Search results

1. mrGutWrench

Found my A/C problems.

I like the idea of repairing an existing harness but for completeness I thought I would post the VW part number. Does anyone have a measurement (I guess between centers of the ring terminal) for the length of the heavy-weight cable & what's the wire gauge either ga. or metric x-section)? Mine...
  2. mrGutWrench

30A fuse for fans blowing after replacing fuse box and alternator cable

Note on Fan Control Module -- About this time last year, I "lost" all A/C. I'd switch it on normally and everything would seem to work; the blower would come on at all four speeds as usual, the A/C "button" light illuminated, and the temp control worked; the only thing was that the temp would...
  3. mrGutWrench

30A fuse for fans blowing after replacing fuse box and alternator cable

I had a leak at the cabin filter cover a few years ago. At the same time, I noticed that the condensate drain was not dropping any water when the A/C was on (central NC is humid in the summer) so I investigated and found something like a small acorn stuck in the drain /go figger!!/ -- no wonder...
  4. mrGutWrench

'03 ALH Jetta, 5Sp, Power loss/engine cut out climbing hills, P0252 code (Fuel Starvation)

Just after I wrote that post above, the Missus and I took off for a late-summer vacation. I got home about a week ago. Since then, I finished up a little clean-up work that I had to leave when we were on vacation and I've driven my TDI about 200 miles around town plus a 90-mile one-way round...
  5. mrGutWrench

'03 ALH Jetta, 5Sp, Power loss/engine cut out climbing hills, P0252 code (Fuel Starvation)

I drove about 20 miles today. I had the first start yesterday after the new fuel pickup assembly and also a new thermo-T. It took a good bit of bleeding the injectors but it roared to life smoothly once it caught. This was Tuesday PM - I drove it about 3 miles on town streets and it was...
  6. mrGutWrench

Thanks for that info. Just because I could, I took a look at the connector nipples on my fuel pickup assembly and they were OK, after 557K. But the pickup tube strainer was badly clogged (I couldn't pull fuel through it with my oil change pump) and then I found the broken Thermo-T. Another...
  7. mrGutWrench

Timing Belt Decision in North Carolina

Yeah, their work is (generally) excellent, although they dropped the ball a couple of times for me. Long waits and extreme prices, but (usually) very, very good work.
  8. mrGutWrench

Headliner adhesive that works?

Yes, my experience, exactly.
  9. mrGutWrench

Air Conditioning worked intermittently and stopped...

Yep. I had to change my Fan Control Module about a year ago. I did the fan operation check (I think that there's a "stickie" post at the top of the A4 Forum) and the fans didn't work (at all, in my case). I had a couple of hundred thousand miles on them so I assumed it was a fan problem -- if...
  10. mrGutWrench

IBW Gets a New Engine

That's a lot of miles for someone who has so many TDIs, Peter. I'm about 100K ahead of you on my '03 Wagon (my only ride); it's an '03 built in August of 2002, it has the sliding VW cupholders etc. and a number of other '02 parts; VIN ends in 00059.
  11. TeeFail.png

TeeFail.png

12. MrG's Photos

MrG's Photos

13. mrGutWrench

Hi, JW. You were saying that you found a little crack in the fuel pickup assy? I didn't know that VW had fiddly little parts that can fail and spoil your whole day ... or week! https://forums.tdiclub.com/index.php?media/teefail-png.149213/ VW is back running again. It took two 10 second...
  14. mrGutWrench

Thanks, JW. Life is been a little busy for me lately but the Jetta Wagon has served me well. About 5 years ago. I got married for the first time (age 69) to a Minnesota transplant to NC and - being married to a Minnesota Viking Warrior Queen - I don't have much time on my hands. Thanks for the...
  15. mrGutWrench

Thanks. I have always had in my mind that there was a good chance that the pump was toast. I've always been aware that no matter how sure you are that you've solved a big, obvious problem, you have to be sure that that was the *only* problem. The fuel pickup in the tank was about as solidly...
  16. mrGutWrench

'03 ALH, 557,000 miles. I was having intermittent power reductions on the road, about once a week for 4 weeks - OK at 75 Mph cruise but stumbling on hills. Despite the intermittent symptoms, it was running fine, good mileage (about 52 Mpg/tank), easy starts. Then a couple of weeks ago, I went...
  17. mrGutWrench

Shifter identity

I love this website.
  18. mrGutWrench

Shifter identity

I recently broke one of the shift cables (worn out at 550,000 miles) and as part of that repair rebuilt the shifter box with the Diesel-Geek upgrade. I suspect that that upgrade is only for the 2000MY+ plus type, but it's a great improvement. As to your adjustment question, the later type has...
  19. mrGutWrench

Another 2003 Jetta Wagon Replace Tail Light Question

I ran into a similar problem. Somebody "repaired" my lights to pass state inspection. When I removed the bulb holder, there was no bulb in the second spot so I guessed it needed a 21W so that's what I tried. It didn't fit, so I looked at the other side and it was 21W at the top and 5W in the...