Search results

1. R

CARB low carbon fuel ruling under attack

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2010/02/02/financial/f173737S24.DTL This proposal is how the politically connected with phoney degrees get high paying jobs courtesy of the California tax payer. They sit in their plush air conditioned offices playing high tech computer games...
  2. R

rear brake tool

My rear brake pads are shot. Do I need the rear brake tool to changeout the pads? Does anyone in the San Buenaventura area have the rear brake tool? I would like to rent it. I seem to remember Eat Soot graciously offered to loan his out but I haven't seen him post lately. Does he still drive his...
  3. R

Road bike

If I took the seat and front wheel off of my road bike will I be able to fit my bike vertically in the back of a Golf or Jetta wagon? Transporting them on the roof uses too much fuel. The ability to store them in a vehicle gives slightly more assurance when staying over at a hotel. The...
  4. R

Glow plug light and lost cruise control

Last night in Southern California I turned right (~45 mph northbound, brake to ~25, turn right and tried to reset cruise to 45) and suddenly lost cruise control and the glow plug light came on (my glow plug indicator is in the tachometer cluster rather than the speedometer cluster). The car...
  5. R

Coefficient of drag for the Jetta

Friday ~08:15 - 08:30 north on Highway 5 through the Tehachapi mountains I dropped my Jetta from Lebec down to Grapevine. I kept it in 5th gear and the clutch out. The speedometer indicated ~98 mph. I haven't compared 98 mph against GPS but I guess 96 mph true. I originally dropped from Gorman...
  6. R

FS in SoCal: EuroSpec alloy wheels

Did you hit a pothole hard? bend or curb a wheel? Do you want to rotate your spare? 6Jx15 , 5x100 mm bolt circle, 38 mm offset, 1J0 601 025 B Eurospec Avus alloy wheels. Installed on most 2k2 Jetta station wagons. Includes VW center caps. Perfect fit for 195/65R15 tires. $73 each, 10% off for...
  7. R

FS in SoCal: 6Jx15 EuroSpec Avus alloy wheels

Did you hit a pothole hard? bend or curb a wheel? Do you want to rotate your spare? 6Jx15 , 5x100 mm bolt circle, 38 mm offset, 1J0 601 025 B Eurospec Avus alloy wheels. Installed on most 2k2 Jetta station wagons. Includes VW center caps. Perfect fit for 195/65R15 tires. $73 each, 10% off for...
  8. R

Average Fuel consumption - Manual Transmissions

The population size has increased and that seems to have had an effect on the distribution. In addition there are a lot of choices in fuel. We have people who are willing to drive <45 mph to achieve >100 mpg and we have people who drive >>55mph that get <<40 mpg. We have people who cut Avgas...
  9. R

DEER conference

Sorry Da3ve, but I needed to earn a living. All of us had our laptops with us but I used mine to check e-mail and didn’t have any time to surf the web. I thought maybe Dana Bartholomew was invited but he covers a very wide broad range so I can understand him not being there. But the Fred turnout...
  10. R

Forbes plugs tdi over new Honda Civic hybrid

A paragraph from the Aug. 5th issue of Forbes: "By the way, we should say that we do have the same major misgiving about this car that we have with the regular Civic--it lacks character. In this class a VW Jetta is way more engaging, and if you want to use less gas, you can always get that car...
  11. R

High beam trick

When I left the office tonight the Jetta wouldn't start. Got all the proper indications on the idiot lights, headlights indicated lots of battery, even got the glow plug light briefly, but the engine wouldn't turn over, not even a click. It being a 2k2 with ~2522 miles on it I gave the VW 800...
  12. R

WTB 6Jx15" Avus alloy wheel

I bought a 2k2 Jetta tdi with the luxury package. The spare is a steel wheel whereas the other 4 are Goodyear Eagle LS on 6Jx15" Avus alloy wheels, 5x100mm bolt circle. Rather than have the spare waste in the trunk it would be nice to rotate it every 5000 miles with the other 4 to even out wear...
  13. R

When is a good time to buy a new tdi?

I would like to go over again that we are in the aftermath of the dot.com crash and coming out of a recession. A. Greasepan has lowered interest rates 11 times and the last 2 times he kept looking down with his hands in his pockets. GM and Ford removed a lot of buyers from the market with their...
  14. R

Remote effective distance

I've only had the Jetta a couple of weeks now but the owners manual says that the remote is only effective ~10 feet from the car. I have found that actuating from pocket level that it is about ~10 feet. Actuating from eye level or higher the remote is effective from much longer distance. Does...
  15. R

Wood Steering Wheel and Shift Knob

Thousands of years ago before I had the 1883 Honda Civic I had a Karman Ghia. The Karman Ghia had a wood dash and I added wood steering wheel and wood shift knob on a short shift kit. I remember and still like the feel of real wood. I imagine it would be very expensive to add a different...
  16. R

Does the double DIN stereo have crossovers?

On the forum it seems a lot of people car's are equipped with the double DIN, non-Monsoon stereo such as my Jetta. I was wondering if the speakers are wired to crossover units and if so, where are they? It makes sense that VW builds all the cars with 4 5.5" speakers front and rear, 2 1" dome...
  17. R

New Jetta GLS tdi

I just took delivery of a new 2002 silver Jetta GLS tdi, 5-speed manual transmission with luxury package (sunroof and alloy wheels)and cold weather package (heated seats). MSRP was $20,975 and the stealership accepted my offer of $20,000. The car came with black velour interior which overworks...
  18. R

Is it possible to order a tdi?

I deposited $500 and ordered a tdi in the first week of January. Now I’m getting a story that when the stealership first put the order in the system wouldn’t take it. They called the field rep to input the order because the system wouldn’t accept it from the stealership. The field rep told the...