Search results

1. goodmonkey

T3 Bi-Xenon bulb replacement

Video link is fixed.
  2. goodmonkey

T3 Bi-Xenon bulb replacement

I had a headlight bulb go out, but I've been slow to do anything about it because I've not been driving during hours of darkness. I finally looked into how to take care of it and the service manual says simply to take out two screws and remove the back. Seems simple enough, but that isn't the...
  3. goodmonkey

Jetta Sportwagen cuts off intermittently with multiple dash lights

Is it a loss of power or engine dying/no power? Also, are you driving a manual with the clutch in or a DSG? The initial symptoms you stated IF the engine is shutting off would indicate to me a loose ground, which you said they did find. Any time the battery is disconnected the steering...
  4. goodmonkey

2010 VW Jetta Sportwagon AC blows warm

If the pressure is too low the system will not kick on, so when you added refrigerant and got the low side high enough it allowed the system to run and tell the fans to run. Looking for a leak isn't a bad idea. Or you could run it for a while and see if it replicates, then you know there is a...
  5. goodmonkey

AC using 3mpg!

Considering you can feel a difference in acceleration on the lower HP cars when A/C is running, those figures of power and MPG difference doesn't seem shocking. It is also hard to pin down exactly how much power is needed at an exact moment in "newer" VWs that don't have a clutch on the A/C...
  6. goodmonkey

Mk5 reverse lights problem

I second looking at the wires that go to the trunk lid as the next step. It could be that the vibration of the car could break the connect and you are seeing it work when off because it is making just enough of a connection. Could be the common ground or the power wire for that circuit.
  7. goodmonkey

Air conditioning problem

If a 2001 then it is an A4 Jetta, so might have more interest in the other forum. From your description, it is hard to say. You need to look at both the low and high pressure sides with a manifold gauge set. It could be that the system is overcharged and the high pressure is getting too high...
  8. goodmonkey

Cutting wire to parking lights?

If I am understanding your setup, then I think your course of action will not help. The turn signal bulb wouldn't have a second line for the parking lights going to it. Instead it uses a single element bulb that the BCM sends a modulated signal to for both functions. If the bulb is needed to...
  9. goodmonkey

Sun/moonroof

Is that for certain? My experience with almost every VW I've had is the drains leaked, except on models that were new. I will say though my '14 hasn't leaked, yet. As for use, I don't think they are any more likely to leak if you use them or not, you do run the risk of getting more debris in...
  10. goodmonkey

Ip reseal?

Yes. I've done two IP reseals, managed to break something in them both times. For me I had to replace the big seal around the head, which is why. If it was just the around the quantity adjuster like in the video it wouldn't have happened. Lots of people have replace the head seal without...
  11. goodmonkey

Fault: AdBlue

I meant to get a picture of the loaner, but forgot. Oh well. I got the call this afternoon that my vehicle was ready, so away I went. They had to replace both NoX sensors (there are only two, right?) and it says they drained and refilled the AdBlue. I'm glad to have it back too, it doesn't...
  12. goodmonkey

Blower Motor

Agreed it is probably the brushes. When I was living in England I had an issue like this in my 98 Passat with Climatronic. I took the motor out, and could see the brushes we're getting short, but not done for. I researched replacements but it was the holidays and cold and so I tried cleaning...
  13. goodmonkey

Agreed. I do like what the system is supposed to do, make the exhaust cleaner. It would seem though things could hold up better. In other news I got a loaner today, an Audi SQ5. The dealership said it was paid for by the warranty. Glad I have that.
  14. goodmonkey

Having "fixed" TDIs is proving to be something else. My Touareg on a drive Christmas day went into limp mode about 35 miles into a trip. We turned home and switched to the Passat for the day. I later took it into the local VW dealership and they replaced a NoX sensor, which looking through...
  15. goodmonkey

Intro - I break stuff

Welcome! I've driven a few TDIs, own a couple, and worked through some problems. I second bustNfuel's statement about the OBDII Bluetooth dongle and VAG-DPF and Torque, both worth paying for the full version (a few dollars each). You can read up about the NMS platform problems, problems with...
  16. goodmonkey

Glow Plug light and engine shaking upon cold start

Do things smooth out once you have it running for a few? If so I'd agree with Oilhammer and it is worth looking for a way air is getting in the fuel line. Also, how cold are we talking? I'm around 7F today leaving work.
  17. goodmonkey

2011 VW Touareg TDI Executive - another by goodmonkey

After a few weeks in shipment it has arrived in Alaska with me. For a week without it here I drove in a Nissan Rouge AWD and it worked pretty good without winter tires (M&S). Roads are clearing up quite a bit, and I had no issue getting back to where I'm staying at. I'm going to plug it in...
  18. In Alaska

In Alaska

First photo snapped in Alaska, right after picking it up from the shipper, 26 Feb 2020.
  19. goodmonkey

Frost Heater Install - What a pain, and now a leak

I'd be in the Anchorage area, but don't know exactly where I'll live and how far it is from work. I don't think the heater will get lots of use, but if it sits a couple of days during a cold snap I'd rather have it than not. Of course VW doesn't list the o-ring, or the quick connector as a...
  20. goodmonkey

Frost Heater Install - What a pain, and now a leak

How cold does it get there? I wasn't able to find reliable data on how well the 3.0L was at starting in cold weather. The 1.6L, 1.9L, and 2.0L I've dealt with I wouldn't chance up there without one.