Search results

1. N

Losing oil, no visible leaks

147k on the clock. Just before my past two oil changes my Check Oil warning popped up. I made a note to the dealer to check for leaks, which they found none. It's only been a few thousand miles since my last oil change but just yesterday my oil light came on again. On a cold engine my levels are...
  2. N

Did I buy the correct battery?

Out of curiosity, how did you know you needed to clear the codes? Was the CEL on?
  3. N

Mk7 High Mileage Thread

About 145k, drove it off the lot in 2015 with 8 miles on the clock. I've mostly done routine maintenance, nothing major to report (knock on wood). Timing belt done at 120k. Had a radiator issue early on which was a warranty fix. Had to fix a ball joint at 110ish. Just replaced the stock battery...
  4. N

It actually went off after about 5-6 starts, but just in case I'm going to have Autozone scan it when I return the old battery. I'm used to the days when you'd just slap a new battery in it and go. Now there are beeps and flashing lights that make it seem like the car will explode in 10 seconds.
  5. N

I’ve changed my battery and the car starts and runs great, but now my check engine light is on...?
  6. N

Disregard the battery question. I’ll be using this one. I am wondering though about resetting the computer. Will this be necessary?
  7. N

My stock battery finally died after 6 years and 145k miles. I picked up this Duralast Gold at Autozone, which says it's compatible with the 2015. I noticed that it's longer than the stock battery though, and of course the battery cover won't fit around the new battery. Before I install it, can...
  8. N

Air bubbles from fuel filter housing

Thanks. I just double checked it after letting it sit for an hour and didn't notice any new fuel collecting in the gap, so I bet the bubbles were from fuel and air being pushed out when I reassembled the housing.
  9. N

Air bubbles from fuel filter housing

I just changed my fuel filter, and when I reassembled the top plate and tightened the screws I noticed a few air bubbles popping out of from a spot on the side of the housing. I thought it was just some air being worked out of the seal from the reassembly, but when I double checked my tightness...
  10. N

License plate bulbs

I'm trying to figure out which bulbs to use for my license plate, but I can't find anything from Walmart or Autozone that matches the markings on the stock bulb. Can anyone recommend a compatible bulb for me that doesn't involve the parts department at the dealer? For the record, the stock...
  11. N

WTB: 2015 MK7 17" Wheel CHI/MILWAUKEE

I'm looking for a factory wheel replacement for a 2015 MK7 17" in Milwaukee or Chicago, or anywhere in between. Tire on or off, no matter. Let me know what you have!
  12. N

17" wheel replacement

According to my local shop I have a bent wheel causing a lot of vibration. Instead of them sending the wheel off to possibly have it straightened, I would rather just try to find a direct replacement. Are there any good resources out there for factory refurbs? What should I be looking to spend?
  13. N

Confused about timing belt interval

There really is no excuse for giving the customer a confusing or poorly written maintenance schedule. Not every TDI owner understands the importance of changing the timing belt. Simply writing "The recommended timing belt replacement interval is 130k miles; however, it is also recommended that...
  14. N

Thanks for the info. Jason in Madison actually did my Mk4 belt before I got rid of it. He’s the best. Might be impractical to make the trip now for my Mk7 though. If 130k is the expected life and 120k is a safe interval, I’ll go with that. I’ve got an oil change coming up this week so I’ll ask...
  15. N

So is 120k a good not too early/not too late interval? As for cost, the advisor I spoke with told me that it’s $800+ for the belt and tensioner and an additional $200-300 for the water pump if they deem it needs to be changed. Also, I ordered my car and drove it off the lot in 2015 with 8...
  16. N

I'm just over 114k and I'm starting to consider my timing belt job, which I'll probably do closer to 120k. I've always heard that the timing belt interval on the 2015 Golf was 120k, but I just spoke to a service advisor at the dealer to get a job estimate and she told me I need to consult my...
  17. N

Crazy Brake Life on the MK7

I heard that the MK7 brakes have a long life, but it didn't really register with me until today. I picked up my car after having a tire balancing and alignment to correct some vibration, and I asked the service advisor if they checked my brakes. He gave me the measurement (which I forgot) and...
  18. N

Ice on the clutch or something worse?

The car was in neutral. It's the type of car wash where you pull in and park, then the jets move around you. I always get the undercarriage option as well. I never noticed the clunk in the shifter itself, only in the clutch pedal. To me it felt more like I was grinding or crushing something...
  19. N

Some car buddies have assured me that the clutch is sealed, but icing can occur. Not a proper explanation of course, but I'm left shrugging my shoulders. The car has about 101k miles, and I've not flushed the fluids yet. The problem has not happened since, even on a longer trip to Chicago and...
  20. N

I stopped at the touchless car wash a little bit ago, and when I was pulling out I noticed a prominent clunk or interference in the clutch when depressing. I could hear it and feel it in the pedal, but the car still shifted just fine. It stayed for another 10-15 presses then disappeared. My...