Search results

1. G

Front rotor question

I decided to dig into my front rotor & pad change today and found out that the rotor doesn't come out of the caliper bracket as easily as it does on my Jetta and Golf. What's the recommended way: 1) remove (or at least loosen) the caliper bracket (2 stiff bolts at the back) 2) remove the...
  2. G

Warranty Extension--classic VW!

My 2005 BHW won't start (without assistance) in anything under -10C (3 times in the past 1.5 weeks). As luck would have it, the day after the first no-start, I received the 'warranty extension letter'. I called the local dealers to see about getting it fixed and they've put me off for the past...
  3. G

CV Joint replacement question

I'm in the midst of changing my driver's side CV Joint and I think I might have found a problem. In the HowTo, they talk about: 1) Clip 1 - in the groove at the end of the axle. 2) Dished washer - a concave metal washer that butts up against the thrust washer. 3) Thrust washer - another washer...
  4. G

Sunroof opening on it's own

On my 2003 Jetta Wagon, the sunroof will open (tilt open--not slide open) for no apparent reason. It tilts about 1/2 way open, not fully. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason behind it. I'll be driving along and notice the motor opening it and an increase in noise. Sometimes it'll...
  5. G

CV boot assistance

I dug into the CV boot replacement procedure this past weekend (passenger side) but hit a problem. The middle bolt (of 3) on the heat shield stripped. I thought perhaps I could still get the axle out, but with the shield in place, but I couldn't move the inner end of the axle far enough...
  6. G

Replacing Radiator.

Can anyone give me hints as to how I can get my leaking radiator out? The passenger-side tank is leaking a litre a day. My initial guess is to remove the plastic covering along the top front of the car. I'm guessing there is enough room to get my hands in down there and remove the fan...
  7. G

What's this indicator trying to tell me?

My (used) 2000 Golf didn't come with a manual (I should've kept the one from my written-off '99). The dash indicator is a yellow (orange?) circle with 3 small segments on each side of the circle (bracketing the complete circle). In ASCII art it would resemble: (O) but the brackets should be...
  8. G

Engine and VIN Matching?

To all, I was under the hood this past weekend and noticed something I should've noticed a long time ago: the engine number on the TB cover is in the 100000 range. That in itself isn't such a big deal--it just means its an early engine. The car is a German built 2000 Golf (according to the...
  9. G

ATF Flush (how much fluid?)

I'm looking for thoughts on my ATF flush I'm in the process of doing. Everything went according to the instructions here at TDIClub. I got to the part where you let the fluid get up to temp. I waited. When it reach 36C, I crawled under and removed the drain plug (not the red insert, just the...
  10. G

Stick rattle.

To all, I know I've seen this mentioned here, but I haven't found a definitive answer through the search feature. Can someone point me to the thread, or answer the question here? My stick shift rattles annoyingly in the 100km/h to 110km/h range (5th gear). Its usually when the car is pulling...
  11. G

2 Cold weather 'sounds'

2 Cold weather \'sounds\' My 1999 Golf TDI has started to exhibit two sounds that I'd like to have opinions on: 1) from roughly under the stick shift, I hear a low frequency rumble, reminiscent of a sound an older car of mine had when it developed a hole in its muffler. It only happens when...
  12. G

Electrical Problem?

I've noticed this small problem recently (in the last month or so) and I wonder if its indicating something larger down the road: For the first minute or two of driving with a cold engine, when I shift gears, my headlights dim and the speakers let out a 'weeee' (increasing pitch). It only...
  13. G

Where do you get your misc. Nuts and Bolts?

I was reading through my newly arrived Bentley CD and it seems to me that many of the typical repair jobs (shocks/brakes) I might want to do, require that I replace some of the bolts/nuts with new ones. That got me thinking about where I can find such beasts. I'm hoping many of them are simple...
  14. G

Antenna (I'm curious)

Antenna (I\'m curious) How many people have had their (perfectly good) antenna swiped and replaced by a hanging-on-a-thread-excuse-for-a-piece-of-wire? I'm sure the person who stole mine isn't on this forum. They're probably driving a gasser...
  15. G

Any ideas on what made this noise?

It came as I was braking to a full stop approaching a corner. During the last 10kph or so, a nasty grinding (not squealing/chirping) was heard from the front end. I could feel it in the steering wheel as a slight 'shaking'. It appeared to coincide with when I started to turn my wheel to make...
  16. G

Rear wiper blade on Golf--warning to all.

I'm sad to say I let my rear wiper blade go WAY too long before replacing it and I've now got some body work to do. I hadn't noticed, but the tip of the blade was hitting the center portion of the frame of the window and has now removed the paint for about a 1 inch stretch. There are signs of...
  17. G

Troubles getting wheels off?

Has anyone else had serious trouble getting the bolts off the wheels? I had to do it once (in the rain, of course) and with enough swearing and jumping (literally) on the factory provided tool, I managed to change the tire (a rear). Based on today's experience (read on...), I don't think I'd...
  18. G

Rear windowshield fluid problem

My rear windshield fluid spout (99 Golf) doesn't spout anymore. I can hear the pump, pumping and there is lots of fluid in the reservoir, but nothing comes out. I'm not sure where the problem is, but my initial guess would be at the spout itself. While it doesn't look particularly clogged...
  19. G

Dashboard Meter offset?

What do you make of this: On startup this morning, all of my dashboard displays were reading high. At idle, the RPM gauge read close to 1200 (instead of 900). The engine sounded the same as always. The temperature gauge (when the engine was cold) read at the top side of the 3 dense lines at...
  20. G

Where will I find relay 109?

Thanks to all those who responded quickly to my troubles. Based on the subject line, you should know what my next question is: I can't find a relay labelled 109. I found 1 cover under which I found a pair of relay 53's, but that's the only obvious panel housing relays. (Its in the engine...