Search results

1. D

Coolant Type

Supposedly these cars require G12 coolant, which I haven't seen locally. Are the coolants that supposedly work "any car, any color" okay to use? I was surprised that my coolant light came on the other day, 48k, and it was a little low. Gambled that it was a loss over time and took the 5.5hr...
  2. D

How does a Mk7 like gas in the tank?

No, I haven't done it to my 2015 yet, and only once in 314k miles on my 2002 ALH, but should it ever happen I was curious to know in advance. Back in the days of the Rabbit diesel in the north it was common to cut the diesel with 10% gas as an option to fight gelling, so when I finally screwed...
  3. D

Commonality of Oil Filter Design

I just picked up a used 2015 GSW from a dealer a couple of hours away, opting for a "VIP Care" deal usable at any of their dealerships for free oil changes (including synthetic), rotations, fluids, etc., since they said I can use it at their Ford dealer close to me and it winds up being a...
  4. D

Buyback Car Availability

Are dealers still able to order cars from VW, and if so, is there much of a selection left? My 2015 GSW got totaled this week, and I've seen a couple of dealers list TDIs that were evidently buybacks. The CarFax showed the last mileage records in like 2017, then resumed a few miles later in...
  5. D

My GSW Totalled by Flying Dog!

I cannot freakin' believe it. Just got word my 2015 has been totaled by the insurance company. Bizarre accident yesterday the cops had never seen before. Driving along the highway at 65, and passing under an overpass two brown animals come tumbling down from above. In the fraction of a...
  6. D

4-Spd Automatic Problems 00293

2000 Beetle TDI: I've got the CEL and code 00293, all gear options lit up on the dash. Car seems to drive okay other than a bit of a clunk going into reverse, which I'm not sure if a new thing - my wife's car. The test described in this old thread...
  7. D

New Kerma DSG Tune vs. Phase 2

Kerma TDI recently informed me (I was on a wait list) that they finally have their DSG tune available for Mk7. It is $399. I could have sworn the price was much higher in the past, before Mk7 was supported. Anyway, the phase 2 fix, which I obviously haven't done, supposedly improves the...
  8. D

So where are all the TDIs?

I understand a lot of earlier buybacks went to the crushers, but I am surprised that a TDI is such a rare sight on the roads anymore. Pre-scandal, all over the place, now almost never. Between those opting for repairs, stop-sale cars, and buyback cars being resold I'd expect a fair number of...
  9. D

87.7 Radio Fix

My 2015 GSW stop-sale has the common 87.7 problem, along with a number of operational anomalies in the radio that my original 2015 GSW that I did the buyback on never had. At my last service I brought it in, and was informed that while they could do the upgrade, the technician advised the...
  10. D

Beetle Strut and Shock Mounts Needed?

Our 2000 Beetle with only 91k miles on it needs the struts and shocks replaced. Developed cupping and tire noise in the rear and mechanic said shocks gone, and one front strut starting to leak. So, with only 91k, do I buy the whole suspension installation kit like KermaTDI sells for $109, or...
  11. D

Leasing the Stop-Sale Cars

My question to those that went with the lease, did you have a hefty rent charge? I've never leased before, and was thinking this was a zero percent lease, and when I specifically asked the F&I gal what a rent charge is she mumbled something that didn't seem to indicate interest. The rent...
  12. D

Radio Battery Drain Question

I've definitely got a leak on fuse #42 as so many others have with resultant starting issues with the TDI, especially cold weather, but I've not seen anyone really say what the resolution was. I've got the basic, junk non-Monsoon, awful sounding factory unit with trunk CD changer. I removed...
  13. D

Any good dash or console gun mounts?

With my other vehicles, including previous 02 Jetta, it wasn't a big deal to wear a full size pistol while driving, other than some minor extra effort fastening the seat belt. The GSW seats hug me tighter with firmer bolsters, so a pistol is kind of digging in, uncomfortable, really...
  14. D

Sound System Upgrades for Golf Sportwagen

I just got the S model with the 8-speaker audio system. Not surprisingly, it doesn't match the super system that came in my 02 Jetta, which was a pleasant surprise when I got it (01 stereos were crap). The highs don't sparkle, the bass isn't as strong and crisp, and the sound lacks the impact...
  15. D

Clutch hydraulic problem or something else?

I've got a sudden problem that none of the threads I've read here seem to quite describe. My 02 TDI has 295k on it, never a problem, pretty much original everything. I was leaving my destination and upon starting the car the clutch felt real funny, like it went down in a couple of pulses or...
  16. D

Sporadic power loss throughout RPM range

My 232k 02 Jetta basically runs well, but the performance and mileage have been a bit off for a year or more. In the last couple of months I've noticed that if accelerating moderately hard into the upper RPM ranges there will be a bit of a sudden power drop, like when hitting 3600rpm. I'm sure...
  17. D

Weird interconnections?!?

UBB17-ML-1051124-ML- posted in the wrong forum section
  18. D

Weird interconnections?!?

I know the computers in the B4 Jettas are connected to most everything, but... One day I'm driving along and my cruise control kicks out and does not work again. At the same time my glow plug light starts flashing. After quickly pulling over and consulting the owner's manual, I discover that...
  19. D

Creak city!

What is the deal? My 77 Rabbit (100k+ miles) never had any body or suspension noises. Nor my 82 Rabbit (239k), not my 86 Golf diesel (195k), not even my 91 Mexican GTI (277k and going strong). My 02 TDI has 61k miles and has had some squeaks in the door panels for most of its life, especially...
  20. D

Botched Timing Belt?

I went to pick up my 02 TDI late Friday after its first timing belt change, done by my independent VW shop with which I've had good experience previously. The mechanic mentioned he took it for a test drive when he was done. Funny thing, he skipped out of there pretty quick at closing time, and...