Search results

1. Matt-98AHU

01M to 02j swap questions

I've swapped a TDI 5th into a 2.0 gas transmission before. It knocked it down to 3500 RPM instead of 4000. But, it's a lot closer if you're using a later 1.8T transmission with the 3.64 final drive. And there are taller-than-stock TDI 5th gears available. So, you could conceivably swap a 0.658...
  2. Matt-98AHU

Correct, there are upgrade parts, although the ends of the selector where they engage the selector collar are plastic... But, so long as you don't rest your hand on the lever while driving, they should last a reasonable amount of time. Slave cylinders are known for occasionally going out on the...
  3. Matt-98AHU

6 speed is definitely stronger than the 5 speed, especially for higher powered cars. But it has more frequent reliability issues with clutch hydraulics and selector arms inside the transmission. But the gear stacks themselves can absolutely take a lot more torque than the 5 speed without...
  4. Matt-98AHU

EDC15 part numbers for various years

These days, probably more a difference in calibration than anything. When I worked at the dealer, when you read the bulletins on available flash updates, some of the updates technically change the ECU part number as read by the scan tool, of course externally it will still have the same sticker...
  5. Matt-98AHU

A 4 cylinder gas transmission will infact bolt up and work with the TDI, but it will be geared WAY shorter than the TDI transmission. Most of the gas transmissions use a 0.84 5th gear. The TDI a 0.76 (rounding up to the nearest hundredth). To top it off, you also have wildly varied final...
  6. Matt-98AHU

Mystery pull, need help (solved)

Are the ball joints installed on the correct side? Weird things happen when you get them on the wrong side. The joint is supposed to line up with the line of the caster, when you get left and right switched, the joint now doesn't have the full range of movement it should in one direction and...
  7. Matt-98AHU

Similar pattern emerges with the Beetle. 018 XX ECUs are MSA15, 80 Pin ECUs from before model year 2000. 012 XX ECUs are EDC15 121 pin ECUs from 2000-2003. That's the easy way to distinguish. Avoid the 018s, look for the 012s. 012 N and CR on the Beetles are 2 wire EDC15. FF and GQ are later...
  8. Matt-98AHU

When I look up the 038 906 018 EB in Partslink under Jetta sedan, it gives the indication of the highest vin number it fits. 9M-X-999000 The 9M is the body style (Jetta sedan in this case). X is the model year (1999) and the final 6 are effectively the highest car serial number that the ECU...
  9. Matt-98AHU

The 018 EB should be a 99.5 only ECU. MSA15 instead of EDC15. Different number of pins and size of pins as well. 012 BD and CP are 2000-2001 EDC15 ECUs. My 2001 Golf has a 012 CP in it. BD and CP will be 2 wire glow plug system. FD and GN are 4 wire glow plugs for 2002-3. FD is 2002, GN 2003...
  10. Matt-98AHU

Poll - what's your favorite mk4/A4 body style?

I've considered the same swap on mine. If you aren't rough with them, they hold up fine. The other reason I like them better is they don't get "floppy" like the Golf vents do. They stay aimed where I want them.
  11. Matt-98AHU

Hah, some days I wish it weren't so dang long! Would make fitting into some very interesting cars a lot easier... or even some normal cars.
  12. Matt-98AHU

Golf is great for a commuter or for long road trips with 2 people. Mine gets fantastic fuel economy, too. But there are days where having a wagon is that much nicer for hauling a LOT more stuff and having the nice flat floor loading space instead of the lip the Golf has. So, really depends on...
  13. Matt-98AHU

SMF from gasser - use with VR6 clutch?

If that's what I think it is, a 2.0 8 valve clutch and flywheel, then no, it's not going to work. The 2.slo got a 215 mm clutch and flywheel kit, the TDI, 1.8T and VR6 all got 228 mm setups. It could bolt on and work, but it may hold even less torque than even the stock DMF TDI units.
  14. Matt-98AHU

How to torque wheel bearings

Ditch the Nationals, get some Schaeffler/FAG or maybe SKF.
  15. Matt-98AHU

Swapping from an immo2 cluster to an immo3 cluster

Yes, immo is part of the cluster. And I was fairly certain Immo 2 vs. Immo 3 use different RFID chips. Immo 3 may actually write some info to the RFID chip during the matching process, where immo 2 chips just have a unique ID that gets learned by the cluster. I could be thinking of immo 3 vs...
  16. Matt-98AHU

CCM upgrade questions

I also have remote windows and the hatch on central locking on my 01 Golf enabled with its original 1J CCM. So, at least as far as those features are concerned, I don't feel the need to upgrade. It sure is nice to have the hatch on central locking. Way more convenient. If you do have VDS Pro or...
  17. Matt-98AHU

CCM upgrade questions

Yes, you can still enable both remote windows and putting a wagon or Golf hatch on central locking with the 1J CCMs. The difference is with the remote windows at least, the 1C0 module only needs you to change addresses in the central module itself. The 1J CCMs require you to flip bits in both...
  18. Matt-98AHU

Swapping from an immo2 cluster to an immo3 cluster

Did you need to get the different RFID chip for your keys as well?
  19. Matt-98AHU

CCM upgrade questions

Would have to look closely at the wiring diagrams to make sure everything is in the same place/pin. Also, there may be a compatibility problem between the cluster and the convenience system CAN bus generations, but you could fix that by using a later cluster. It definitely seems to be a problem...
  20. Matt-98AHU

ALH Golf Trans to BEW Jetta?

Fun tidbit I found out recently: There are a couple 0A4 transmission codes from Mk7s with 1.8TSIs that have taller gearing than Mk4 TDIs. Same 3.39 final drive, slightly taller 3rd gear, a 0.84 4th instead of the 0.9something the TDIs have, then a 0.66 5th. Would be a great upgrade for a BRM...