Search results

1. Benjamis

Fuel Shut-off Solenoid has a 0.5 V Voltage drop

Is that ok? With key on engine off, voltage from solenoid to ground is 0.5 V less than battery voltage. With car running, voltage is 14.3 and shutoff solenoid is 13.6, so 0.7 V drop. Battery voltage is present in full at the connector right before the 3 inch wire that bolts to the solenoid...
  2. Benjamis

Hard start at 50-60 degrees

She starts right up in one second or less most of the time, except when it is 50-60 degrees F, she cranks and cranks and sputters and starts on 2 or 3 tries. Just above the temperature where the glow plug light would come on. If it is cold enough for the glow plug light to come on, I wait til...
  3. Benjamis

Needle lift sensor G80 P00542 / Seeking injector advice

I have been getting random misfires for over a year. I replaced relay 109 and then I didn't notice any misfires for the rest of the summer and over 1,000 miles, but as soon as temperatures started to drop, started getting the misfires again and longer crank times and tons of smoke on startup...
  4. Benjamis

The Saga Continues - Engine Oil Drained Completely within 4 miles with No Effect on Performance

Car fresh off timing belt job and test drives. I took it to a job the next day, drove 26 miles, all was well. Finished the job, drove to the next job 4 miles down the road. Started working, went to my car to grab a few things, noticed some oil on the road. A trail of oil. No trail of oil in...
  5. Benjamis

Timing Belt Tensioner Failure - Installer Error

Anything wrong with this tensioner? I don't see what could be the problem.
  6. Benjamis

Vacuum diesel out of VE injection pump prior to sealing? De-prime the pump?

Is there a reason everyone lets diesel spill out of the pump when replacing seals? (particularly the head seal and QA and top cover seals) Why not vacuum it out? Seems most people use their mityvac to prime the pump when they are done, why not use the mityvac to de-prime the pump so diesel...
  7. Benjamis

Vacuum diesel out of VE injection pump prior to sealing? De-prime the pump?

Is there a reason everyone lets diesel spill out of the pump when replacing seals? (particularly the head seal and QA and top cover seals) Why not vacuum it out? Seems most people use their mityvac to prime the pump when they are done, why not use the mityvac to de-prime the pump so diesel...
  8. Benjamis

PCV Valve Brand / Function

I bought a UROParts hockey puck of the same exact part number as the original VW one that I took off, and it doesn't fit into the valve cover grommet, the lip of it is fatter and also 27 thousandths wider in diameter, which is enough for it not to fit. Anyone have luck with aftermarket, or is...
  9. Benjamis

EGR butterfly valve - does it ever open if the vacuum line is disconnected and plugged?

What opens the butterfly valve in the EGR? Is it controlled purely by the ECU via the vacuum line, or do other forces like boost pressure act on it? Is it a problem at all that I have block off plates on either side of the flex pipe connecting the EGR cooler to the EGR? That pipe cracked...
  10. Benjamis

Balance Weight / Counterweight / "Brick" by passenger output flange

Mine seems to be missing, must not have been reinstalled by previous owner or mechanic. Does anyone feel it is necessary? Maybe I don't know what I am missing? I suppose I start getting vibrations over 80 mph. Seems I would have to search far and wide to find one. Not going to lie, I've...
  11. Benjamis

Where the rear main seal and oil pan gasket meet (B4 1Z)

So nowadays it seems all the rear main seals including genuine VW have rubber on the bottom. Link to picture: https://c1552172.ssl.cf0.rackcdn.com/311145_x800.webp Is this a proper seal that won't leak, the rubber on the bottom of the rear main seal with the rubber oil pan gasket? Seems odd...
  12. Benjamis

Broken flywheel bolts, oblong crank flange bolt holes, oh my.

How do I insert pictures? This is my first post, thanks everyone for all the info here. I removed the tranny, the flywheel came off with it. I had less than 20 miles warning of this issue, and tried to just make it home, and didn't.. Anyway, there's 3 good bolt holes in the crank flange, but...