Search results

1. T

mk2 to mk1 diesel intake & exhaust compatibility

I have a water damaged marinized diesel (pathfinder) 1.5 from a mk1. I have a working 1.6 from a mk2. can I use the same exhaust from the mk1 to the mk2? how about the intake? reason: mk1 ex and intake have normal bolt pattern, but are customized for heat exchanger, thus wet exhaust.
  2. T

Front Grill, bumper, below Bumper Parts. Will 86 jetta work with 85 golf?

I have a junkyard that has 3 1986 jettas. I hit a tire on the freeway and blew out the grill, bumper, and sheet metal piece blow bumper (what's that called). Car-Parts.com claims the parts for a 86 jetta aren't compatible with 85 Golf, but visually they look extremely similar, minus the...
  3. T

WTB - 1985 Golf Hatch or Glass, tail lights, grill.

1985 Golf 4 door TD needs Glass or full Hatch. wants tail lights and grill. In Central Coast of California thanks
  4. T

85 golf diesel tough 1st and reverse

Hello, I recently was grinding in 1st and reverse, 2nd and 3rd are no joy to get into, It drove fine though, for a week, until I got a new clutch cable. Once installing it, it was clear it was way too long, and the clutch wasn't able to engage. I rigged it with a block, got it to "engage" but...
  5. T

Temp Guage reads hot & blinks at key start (cold)

1985 - Golf Diesel - TD I realize a blinking light means coolant is low, solid is overheating. But should the guage read hot (off the chart hot) if the coolant is blinking low? This happens as soon as I turn the key (engine cold and not running, just the key to power).When it first started...
  6. T

Will a 83 dasher TD bolt into my 85

Well, in my previous post I was helped with the TD to NA question. Thank you for your help. But he didn't want to sell it to me when I was there cause it was Easter, so now it's too far away. BUT. I do see a 83 dasher VW engine. Will this bolt onto an 85 NA tranny without too much issue...
  7. T

85 Golf NA to TD swap, please help.

Hey gang, My first diesel, it's an 85 1.6 NA. Just blew the motor (actually my GF did) I found this motor (imported swedish 1600 td out of a rabbit overseas - http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/pts/2314205236.html). Can anyone tell me if this will bolt up to my golf, and what it would take...
  8. T

Bubbling Injector Cup - 1985 Golf Diesel

My overheating mystery ($1000 and fifth mechanic) was a little tiny easy fix. There is a restrictor inside the hose, coming straight off of the coolant reservoir (small top hose, not the bottom one). Your can see this bulging, if not, pinch down the hose until you feel it. My mechanic pulled...
  9. T

Thanks, No the whole radiator does not get hot. Flow is definitely restricted, but it's a fairly new radiator, new thermo, new waterpump, Still ran to redline. Then I had it flushed and vacuum filled after all of this just to see if that would do the trick, it did not. Would a bad heater...
  10. T

Thank you, Would either of these scenarios cause my car to overheat, or am I most likely looking at a head gasket? I didn't take it to get the coolant checked because I saw those bubbles and I just assumed that was where my air was coming from, causing the high pressure in the cooling system...
  11. T

Bubbling Injector Cup - 1985 Golf Diesel - FIXED OVERHEAT THIS IS NOT A PIC OF MY ENGINE, I'm using it to show where it's bubbling on a pic I found on the internet. 1985 1.6L NA - VW GOLF - deleted AC A Diesel mechanic (who works only on big rigs) thought I'd probably have to pull the head...
  12. T

Overheats sometimes - head gasket or trapped air.

Went to a diesel mechanic today, he pointed out that there were bubbles coming off the ring of the injector on cyl. #1. Anyone know if this is what's causing my high pressure in the cooling system? The diesel mechanic thought I'd probably have to take the head off to replace it, is this true...
  13. T

Overheats sometimes - head gasket or trapped air.

FIXED EASILY- READ BELOW orig post - 1985 Golf Diesel - 1.6L NA - AC deleted. no power steering I was overheating for a week (near end line, but not blinking red light). I replaced the water pump, thermostat, belt, alternator pulley. It worked at first day, and then did exactly what it was...
  14. T

Ignition Cylinder Lock - 85 Golf - How do I remove?

Thank you, that did it. I swiss cheesed it a bit, but I eventually found it.
  15. T

Ignition Cylinder Lock - 85 Golf - How do I remove?

I have the service manual, so if you know where in there I can find it, but I don't see a thing. Otherwise, can you tell me how to remove the ignition lock cylinder so I can install the new one I just bought. Keep in mind, I have the assembly removed already and sitting on my bench, I just can't...
  16. T

NOOB question: '85 1.6 diesel to turbo diesel. Is this possible?

I'm just getting into the diesel world, so forgive my lack of knowledge, but every time I search for the subject of turning a naturally aspirated diesel into a turbo diesel, all I get is a sea of gas to diesel conversion results. Can someone please explain if it is possible and/or worth while...
  17. T

500 psi comp. and 60 psi at idle GOOD or BAD?

If I were to buy a 96 passat with these numbers, is that good or bad? What can I expect, if anything, by these numbers. 500 psi engine compression 60 psi oil pressure at idle The Passat has 230K miles Thank you for your help.