Search results

1. amstel78

VW Credit says don't pay after vehicle buyback

Just got off the phone with someone named George at VW Credit. Purpose of my call was to inquire about the payoff. As we were discussing, I mentioned to him that an upcoming payment was due from me on 1st February. I wanted to know specifics about the overage checks to be returned. His...
  2. amstel78

Buyback in 5 minutes with more money

I surrendered my 2012 Golf TDI this morning. Took about 5 minutes. My processor was very pleasant and efficient. I ended up getting about $400 more than the original estimate which is a nice surprise. Suffice it to say, I had mixed emotions. Sad to see the Malone tuned ride go after exactly 4...
  3. amstel78

Turning vehicle in and title (financed via VW Credit)

Please refresh my memory - it's been a while since I've dealt with auto title issues. I was rooting around my safe looking for the extra keys for the Golf which I'm about to turn in on the 14th of January, when I realized that I don't have the title. I live in PA, and if memory serves, VW...
  4. amstel78

OT question about PA Veteran license plates?

Don't know if anyone else here has done this but I sent to Harrisburg a copy of my DD214 and the Penndot MV-150V form for a veteran plate to replace my car's original damaged (when I got rear-ended on the 11th - thread in the Mk6 Golf forum) license plate. Penndot cashed the checked on 17...
  5. amstel78

After 118k miles, someone finally hits my car...

This morning I was in the car with my wife and oldest daughter on our way to Honesdale. Around 8:20, I was in Hawley when I noticed a guy in a 2013 neon green Ford Fiesta behind me wandering in and out of the lane. I had a bad feeling that something was wrong with this person but unfortunately...
  6. amstel78

Molotov Golftail

At one point, all I wanted to do was throw a Molotov cocktail into the passenger compartment of my Golf and watch it burn. Explaining it to my insurance company would have been a struggle, but that's how pissed off at my car I once was. Ever since getting rid of that stupid DPF though, the TDI...
  7. amstel78

2 stroke oil in CR diesels?

Any issue using a bit of 2 stroke engine oil in our common rail diesels to improve lubricity? I don't have a DPF, so ash content isn't a problem. Just not sure if 2 stroke oil would have a negative effect on our piezo injectors. I ask because 2 stroke oil is quite a bit cheaper than...
  8. amstel78

Rutroh... GDM (aka Diesel Dubs) CR170 sale

Got a flyer from GDM in my mailbox just a few moments ago. Les is running a sale on CR170 turbos. I checked out the link and he's got a nice price estimator webpage set up that calculates the total cost of the turbo upgrade plus whatever else you need done. I sense a lighter wallet and a...
  9. amstel78

Mk6 vs Mk7 Golf TDIs... lolwut?

I know I'm a day late and a dollar short when it comes to news of the Mk7 Golf TDI's that are now in the wild, but I just had to comment after reading some of the technical info on the EA288 MQB platform. For instance, how about that oil filter location in the 2015s? It's underneath the...
  10. amstel78

Coolant thermostat behavior in cold weather

I'm curious how the engine coolant thermostat in our Mk6 works; I'm assuming it's a 190* thermostat. Shouldn't the thermostat remain closed until the engine reaches nominal operating temperatures? Reason I ask is, my gasoline truck normally takes about 5-7 minutes to reach nominal operating...
  11. amstel78

Help - flashing glow plug light

My car's been sitting in the garage for about 2 weeks now. Decided to drive it to work this morning since no snow expected in the weather forecast. Started the car, let it idle for a few minutes then took off. About 2 minutes later, glow plug light starts blinking. I drive the car back to...
  12. amstel78

<Sigh>... winter's here along with those !@$#%@# potholes...

Ya'll know that the NE is in its full winter swing when potholes start appearing out of the blue. I managed to hit one on the Palisades Parkway again yesterday morning, bubbling the sidewall and denting the lip on one of my 17" Salamancas. I'm going to have the wheel professionally repaired...
  13. amstel78

Recall?

I've gotten an email and voicemail from my dealer stating that there's a recall for my Golf TDI although they didn't specify what. I haven't had time to call them to inquire. Before I do, anyone here know if there's a new recall out for our cars?
  14. amstel78

CJAA part# assistance

Hello guys, I need help confirming a part number. It's for the silver colored Y metal bracket which bolts to the engine block and supports the EGR and ASV valve bodies hanging off the intake plenum. Mine snapped in half right at the first bend closest to the bolt that's threaded into the...
  15. amstel78

Pot holes, idiotic parking attendants, dented rocker, and a body shop... oh my

The last two weeks of my life have really sucked. It all started with a massive pothole the size of Rhode Island in the middle of the southbound Palisades between exit 3 and 4. Yup. I nailed it. I hit it so hard with the passenger front tire that it blew the bead right of the rim. I pulled...
  16. amstel78

Front end clunk

Car after 72000 miles started developing a front end clunk. Can't seem to replicate it all the time. I do hear it at slow speed when traversing uneven pavement, or turning over uneven ground. First thought it was ball joint but all seems tight. I haven't had time to check the subframe or...
  17. amstel78

AC compressor question

Just a quick question; with the engine running but AC off, is the center part of the compressor pulley supposed to spin as well? Mine does, but I'm assuming the compressor clutch in our cars operate a bit differently than your standard AC compressor? Sent from my rotary telephone
  18. amstel78

VCDS coding question

A few weeks ago, I performed the code modification for blinking brake lights and hazard lights when ABS kicks on. I finally got around to testing it this afternoon and it didn't work. I have an icy road in front of my house and figured that's the best place to see if the coding change did what...
  19. amstel78

Malone stage 2 regen behavior?

Does the stage 2 software totally eliminate regen behavior? I was idling waiting for my wife for about 10 minutes last night when RPM increased from 800 to 1k. It wouldn't go back down until I restarted the engine. Seems an awful lot like regeneration. :confused: I've noticed this happen...
  20. amstel78

Part number ID assistance please

Hello all, need your help confirming a specific part number. I need to know if the downpipe hanger bracket (item #4 in the diagram) is 1K0253144BC. TIA for your assistance.