected to have a check.
  12. R

Still angry with VW after buyback?

Good for us; got more money for our old one. Wanted to get another one anyway. The downside is there are no other sticks shift diesel sedans available. Went with a Mazda3.
  13. R

The CX-5 recently won MT's SUV comparison test, too. Didn't know it'll have the diesel (and stick!) this quickly. Fuel mileage should be somewhere between 32 and 36, depending on whether it prorates up 20% from the gas values (27) or on weight (10% heavier) from our Jetta TDI. Cannot...
  14. R

Leaving a '01 jetta for 3 months?

Keaton85 is correct. Once stored a Benz for 9 months. I took the battery out and took it to the basement where I put 2 timers in series through to a trickle charger. Each timer was set to run for only about 30 minutes. So, once in a while when both timers were on, the battery would get a...
  15. R

No more Diesel for US from VW

Think Mazda has announced a diesel for the CX-5. Hoping for a diesel for the Mazda3 or 6 in about 6 years when I'll want another.
  16. R

Mazda's TDI to Mazda incentive

Good to know. Bought a Mazda3 in September. Got $2k off MSRP on it. Now considering a Miata. Will check into this once the Jetta is out of our garage.
  17. R

Annoying things you won't miss

Overall mileage on our TDI for 76.5k miles has been 40.2 mpg. Our current Mazda3 is doing 36.8 after 4k miles.
  18. R

Annoying things you won't miss

Won't miss the frequent "glow plug" lights and "check engine" lights dues to turbo boost. Kept attaching the vagcom and turning these off. Yeah, the engine stalling if it drops a tad below some computer-set speed was annoying. On our Mazda3 so far, I've stalled it ONCE in nearly 3 months. Had...
  19. R

Is it bad to let your TDI sit long term?

Ours is just sitting. Cannot drive it because inspection sticker isn't valid. Will just drive it to the dealer about 8 miles away when they tell us to bring it in. May stick a battery tender on it if it sits for very long. At worst, can just jump start it before taking it in. Once had a...