Search results

1. D

Wife totaled our 2010 Golf TDI last week. How screwed are we?

My understanding is that the offer will be based on a fixed sum of $2986.73 plus 20% of the NADA clear trade value as of mid Sept 2015 with a minimum payout of $5100 for your vehicle. That amount goes to you if you let VW do the "fix" when/if they come up with one. It is called the owner...
  2. D

Need a new battery for my Golf TDI

I just replaced the battery on my '10 Golf last week - 3 years and 3 months, 47,000 miles. Shortest lifespan ever for me for a battery. Went with an Advanced Auto AGM (3 year replacement), cost about $135 plus tax. This was an exact size match, and very similar to to AutoZone Duralast ( 5 min...
  3. D

Oil Extractor - Good idea or bad idea?

You won't get every last drop with a vacuum extractor. If there are concerns about metallic debris, a magnetic drain plug may help. BUT you don't get every drop with a pan drain either - there is a residual in the oil filter housing which you can easily get with the Pela. I've pretty much...
  4. D

In this case would a bigger tire increase MPG?

Measure the circumference of the 55's and 65's - you'll find a slight difference. Your measured mileage will be off a bit from real mileage because odometer/speedo readings will be off a little. I found the circumference was 3% higher when I upsized my aspect size by 10 (can't remember exact...
  5. D

2000 TDI Jetta - Horrible Winter MPG

They're slow to warm up in subfreezing weather unless you can get them up to highway speed. Winterized diesel fuel has lower energy content and decreases mileage. Consider synthetic tranny fluid if you don't already have it, will flow better in the cold.
  6. D

IMPEX Fest IX MAY 15,2010

A little late following up on the fractured collar bone - but I had one just like that - caused by torque steer from my TDI. Trying to keep it on the down low, if too many are discovered, there might be a recall.:eek:
  7. D

IMPEX Fest IX MAY 15,2010

Thanks John and everyone else who made this an entertaining and informative day. Great folks, great cars, great weather, lots of knowledge and skills shared
  8. D

2010 Audi A3 TDI

When the wheel is turned (or not) you may also bump the console shifter up or down. I,ve been driving manual VW diesels for 32 years aand just got a Golf DSG. Nice, but different from the manual, I'm having a hard time sensing engine speed without looking at tach. Engine is so quiet and...
  9. D

Looking for TDI in PA

I'm getting itchy for a new Golf w/ xenon. Located north of Baltimore. Original owner of 99.5 Jetta 5 speed, 173 K miles, 100,000 mile TB and pulley done at about 122K. Runs very well, no leaks, uses no oil between changes. 47-49 mpg commuting (was 49-51 before going to 16" OZ wheels) - both...
  10. D

TDI vs pot hole = pothole won, UPDATE: help plz!

TDI vs pot hole = pothole won, Need info on spare If you whacked the wheel hard enough to get a flat, I'd have the wheel alignment checked ASAP. Inspect the wheel for damage as well, you may have bent/damaged the rim. You may also wish to check your local laws, some municipalities will pay...
  11. D

89 octane!!!!

Got my first VW diesel in 1977 - a '78 rabbit. 1.5 liters. Owner's manual stated OK to go as high as 20% gasoline in winter to prevent gelling (but kerosene was preferred agent), but 10% was preferred number as I recall. I tried it twice - anti-gelling additives were hard to find in those...
  12. D

Another mis-labeled pump at BP station in Maryland

Amoco Premier at BP station in Maryland off I-95!! Vent trick - right to the brim every time. The math holds, and the numbers I cited go back to cover almost 3,000 miles so I think you can rule out any quirks. Even in the winter anything less than 50 mpg (US gallon) is bad for me - 47 mpg is...
  13. D

Another mis-labeled pump at BP station in Maryland

Amoco Premier at BP station in Maryland off I-95!! I first filled up at this BP ststion on June 2 ($1.449/gal - the cheapest diesel I've found in this area currently). Had been driving gently and not using the AC to see just how good I could get on the mileage now that winterized fuel is gone...
  14. D

loosing coolant way too much, need help

Especially if you drove it any distance like this, make sure the mechanics check the head for cracks. The spaces between the valve seats are the most likely to develop a crack. These can be very difficult to see. Best technique to detect them is to have the head Magna-fluxed (stain the head with...
  15. D

Don't pay more for a TDI MAF when a 2.0 L Gas MAF will do and is 5 times cheaper !

Re: Don\'t pay more for a TDI MAF when a 2.0 L Gas MAF will do and is 5 times cheaper ! Slap me if I'm wrong, but it appears that there are some differences in the appearances of the sensor connectors in Tongsli's pictures. The pins appear to be off center to the right in the left hand...
  16. D

Help me, does anyone have info on the Passat 8W ?

I recently saw a W8 Passat wagon at the dealers. The engine is a very tight fit. I asked the saleman how they work on them. He replied they remove the entire front clip - apparently these vehicles are designed to have the front end removed so they can get at the engine. The sales rep also...
  17. D

loosing coolant way too much, need help

I'd strongly recommend you not drive the car at all (maybe to the repair shop) until you know where the water's going. If the water pump is leaking, you should be all right. Sometimes a small amount trickles out a weep hole (I don't know if your water pump has one)only when the car is running...
  18. D

VW not paying for 15k service

Has an engine ever failed from having theoil changed too often? Not that I know of. But I am familiar with several instances of engines getting fried after oil changes because the filter wasn't properly tightened (18 ft-lbs for original Rabbit diesels as I recall - and the specification was...