Search results

1. Benjamis

Hard start at 50-60 degrees

Sounds about right. So the fuel supply line is 5/16" (8mm) and the return is 1/4" (6mm), so I should probably stick with those sizes, or I guess I could get a 2 pack of 5/16 and used an oversized one on the return if it saves a few bucks, which nowadays means $10 or more. Will probably install...
  2. Benjamis

Thanks. Could call it lazy, or practical. It's happened before, I would do it again. I would be very ok if I installed these by the fuel filter and left them there for the life of the car. That's a nice looking starter by the way. Maybe next winter I'll rebuild mine, I started looking for...
  3. Benjamis

Where do you buy your check valves? They seem a little pricey, even at local parts stores.
  4. Benjamis

Well, if I don't figure out this hard start issue that may be my valeo's fate. I figured though, I got it for cheaper than any bosch reman I could find, and I still have my bosch and can rebuild it. I searched for a local shop but only 1 place of the many I called seemed remotely interested in...
  5. Benjamis

The battery did die on me one cold morning, so I put a charger on it and it fired up. Then it slowly started becoming a regular occurrence, even with battery voltage of 12.6. However, on cold mornings it would often be at 12.2 V, and the crank was weak, and I had never bought a battery since I...
  6. Benjamis

best quality door handles for a 96 B4 Passat

I bought a Viaco for my front driver door. The key usually gets hung up turning the lock and needs some wiggling, and is usually most difficult in the most inopportune moments and has tested my patience on numerous occasions.
  7. Benjamis

Fuel Shut-off Solenoid has a 0.5 V Voltage drop

Is that ok? With key on engine off, voltage from solenoid to ground is 0.5 V less than battery voltage. With car running, voltage is 14.3 and shutoff solenoid is 13.6, so 0.7 V drop. Battery voltage is present in full at the connector right before the 3 inch wire that bolts to the solenoid...
  8. Benjamis

Voltage drop from starter housing to negative battery terminal is 0.21 V as well but I did it several times and saw a 0.36 V max once. I'll check the battery voltage while cranking next time I get a chance at 45-60 degrees. All this past week, whenever I started the car in the morning it is...
  9. Benjamis

I'm getting a voltage drop of 0.21 volts from the positive battery terminal to the positive starter post while cranking on a 35 degree day. Connections are clean and tight, just had the starter off last winter and cleaned it all up as well. The battery holds a charge of 12.6 volts in cold...
  10. Benjamis

Compression is good, I hope. You're right, I should check it though, I suppose I haven't because I haven't found a free loaner gauge yet. I have not done voltage drop checks, the entire car probably needs that. Thanks for the input, will report back soon.
  11. Benjamis

No air in fuel lines, timing is advanced almost to top line of the graph and is mechanically spot on, crank sprocket was replaced less than 20k ago. I would think all of these would affect starting at all temperatures. Maybe it is the fuel temp sensor. It reads 2 or 3 degrees higher than the...
  12. Benjamis

I would prefer to find the other problem that it indicates instead of forcing glow. I do have a somewhat weak battery, but the fact that the car starts in one second at 20 degrees on multiple occasions makes me feel like that is not the problem. It's just very interesting that it only does...
  13. Benjamis

The sensors read ambient temperature with a cold engine and also are in the proper resistance range according to Bentley.
  14. Benjamis

She starts right up in one second or less most of the time, except when it is 50-60 degrees F, she cranks and cranks and sputters and starts on 2 or 3 tries. Just above the temperature where the glow plug light would come on. If it is cold enough for the glow plug light to come on, I wait til...
  15. Benjamis

Needle lift sensor G80 P00542 / Seeking injector advice

So I got reconditioned and calibrated injectors and went with DLC520 nozzles. I'm loving them and have driven 1,000 miles and have not had a single misfire. Glad to finally get that sorted out. Cold starts are way less smoky and the exhaust is way less stinky. IQ is at 5.0 and is a little...
  16. Benjamis

'96 B4 Sedan in Arizona Junkyard, anyone need parts?

I'm interested in the front passenger door latch mechanism 357 837 016G. Maybe pull them all, they are discontinued and hard to find, I think they will all fit in a small flat rate box... Also as many driver door plastic clips that connect the interior plastic part of the door to the metal as...
  17. Benjamis

3rd injector needle lift sensor help

not to resurrect an old thread, but I was wondering what the dotted line around the two wires and going to the ground meant in the wiring diagram (bottom right), and as Cal stated in post #9, probably has something to do with reducing electrical interference.
  18. 20210923_165952.jpg

20210923_165952.jpg

19. Benjamis

Who is your top recommendation for calibration?
  20. Benjamis

So if you buy cores do you send them out to be calibrated or just install and see how they do?