Search results

1. P

BEW charge piping connectors & the vacuum system

I just finished installing the 3rd timing belt on a 2004 BEW Jetta. Boy was I surprised when I could barely make it up a hill leaving my driveway. I saw a post on this website about how jacking the engine up & down to get at those motor mount bolts can crack the hose that supplies the brake...
  2. P

Word of caution on changing the water pump.

I just changed my 3rd timing belt on my 2004 BEW TDI Jetta. 40,000 miles after changing the 2nd TB, I developed a coolant leak coming from the water pump. When I removed the pump, the leak wasn't coming from the shaft seal leakage hole, it was coming from the o'ring seal between the pump body...
  3. P

2004 BEW Jetta camshaft, just pay shipping or pick up

I live in Granbury, Tx. which is about 30 minutes southwest of Fort Worth. About 7 years ago when I did my 2nd timing belt at 180,000 miles, I replaced my camshaft with a Frank06 camshaft thinking that the original cam wouldn't make it to the 3rd timing belt. To my surprise, there was very...
  4. P

BEW sat in driveway for months, now is extremely slow turning over.

I have a 2004 Jetta with the BEW engine. The car sat in my stepson's driveway for about 4 months because it had a coolant leak that he didn't want to pay to fix. Now that the weather here in Texas is getting cooler, I went to get the car so I could investigate the coolant leak, but I cannot...
  5. P

Online parts purchases; beware of return policies.

Just a word of caution to look at the various vendor's return policies when purchasing parts online. Like myself, you never expect to have any issues with a new part, but when you do, there are some vendors that have good return policies & there are others that do not. About 3 months ago, I...
  6. P

2004 BEW intermittent electrical problem

Intermittent electrical problem on a 2004 BEW Jetta with the automatic transmission (193,000 miles on vehicle). I am having an unusual electrical issue where the battery voltage just disappears and then comes back to normal after the car is jumped. A week ago, the car died & I found that the...
  7. P

Using Vagcom to diagnose 09A transmission problems

For the VW 09A (made by Jatco, JF506E) transmission. Does anybody know in Vagcom, Group 4 block 4, “condition of solenoid valves”, what the order of this data string, on/off, list of valves is? The data for the block is an 8 digit series of 0’s & 1’s. I assume that a “0” means the solenoid...
  8. P

Beware of dislodging deposits from intake manifold into engine

I did something that I should not have done & I just wanted to share my experience to prevent others from having that experience. After I tried to clear a "low EGR flow" engine code; I basically have a Toyota engine that will not start. When I googled "cleaned EGR & now car won't start", I...
  9. P

09A Torque Converter doesn't lock up after car is hot

I have a 2004 BEW TDI Jetta with the 09A, Jatco, 5-speed tiptronic auto transmission. About 6 months ago, I had all 9 solenoid valves replaced due to harsh shifting from 1-2. A few months ago, I developed a problem where my torque converter stopped locking up at cruising speeds once the car...
  10. P

Citroen Cactus 91 mpg

http://www.citroen.co.uk/new-cars-and-vans/car-range/citroen-c4-cactus I was quite impressed with the 91 mpg that this vehicle is supposed to get. The "puff panels" on the sides are a different idea also. Does anybody know if the emission limits in this country are ppm of a pollutant per...
  11. P

Consequence of Torque Converter not locking up

I have a 2004 BEW TDI with the Jatco 09A, tiptronic 5 speed transmission. About 3 months ago I had issues with the transmission not shifting from 1-2 or back from 2-1 without it lurching & clunking. I had the solenoids replaced, but a problem with some of the wiring going into the transmission...
  12. P

If your 09A starts shifting bad

I have a 2004 PD Jetta with the 5 speed tiptronic 09A transmission. Three days ago, while driving from Connecticut to Texas, about 2 hours into the trip I could feel the transmission slipping occasionally on the highway. When I got off of the highway, I had some really bad jerky harsh shifts...
  13. P

Nokian snow tire with retractable studs

This is an interesting concept (a snow tire with studs that can be activated or retracted with a push of a button). http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=qNXL2EEscuE&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DqNXL2EEscuE%26feature%3Dyoutu.be&app=desktop
  14. P

BEW & BRM camshaft inspections, reccomend removing rocker arms

I just changed the 2nd timing belt on my 2004 BEW PD Jetta at 177,000 miles. I didn't think that my camshaft would make it another 80,000 miles so I installed a new frank06 chromed camshaft with the modified bearings to improve oil flow. It had been about 30K miles since my last camshaft...
  15. P

Can a High Pressure Fuel Filter be added after HPFP

I have been reading the various threads regarding the HPFP failures on the newer engines. I am in the market to purchase a new car next year & I would love to buy a new diesel Jetta (I currently own a 2004 with 153K miles) but I am not comfortable with the HPFP issue (I keep my cars for high...
  16. P

How does ECU determine actual fuel parameters?

Does anybody know how the ECU on a Pump Deuse engine determines the "injection Quantity", and individual cyclinder fuel injection values that it reports for each cylinder? I know with air flow that you have a Mass Air Flow sensor that actually measures the air flow to the engine so that the...
  17. P

04 BEW PD stalling at idle

My 2004 BEW PD Jetta has developed an intermittent stalling at idle problem. This doesn't happen very often (maybe 1 out of every 50 times that I am stopped with the car in drive at a light or traffic). No codes are being set. I have a 2 micron Cat fuel filter which I change once per year...
  18. P

Checking the manufacture date of a new tire

You purchase a set of new tires for your car & later find out after one of those tire self destructs that it had been sitting on a shelf somewhere for 8 years. A very interesting ABC news report on this problem & how to check the manufacture date of your tires...
  19. P

Level of difficulty TB change 2.0LTR AVH vs PD BEW

I was just wondering if changing the timing belt on a 2.0 Ltr Engine code AVH 2001 gas engine Jetta is the same level of difficulty (easier or harder) than doing a 2004 BEW PD Jetta. I just finished doing the timing belt on my 2004 PD BEW Jetta. My daughter who lives in Somerville near Boston...
  20. P

BEW timing belt change, the 2 parts I found very difficult

Just had a few comments & questions on changing a 2004 BEW PD timing belt. Thanks to those that prepared the PDF file on doing same it was a great help. I have done a few other timing belts, the one thing that made this one so difficult for myself was the portion of the motor mount bracket...