Search results

1. N

06 Jetta TDI 5-speed stuck in 5th

Greetings! 3 weeks ago I had my clutch replaced and my DMF changed out to a SMF…. the car drove fine for about a week and several hundred miles. Last week on a return trip from Killeen to Houston I couldn’t get the transmission out of 5th gear. I was able to nurse it home and after looking...
  2. N

Time to Upgrade to a Passat??

Greetings all... I am just about to roll over 250k on my 06 Jetta TDI and am looking hard at the used Passat TDI market. The 06 still runs and drives well with no issues to speak of, but when I see a 2014 Passat TDI with 56k miles for 9k, I have to consider it. What have been your experiences...
  3. N

FS: 2005-2010 Jetta/Sportwagen Bentley manual

I’m trying to buy your crap!
  4. N

Parting 06 jetta

Email sent
  5. N

Houston TDI owners

Greetings all. Moved from NC to Friendswood, TX about 18 months ago. 2006 Jetta TDI, GDI EcoTune, 210,000miles and going strong. Going to change my oil tomorrow. Just sayin
  6. N

Malone Stage 1 vs. GDE Eco tunes for best MPG's

So now the question is this... Do I spend several hundred dollars on a taller 5th gear to try and break the elusive 60mpg barrier?? I am going to do some project on the car when it warms up, just haven't decided what to do yet.
  7. N

Malone Stage 1 vs. GDE Eco tunes for best MPG's

I bought my 06 used in 2011 when it had 80k on the ODO. The first several tanks that I tracked on Fuelly averaged 43mpg. Best tank was 46mpg. Then I installed the GDE ECO tune. It was a little expensive initially but has paid for itself in the long run. I have tracked about 100k miles since...
  8. N

Chip or programmer - anything good for mileage

I have the GDE tune in my 06 as well. Prior to the tune I averaged 43mpg with a best tank of 46. I have logged (on Fuelly) almost 100k miles on the GDE ECO tune and have averaged 50+ mpg over that time. 90-95% hwy miles with the cruise set for 74mph. My best tank has returned 58mpg driving...
  9. N

there goes my mileage!

In N Out Burger... Drool drool drool. We really need one of those in NC. I mean REALLY...
  10. N

Yes, it is ANOTHER Oil question

So... I was at the O'Reilly auto parts store the other day to get some oil for the 10k service. The only choices there are Shell Rotella T5 (15w40), T6 (5w40), and Mobile TDT (5w40). I KNOW that these are NOT VW approved oils. The salesman tried to tell me that Rotella was the best...
  11. N

Modifications for Mileage MkV

Greetings All, I have a 2006 Jetta TDI that I purchased in 2011 with 80k on the Odo. I found this site and FUELLY shortly after that. My first several tanks that I tracked on Fuelly yielded a 43mpg average. My best tank in that series was 46mpg. Not too bad, but I wanted more. The...
  12. N

Mpg argggg

Definitely use Fuelly to track your mileage/tank. As has been previously mentioned, monitor your driving style and adjust where you can. There are a lot of tips on this website to help you maximize your car's economy. One thing that helped my car was to have one of the tuners re-program your...
  13. N

6-speed transmission swap in an '06 Jetta

Good Evening all! IF I wanted to swap in a 6-speed gear box from a 09 (or later) MkV CR car, would that be a direct replacement for the 5-speed in my 06? I was thinking that I could get a 6-speed gearbox from an auto mall and replace my 5-speed with it. If that is not an option, what is the...
  14. N

New Tires for my 06

It is finally time to replace the tires on my 06 TDI. I bought the car 80k miles ago with new Yokohama AVID TRZ tires installed. The Yokohama's have been descent tires with excellent wear, especially since I run them at 40psi. My only issue with the tires has been road noise. A bit too loud...
  15. N

3.25 per gallon at Gaffney, SC today

Just thought I would post about the cheapest D2 price I have paid in more than 2 years. 3.259 is still hard to get excited about but... not too bad in this economy I suppose. I filled up at the QT truck stop off exit 90 in Gaffney, SC this afternoon. I was in the car lane with 2 Jettas, 1...
  16. N

Novel way to save fuel.....

That is a great idea. Perhaps we could do it in the US during the Christmas shopping season. Even though many are doing their Christmas shopping on-line, finding a parking spot at the mall can be brutal.
  17. N

What is a good performance chip?

if you want economy, you will not be disappointed with Green Diesel Engineering's Eco tune. My 5M routinely gets 50+ mpg highway.
  18. N

06 PD TDI Timing Belt and CAM recommendations

Greetings all! I will be approaching my 2nd timing belt change in a few months. I need some suggestions for the correct timing belt kit, and recommendations for a proper CAM for my car. I am all about fuel economy with my Jetta. I am running a stock Group 0 with the exception of a ECU tune...
  19. N

Planning to buy Audi A3 TDI..

Steve - That Audi looks fantastic!