Search results

1. josh8loop

FS: 2002 VW Jetta TDI manual w/ taller 5th gear

Fellas, I really didn't want to do this since I love my little car, but I don't have need of it right now and I don't have the time to get the interior and exterior paint sorted out. Engine has around 256 K miles on it, head was rebuilt 150K ago. Needs a TB done in the next 10-15k miles...
  2. josh8loop

Been thinking about co-fueling my ALH TDI...

Fellas, I have been interested for a long time about co-fueling my TDI. This has been done in the past with people using propane, LNG, etc to subsidize the diesel that is already injected by the injection pump. I am thinking of something like a 30/70 co-fuel or even as high as 50/50. The...
  3. josh8loop

Anyone have TB tools available in Treasure Coast Area?

Fellas, Looks like I need to tear into the engine a bit on the timing belt side to repair a coolant leak. Not sure if it's the water pump, or perhaps even a coolant expansion plug at the moment. In any case I will need some tooling to make sure I get it done correctly. Anyone have any tools...
  4. josh8loop

ALH TDI coolant leak from water pump? freeze plugs?

Fellas, I have had a nagging coolant leak for some time now. I found a small crack on the expansion tank that I fixed, and one other small coolant leak from one of my other coolant hoses which is now fixed. Unfortunately those two leaks were very small and my issue appears to be elsewhere...
  5. josh8loop

Ethanol used to partially fuel a TDI engine???...

Fellas, During some recent research on Ethanol addition to gasoline engine and the severe consequences to fuel injection system components and rubber elastomers I came across a YouTube video mentioning the use of Ethanol to fuel a Diesel engine. It seemed curious to me since diesel is a...
  6. josh8loop

A4 Jetta TDI Clear Teflon Fuel Line/Injector Return Line Upgrade...

Fellas, Quite a while back I had issues with the dreaded air-in leakage effecting startability of my TDI. At that time I had the 01M transmission and from what I understand the automatic transmission equipt vehicles didn't offer the clear fuel lines from the fuel filter. Since my fuel lines...
  7. josh8loop

Possible ALH Alternator Modifications...

Fellas, For quite a while now I have been considering some modifications to my alternator to boost it's efficiency and perhaps with another modifications use it as a motive force to help get the car going after stopping at a light. Since I have experience with alternator modifications from...
  8. josh8loop

02J cannot shift out of reverse?

Fellas, Just had this happen tonight after backing into a parking space at work. First time this has happened. Put it into reverse to back into the parking spot, backed in and pushed in on the clutch(which felt normal) and couldn't get it into neutral. I ended up shutting the car off, popped...
  9. josh8loop

test

test ..
  10. josh8loop

test

test ...
  11. josh8loop

test fuelly signature...

test test
  12. josh8loop

2005 E320 CDI 92 Deg C Thermostat....

Fellas, Noticed my new to me 2005 E320 CDI engine temp is running lower than it should. It's indicating 60C in colder climates, and only got to around 80C in Florida here. I verified temps with a digital thermometer in the tank. I need to find the highest temp OEM style T-stat I can find for...
  13. josh8loop

Replacement oil cooler coolant lines.....

Fellas, Being frugal like I am I am trying to find the correct part for my car at the lowest price possible and have a question regarding part numbers. I have a 2002 jetta TDI and would like to replace the oil cooler coolant lines as mentioned above. I see the one listed on Impex as seen...
  14. josh8loop

To support my other hot coolant storage project, I need to create an engine blanket..

Fellas, In preparation of when I have the coolant heat storage device functioning, I wanted to see what I could do to insulate the engine. My thought was to insulate the coolant lines to and from the engine, and create an engine blanket to keep heat in the engine. Since I will be essentially...
  15. josh8loop

What are the "gotchas" of ownership of a 2004 Passat TDI Wagon w/124K miles?

What are the "gotchas" of ownership of a 2004 Passat TDI Wagon w/124K miles? Fellas, I need to find an new car for my wife since the old one needs work, and isn't worth investing money in to. I'm much more familiar with the ALH platform in the A4's so this is a bit of a stretch for me. The...
  16. josh8loop

If you could store 1.5 gallons of hot engine coolant would it help MPG's....

If you could store 1.5 gallons of hot coolant, would you increase MPG's when starting in cold conditions or any conditions for that matter? I know the Prius uses this type of technology with a 3 liter Dewar(vaccum canister) and a fancy pump/coolant diverter valve for their vehicles. I may have...
  17. josh8loop

I've got to know, anyone getting 60MPG in town with multiple high mileage tanks??

Fellas, I want to find out if anyone on the forum is doing 60 MPG in town for multiple tanks? I've had about 6 tanks so far that have yielded 60 MPG or more in town. I don't use AC, have a scan gage, .681 5th, timing a couple degrees advanced, and run the higher temp "Hybrid" T-stat. I fill...
  18. josh8loop

Installing leather interior-Have wet dog/musty smell-what shall I use for carpet pad?

Fellas, As title says I am prepping for a grey leather interior swap, and I want to make sure I get rid of the smell. Previous owner was a pig, and coffee and other beverages were spilled frequently. It doesn't have a sun roof by the way. I would like to get rid of the old carpet pad to take...
  19. josh8loop

Alternator modification for higher efficiency....

I would love to get ahold of an alternator for the ALH and replace the stock diodes with some low forward drop Schottkey types. Under certain electrical demand conditions this could save 30-40 watts. I wouldn't do this necessarily to see any MPG gains, since it wouldn't make much of a...
  20. josh8loop

Pressure Swing Adsorption for Oxygen addition to the intake air?....

Fellas, Anyone read information on pressure swing adsorption for producing oxygen? Seems they use them on oxygen generators for older folks and others with medical oxygen needs. Question is if it would be possible to use on on a TDI engine to boost performance or efficiency? Not sure what...