Search results

1. P

Where are the paint codes?

My daughter wrecked my bride's 2015 Passat on Tuesday. Tore the front off backing out of the garage. Looks terrible, but in reality only 2 parts were destroyed, upper grilled and bumper cover. Junkyard grille is on the way. A local yard has a 2014 Passat bumper cover listed. They were nice...
  2. P

RNS510 Diagnostic Help...She's dead Jim

I put an RCD330 in last weekend. Have some bugs to work out but so far it's good. Then my daughter wrecked it Tuesday. Fixable. Starting a thread for that.
  3. P

Finally had more time to dig into this over the weekend. I didn't want to peel trim off when it was still cold in the garage. Fuse in back is fine and power going into the unit. The fan also does not spin so it would appear to be fatal. Strange thing is the car still wants to sync to my...
  4. P

Thank you! I'm trying to learn about the RCD radios. It looks like Sirius is a no-go with them. But, every one I've seen so far says NOT for Fender Audio. That's what we have.
  5. P

Wife and daughter came home with news the radio died. Sure enough there is nothing. No camera, no boot screen, nada. I checked the underhood fuse mentioned in a few threads and it was good. Hard reset procedure does nothing. Any diagnostic guidance would be appreciated. I gather these are...
  6. P

Was our heater core changed or not?

I plan to remove all the G13 and replace it. That is the most similar non-glycerine coolant I can find and it is rated for more miles than this car will ever see. Somewhere I had read in literature it also has no issue with diesel EGR temps too.
  7. P

Because this dealer sucks. Claimed to have changed the heater core again and did not. Instead was hoping to flush the problem away. They are either lazy, clueless, or both. Either way they are dishonest and will not see our vehicle again except for warranty work.
  8. P

I still plan to replace the glycerine based G-13 with Rotella ELC NF this spring. I'm 100% certain the glycerine cooking in the EGR is the problem. Too cold to do it now.
  9. P

Washing my hands of the dealership. They had it 2x the 2nd time and didn't fix anything. It was under $200 at the independent and I am writing it off as the cost of learning that particular dealership sucks. It still doesn't take care of the core plugging 2x in 8 months. I think the VW's...
  10. P

The conclusion of the story...Wife wanted to take it back to the independent shop and since it is her car that's what happened. They changed the heater core and miraculously there is good heat now. Maybe it was the heater core the whole time? (sarcasm) Oh, wait...the dealer changed the heater...
  11. P

Warranty was not through VW. It was a 12mo dealer warranty that they tried to weasel out of by saying it was mileage too but they called it good will. After them saying it was fixed 2x and it was not, it has become clear that they are not somewhere that should be trusted to fix my wife's car...
  12. P

My son stopped at the garage today since he lives close. Car isn't fixed, can't figure out what is wrong, so "it must be the heater core". My wife is going to pick it up tomorrow, pay for the diagnostic and we will find somewhere else. While there my son called and said they garage going to...
  13. P

Still no solution and now no car either. We dropped it off last Thursday night for a Friday appt and have not heard a peep since. My wife called and emailed. No response from the garage. I'm sure you all know the saying, "If Mama's not happy..."
  14. P

Made an appointment with a non-dealership VW garage. We picked it up from the dealership and it still blows warm air at best. Totally unacceptable and motivation to find a better option for service. Thanks for the bump and I'll share when it gets resolved.
  15. P

Passat was at the dealership for 2nd no heat trouble in 8 months. 1st time, in Feb, the core was changed and heat was good again. In October, we had no heat again. They diagnosed as 2nd heater core and ordered parts. 2 weeks later parts were in and my wife dropped it off. When she picked it...
  16. P

Another heater core?

Just had the 2nd heatercore done in 8 months/14k miles by the dealer. 45mpg is nice but when my wife has no heat, not so nice. If momma isn't happy nobody is happy. Thinking the 15 Passat's time with us is coming to a close soon and without TDI there really is nothing drawing me to another VW...
  17. P

How to: Replacing 2012+ NMS Passat heater core

Ours failed again. 2nd time in 8 months! Dealer finally got my wife's car in. (Allegedly) replaced the heater core again and flushed system 2x. She had heat when she left. Next morning no heat again. She called back to ask about warranty from 1st replacement and was told it was Goodwill...
  18. P

I pried the bottom one off but the top was turning into more tension than I felt comfortable. I said "uncle". Not happy that a 6mm bolt is going to cost a large chunk of change but I am more comfortable with that than alternative. Former ASE certified tech, but I know when it's time to throw...
  19. P

I'm very tempted to do that. If I'm understanding correctly, I should be able to shoehorn (gently bend) the new core into place? The only reason I haven't tried that and break the pipes I' out the $900 for a new core, plus towing, and any other parts that may be wrecked.
  20. P

How the fudge am I supposed to get to the 6mm bolt in the engine compartment? I have everything apart, except the heater core clamps, and that is the last thing I was going to do before pulling the core. I can't even get my arm back in there to get to the thing. I can see it but I can't touch...