Search results

1. P

Engine vibration at idle

Well, its 3 weeks, and $1700 later, and there's still a vibration at idle. And I get to eat my words from my last update. - its not the MAF sensor - its not the Dual Mass Flywheel (the 02J transmission failed, and my mechanic put in a used tranny with a new LUK DMF kit, and rear main seal.)...
  2. P

Engine vibration at idle

If it's the dmfw (original) the car gets the heave-go cause it's too much work to replace. But it might not be as there's no of noise or difficulty engaging the clutch, just vibes between 900 and 1000 rpm. Injectors seem balanced. That is, the adjustment for all 4 is different, but an...
  3. P

Engine vibration at idle

Meh, I think I misdiagnosed the link between advanced idle start of injection and engine vibration. I manually tested settings down to 2 deg BTDC and there was no change in vibration. Yet the engine is smooth at just a couple hundred rpm more, and if its in gear engine braking at just above...
  4. P

Engine vibration at idle

The Golf starts and runs fine, except at idle, and then there's a lot of vibration. Replaced the engine mounts as they were getting tired, and it got a little worse. Dug out my ISO-COM and VCDS and set the IQ to 4. I'd set it to 2.4 10 years ago for reasons forgotten. No help. The thing...
  5. P

Engine washing

I suspect regular engine washing without covering the alternator clutch can cause premature failure of the alternator clutch, and water introduced into the vent hole of the turbo actuator can cause corrosion and failure of the actuator, and migrating rust rust from the actuator can cause failure...
  6. P

Motor Trend Sept TDI Passat

The clutch is for 1st and reverse. If you really want your clutch to last, rev match and shift without the clutch for all other gears. :D
  7. P

Front lower control arm nut broken!! Help!

I took mine to a shop. With the car on a lift they burned a round 2" hole beneath the nut, replaced the round nut with a hex nut, and slapped a plastic cover into place in the hole. So now I can pop out the plastic cover and get a wrench on the nut. Took less than 30 minutes, charge was for...
  8. P

Caliper or parking brake?

Wish I'd asked the question you're asking. I had a sticking passenger side brake. Replacing the cable didn't help. Replacing the caliper fixed it.
  9. P

So why is the steering wheel off center from the seat?

My '02 Golf has the steering wheel offset to the center, too, but I can't remember if my older Jetta did as well. Its sort of a good position for leaning my elbow in the door shelf, and one-handing the steering wheel. Also might make it easier for tall drivers to get in the car and operate...
  10. P

Maximum range

My favorite SMS text message app of all time is probably Fuelly. At the pump, after buying fuel, you can send a text message to the fuelly number containing: Number of miles, price per gallon, and gallons to fill, (Miles Price Gal) ((M P G)), and fuelly automatically adds the fuel-up to your...
  11. P

Oil Extractor- Help?

If you already have an air compressor, you might consider getting the HarborFreight Oil extractor. http://www.harborfreight.com/6-1-4-quarter-gallon-oil-extractor-46149.html With a 20% off coupon (available in the back of any current motor week, car and driver, popular mechanics), it costs...
  12. P

Shorter Commute

I take back what I said about oil moisture being the only thing to worry about. Come to think of it, someone mentioned that the DPF VWs aren't for sale on a small Island somewhere because VW didn't believe the Islanders would have the opportunity to go for long enough drives.
  13. P

Shorter Commute

I'm no expert, but a two mile commute should create no more wear on the engine than an 8 mile commute. Provided you stick a long drive in there a couple times a month to heat up and dry out the oil. Granted, 100K miles of 2 mile commutes is more wear than 100K miles of 8 mile commutes...
  14. P

Study finds few health effects from new technology diesel engines

Nice study, but not perfect. The HEI ACES review panel criticised the study for some missing positive controls, some of which were unavoidable due to the level of funding: The (HEI ACES review) panel noted that the study design did not include a side-by-side comparison with an older pre- 2007...
  15. P

nytimes - The cost of higher fuel economy

The New York Times had an article today citing that apart from the Prius and Jetta TDI, the cost of higher economy options generally do not return their investment in the typical life of a car, assuming $4/gallon fuel prices. The included chart lists the Jetta TDI as having the fastest payback...
  16. P

2012 passat tdi wire harness at oil filter location

No visible wear yet on ours at 3500 mi. Its kind of hard to see, let alone get a picture because the branch from the harness hugs the oil filter casing and doesn't have much slack to allow it to be pulled away for inspection. Guess we'll have to wait for people with more miles to check. I...
  17. P

Real World MPG with DSG

Added a fuelly page for my wife's DSG Passat, and added the MFD consumption to the notes for each fill. On our car the MFD is tracking about 1.5 - 2 mpg higher than calculated. Still, you can't argue with 46+ mpg on a DSG for the last 1100 miles. The driving mix is a daily 100 mi total...
  18. P

Help! Captive nut on forward LCA bolt is loose.

Gingerly drove to the garage this morning with the front LCA bolt duct taped in place, and called at 9 to learn the car was repaired! $95 included fixing the captive nut, and a wheel alignment. They cut a window into the subframe. To quote Lorenzo "not a big deal, its happened before" :-) I...
  19. P

Help! Captive nut on forward LCA bolt is loose.

FWIW this particular fail was of my own making. I knocked the new bolt through with a hammer, and dislodged the nut. Instead of taking more time to line up the hole. Took the old bolt out with an impact wrench. I could imagine an impact wrench pushing out the nut if it generated axial...