Search results

1. Toronto_Vento

FS: 2001 Jetta TDI

Hello everyone. I know I have fallen off the face of the earth for a few years and that was more life related than car related. I'm still driving my 01 TDI and have enjoyed my time with it. I recently switched jobs and am full time on the GO Train now, so the diesel engine isn't really needed...
  2. Toronto_Vento

Need help with ECM swap

So, here's the deal. My '01 Jetta is up for plate sticker renewal, and needs to do the emissions test. Totally forgot that it's no longer a visual check. Go to the shop, and machine can't communicate....cigarette lighter fuse. Okay. Run the scan and fails...turns out my Rocketchip tune (from...
  3. Toronto_Vento

Cold Weather Has Uncovered An Issue....Alternator

So, I've been having some harder starts over the past two years, but car has always fired up and gotten me to where I needed to go. Battery gave out about 2 years ago and got it replaced. This week, I couldn't start the car after sitting for a day at the GO train station. Figured I have a bad...
  4. Toronto_Vento

Overboost...things to check

Hey all. For those that didn't follow my other thread, I recently had to replace my turbo. Everything is back together and functioning well (so far), but am noticing a strange overboost issue. Now, normally under overboost, the boost would go up and just stick at a higher level. Mine is a little...
  5. Toronto_Vento

My Little Sunday Fun...

Well, so I've finally joined the club of seemingly grenaded turbos. Coming home from some errands today and car suddenly lost power (didn't floor it, just couldn't really accelerate). Figured that it was limp mode. Turned the key to off, started car again, no power. Was right around the corner...
  6. Toronto_Vento

Deal of the day: 1999.5 Jetta TDI on Kijiji

I have no idea who this is, but I thought the price was humourous: http://goo.gl/4TEUm FRESH engine! It has a ducktail rear lip AND a zinc plated wastegate! All this and more can be yours for only $8,500! Sounds to me like the timing belt went and led to catastrophic failure of everything...
  7. Toronto_Vento

CT Sale Items this week

Took a quick look through the Canadian Tire deals sent to my email this week and saw the following items which may be of interest to members on here: Mastercraft Maximum Ratcheting Bolt Remover, 2-Pc Product #58-2500-2 Reg: $50, now $20 http://goo.gl/dz24w I might actually pick this up...for...
  8. Toronto_Vento

Cars the Leafs drive

There's an article in The Star which discusses some of the cars which various members of the Toronto Maple Leafs drive. Seems like the typical sprinkle of SUVs and "luxury cars"...even an R8. Thought you guys might find the car which Tim Brent drives of particular interest: a 2007 Jetta TDI...
  9. Toronto_Vento

BRRRR...cold temps = battery woes

Well, it's finally dipping below the freezing point over night and I think I've discovered the source of my poor starts lately: seems like my battery is going south. I have an Optima Red top (34R) and I'm a little surprised about it going bad. I'm not sure of the age of it, though (was in the...
  10. Toronto_Vento

Drive Clean Facility - Richmond Hill

Hey all. I know it's a thorn in our side, but every two years we have to shell out the $40 to get an emissions test. Well, my time came and I always hate going to Canadian Tire (in Aurora, they pretty much are the only automotive service center open on the weekend). So, I made the trip to...
  11. Toronto_Vento

Must be something in the water...

I've been living in my current local for just about 3 years and have recently been through it on foot on a regular basis (nightly walk of the baby). It gives me more time to look around, see the houses, and take a look at the cars parked out front. Low an behold, I've counted 4 MKIV TDIs in...
  12. Toronto_Vento

Bolt Remover at CT - thoughts?

Hey everyone. Saw this new product at Canadian Tire advertised in this weeks flyer and wanted to see what people thought of it. Seems like a reasonable tool to get at bolts with rounded heads, etc. The flyer has a better picture of the spiral design of the bit. My only issue with something like...
  13. Toronto_Vento

I'm DONE!

Well, another chapter has been closed in my life. My upper-education part two is finally over! I wrote my last exam last night and submitted my last report this morning. Off to bigger and brighter things (like fixing my car today)! Unfortunately, I start my new job on May 3rd, so not much of...
  14. Toronto_Vento

It drives like a gasser lately...

Hey everyone. I haven't been sharing some of the issues (minor) with the car lately, but this last one has me a little stumped and I haven't had much time to try and diagnose it much. First the background: The car started having low power issues starting at the end of January. I drove the car...
  15. Toronto_Vento

Muffler Shops in Aurora/Newmarket

Hey everyone. I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with muffler shops in the Aurora/Newmarket area. I've got some kind of muffler leak, and the last place I went to was expensive. I know there's a place in Scarborough that a lot of people go to, but I don't have the time to go there at...
  16. Toronto_Vento

Speed Nuts...where to get?

Hey everyone. A number of years ago, I went to Canadian Tire to pick these up, but I see they don't carry them anymore. I need to get some speed nuts, but have no idea where to pick them up. For those who don't know, here's a concept picture of what I'm looking for...
  17. Toronto_Vento

Small Package arrived early...

Hey guys! As some of you are aware, I am expecting a baby girl in April. Well, no matter what my wife and I were expecting, she decided to inherit her mother's impatience. We had an action-packed Monday morning last week, and now I'm a proud daddy of a premature baby girl. Born on February...
  18. Toronto_Vento

What oil do you use and where do you get it?

Hey everyone! This is not meant to start a "this oil is the best" thread. I know there are a lot of those floating around. I'm more curious as to what oils people are using in their TDI, where they get it, and how much it is. Reason I'm asking is that I've been using Esso XD-3 for a long...
  19. Toronto_Vento

No coolant....no problem!

Yeah, so an interesting thing today. Car has been acting a little funny lately...just a LITTLE off, but nothing to be concerned about. Anyhow, went to see my cousin in Oakville and as I got going on the highway: limp mode. Strange, but I figured maybe the cold weather had something to do with...
  20. Toronto_Vento

LF: Stock MKIV Jetta front lip

Yeah, so the front lip on my Jetta was damaged when I purchased the car used. I then went with the fiberglass GLI aftermarket one which a number of people on here purchased. Overall, I've been satisfied with the lip, but found that I scraped a lot when backing out of people's driveways. Well...