Search results

1. C

I still suck at driving a manual transmission

well I am shifting much more smoothly now. I still think I could be quicker getting off from a stop. It is as if I almost let the clutch pedal out completely before even giving any gas. I'd say the only thing I need to work on is downshifting and hills. 1.5K RPM seems to be a good spot to...
  2. C

Yes - time for an update. I eliminated the jerking that I was experiencing when upshifting. I realized it today that it was due to me not giving it enough gas early enough. Shifted from 2nd to 3rd today as if it was unnoticeable. Felt great :) It rained the last few days and my feet (and...
  3. C

How is being in neutral different than having the clutch pedal in? If I shift into neutral, can I let the clutch pedal out as fast as I'd like? How would I be 'burning' the clutch if I am in gear and have the clutch pedal in? If the clutch pedal is in, the clutch is disengaged, right? So how...
  4. C

How much of the clutch do you guys cover with your foot? I mean, do you cover the clutch pedal entirely, or do you partially cover it with your toes? I think I am more comfortable with the former. I don't know if one way is politically correct or if it is personal preference.
  5. C

Nope. I just need to refine my muscle memory. It will take some time (perhaps more than others)
  6. C

true. thanks for the offer, but no thanks This is my problem. I 'linger' and I'm not as simultaneous as I should be. Even if I creep the car forward with the clutch alone and virtually 0% gas, I'm not causing any harm, right? I park on a somewhat crowned road and I don't believe I can move...
  7. C

yea I know I worded that pretty badly trying to play this out in my imagination. Time for bed.
  8. C

sorry...? Needless to say I appreciate this forum as a whole and for everyone's input so far. nobody is forcing you to post. Anyway. I got called into work today, so I gave her another shot. I do think I am getting better at it. I can shift from 1st to 2nd now without any jerking, seems...
  9. C

I don't personally own a motorcycle, but I did take the Motorcycle Safety Foundation's basic rider course and got my class M license that way. Motorcycles seem so much easier, I don't know why they seem more forgiving. I could do figure eights and slow maneuvers pretty easily when they were...
  10. C

True..thanks :)
  11. C

I'm not sure. I'm afraid of leaving the clutch pedal halfway in. I know I shouldn't give it more than 1200 RPM (on a flat, at least) before releasing the clutch completely. I think you are right with me revving the car too high. I will shift earlier from now on for the sake of my clutch, not...
  12. C

Just thought I'd try something different. I've been riding motorcycles, so a clutch isn't fundamentally new to me. I just didn't have much experience driving stick in a car let alone a diesel engine. Maybe the extra torque is why I am having such a hard time with the clutch? I should...
  13. C

some of you may have remembered the thread I made maybe a couple weeks ago in which it turned out that I burnt the living sh*t out of my clutch. While the car was in the dealer shop, I decided to take some lessons from a driving instructor for a couple of hours. We used a Honda Civic which to...
  14. C

Bought a 2011 Golf TDI today, having troubles with manual transmission

To add to that, I was dropping the clutch every time I started the engine. And since I stalled a lot, I started the engine a lot... I'm an idiot:)
  15. C

I think that explains everything :( Called the dealer up, explained the gist of it. They're going to pick the car up tomorrow morning. And I expect they're going to get back to me saying that the clutch is nuked. I feel horrible. I love the car. I am willing to pay for a new clutch, but...
  16. C

Really? I thought I was making good progress when I was on my way home from the dealership. I stalled the car a handful of times just like any beginner would. Getting the car to my house from the dealer was plenty of trial and error and I got better and better a I went along. It was just me...
  17. C

Something is terribly wrong now or I am just an idiot yet again. It seems I am (or the car is) literally stuck in neutral. I start the car just fine. Clutch in, then I can move the stick shift just fine. I simultaneously give it gas and let out the clutch just like I would normally and it...
  18. C

I bought a 2011 Golf TDI today. I am ecstatic. It is a black 4 door. I thought I'd be adventurous by getting a manual transmission. I never drove MT in a car before, but I have a motorcycle license, so I have some experience using a clutch. So I'm in the car, I'm in the dealer's garage...
  19. C

Need your thoughts/opinions on this 2010 Jetta

Well I am going to take a look at it on Wednesday. If there ain't anything wrong with it, I am definitely tempted to make a purchase. I don't mind that it is a manual trans, but I have never driven a stick car before. I've used a clutch on motorcycles and got my class M license through a...