Search results

1. M

Overrunning alternator (clutched) pulley on B4 with 1Z?

My '97 Passat TDI (B4 with 1Z) has a standard fixed alternator pulley. I will be replacing the alternator soon with a Bosch remanufactured one that is on the way. Is it possible, and is there advantage to putting on an overrunning alternator pulley on alternator that I'm ordering, even though...
  2. M

B4 Blown Differential?

Hi all, Once again, you smart people on tdiclub called it right. I crawled under the car today, and was showered with a few large steel bearings and a piece of a broken bolt when I removed the belly pan. Sure enough it was just a blown inner CV joint. I've never had one fall apart like this...
  3. M

B4 Blown Differential?

Hi, Thanks for the reply. Well, I'll look again at the CV joint and see if I see signs of damage. I would have thought that even if the right-side Hi, Well, I didn't see anything obvious on the CV joint, but I'll look again. I would have thought that even if the CV failed on the right...
  4. M

B4 Blown Differential?

Hi all, It's been a while since I've posted, as I've had years of trouble-free service from my B4 sedan until yesterday. It appears that my differential is shot. I get no power to the wheels, just a horrible gear-skipping clunking sound when I attempt to apply power regardless of gear. The...
  5. Snow tires

Snow tires

B4 Snow Tires for sale
  6. M

FS: Michelin Snow Tires on Rims for B4 Indianapolis, IN $450

I have a complete set of Michelin X Ice snow tires for sale. They are 175/70/R14 and mounted on OEM steel wheels (4x100) for my 1997 Passat TDI (B4). They have low miles on them, only 3 winters. I'm moving to Southern California, so I don't need them any more! They are worn evenly with...
  7. M

Best MK4 light upgrade or replacement for cheap?

Update Well, I decided to start by cleaning up what I have. The crimped on spade connectors in my Depo E-codes were not aging very well, so I re-soldered them. For the ground connection to the body of the light socket frame, I soldered on a ring connector and secured it with one of the...
  8. M

Still FS: B4V 1997 VW Passat TDI Wagon, Indianapolis, IN

Sold! Sold to a very good home today. Thank you all for looking. Michael
  9. M

Best MK4 light upgrade or replacement for cheap?

Good headlight options for B4's? Hi, Does anyone have good headlight recommendations for my B4 sedan? I bought the E-codes with the glass lenses a few years ago. My only complaint is that the wimpy spring clip that is supposed to hold the H1 bulb base disk in place is also the ground...
  10. M

Still FS: B4V 1997 VW Passat TDI Wagon, Indianapolis, IN

Hi all, I posted this last August and got some email interest, but not enough to close a sale. I am happy to email or talk to list members about it. I thought I'd try here one more time before I advertise to the "outside world:" For Sale: 1997 VW Passat TDI Wagon Indianapolis, IN $3700...
  11. M

Stories when filling up at "gasoline station"

I just moved to Indiana 2 years ago, and I had to learn this the hard way as well. "Wow, the truckstop Diesel prices are great!" . . . . Until you pull up to the auto Diesel pump and get the nasty surprise. Your explanation of this is the first one that I've heard that actually makes sense...
  12. M

How to troubleshoot low power on an A3/B4 engine

Success! I made significant progress today. I confirmed that I was getting vacuum to the N18, but never through it, even after blipping the throttle. I took it out, sprayed silicon through it, tapped it on the floor a few times, and cleaned the electrical connector with electrical contact...
  13. M

Found a cracked hose OK, I'm getting there, one problem at a time. I was following the EGR troubleshooting steps, and indeed my upper breather hose from the CCV puck to the intake was split around the hose clamp. Unfortunately, I didn't see that one from any of the TDICLUB vendors, so I went...
  14. M

The "What did you do to your B4 today" thread...

What did I do to the B4 today . . New glow plugs and glow plug wire harness connector bridge into the B4V . . . getting ready for the Polar Vortex! :cool:
  15. M

I put a vacuum on it, and then when I release the vacuum suddenly, I hear it slam shut. So, if it was stuck, I think I got it unstuck now. I'll let you know if the EGR code comes back. I hadn't thought about disabling the EGR -- I wouldn't want to make Al Gore angry.
  16. M

Update I checked my codes, and I am no longer getting the EGR error code, so I think tightening those clamps did the trick. I am still getting the 00550 Start of Injection Regulation code, though, which surprises me because my timing is slightly advanced -- right where I thought it was supposed...
  17. M

Limp Mode with 00550 and 00560 Hi all, I'm trying to take care of my unusual limp mode issue on my B4V before I sell it. I've read this astounding thread multiple times, and I see that I may have to go through the EGR troubleshooting steps in detail because my error code is 00550 "Start of...
  18. M

The "What did you do to your B4 today" thread...

Clarion Remote Jumper Wire I just did my 97 B4V with the Clarion White Box last night! It worked! Thanks to all who posted the detailed instructions. My wire colors were exactly as noted in the instructions. Thanks! Michael :D
  19. M

Black NMS/B7 Passat TDI SEL Fishers / Indy Home De$pot

Hi, I was at Home De$pot at lunch today (Northeast Indianapolis / South Fishers (96th st.) and I parked my white '97 Wagon (B4v) by itself halfway up the row away from the crowds. When I came out of the store, there was a beautiful black NMS Passat TDI SEL (with the nice wheels and 2 carseats...
  20. M

1996 B4V 139k Detroit $4500 NOT MY CAR

I like the headlights on that one . . .