Search results

1. T

ALH engine without injection pump, timing belt or flywheel- how to time while adding an 02M transmission, etc?

I purchased a used ALH longblock engine and it does not have a timing belt due to no injection pump on the engine, which is not at TDC based on the #1 cam lobes pointing down, and also there is no flywheel or transmission (I am upgrading to an 02M transmission with a Sachs PD dual mass...
  2. T

Need help how to be sure transmission, shift tower, and gear shift are all in neutral after changing clutch and removing/re-installing shift tower?

Nearly finished with the first of 2 B4V rebuilds and this one was rusty, so had Redline motorworks pull the shift tower out of my 02A transmission so I could de-rust it in an electrolysis bath since it was so badly rusted. I installed a new South Bend Stage 2 Daily Driver clutch after getting...
  3. T

1997 VR6 Automatic Passat Wagon to 1Z Manual

Starting my conversion of a 1997 Passat VR6 Automatic transmission wagon to a 1Z TDI Manual transmission (from my totaled 1996 Passat wagon, only have engine and transmission left from it). I have all the conversion parts I am aware of from accelerator conversion to drive by wire, to complete...
  4. T

ALH Mass Airflow Connector

I noticed when changing my mass air flow sensor there are 5 prongs on the sensor and only 5 female connectors in the plug. Is this correct or is my plug missing the 5th connector? Thanks for your help everyone! Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
  5. T

WTB Jetta Mark IV Bentley Manual

Looking for a used Bentley Manual for Jetta Mark IV, thanks!
  6. T

B4 Passat Door handles and gasket sets

It appears getting new rear door handles and/or gasket sets has almost gone the way of the DoDo bird or am I missing anything? Any information on sourcing would be appreciated....and of the cheap knock off stuff, what to avoid, thanks!
  7. T

Totaled 1996 B4V into 1997 VR6 Auto

My son totaled my beloved 1996 B4V I had just finished thoroughly going over and getting back into top notch shape, by falling asleep behind the wheel (coming back home from a ski trip) while learning to drive. He had the cruise on coming down a mountain on a 4 lane stretch of road and we hit...
  8. T

Washer Fluid Pump Not Working

The washer fluid pump is not working on my 2014 Passat 6 MT. I do not have access to the online manual so can anyone help me with access to and how to change washer fluid pump, which I have already bought? Is there anything else I should be aware of what to check for this problem? All the...
  9. T

WTB: #3 Injector for B4

I need a good #3 injector for my 1996 Passat. So need one from an A3/B4/A4 or engine codes 1Z/AHU/ALH, my zip is 21120, thanks!
  10. T

B4 Glow Plug Harness Replacement Problem

Hello all I replaced the glow plugs and wiring harness on my 1996 Passat Wagon and got a flashing glow plug light immediately afterwards. I do not have VAG-COM. I spliced the new wiring harness in and my thought is I put the wires together backwards and wondered if that could cause the fault...
  11. T

B4 Glow Plug Harness Replacement Problem

Hello all I replaced the glow plugs and wiring harness on my 1996 Passat Wagon and got a flashing glow plug light immediately afterwards. I do not have VAG-COM. I spliced the new wiring harness in and my thought is I put the wires together backwards and wondered if that could cause the fault...
  12. T

B4 Central Locking Problem

My 1996 B4V is having a central locking problem. From the driver's side door handle, it will unlock the other 3 doors, but not the Driver's door. Then in about 2 seconds, it re-locks the other 3 doors. When I try to unlock the doors from the front passenger door, it does the same thing, but...
  13. T

Engine keeps stopping

Ok got a stumper for everyone that I can use your help with. My car (B4) was flash flooded almost 3 months ago and I had to replace the starter, battery to reliably get it started. For good measure I also put in a new Relay 109. The water just got up over the door sills and not into the fuse...
  14. T

Proving Value of '97 B4 to insurance company

My beloved '97 B4 was caught in a flash flood while waiting for a couple parts to come in, with mud up to the axles. Some water got in at the bottom of the doors as well. The insurance company is giving me a value of $1975. Mechanically the car is in very good shape with 310,000 miles on the...
  15. T

B4 Rear Window Problem

The rear windows on my B4 have stopped working. From my Bentley manual it is not apparent which wire has positive 12v flow to the window motor. Can someone help with the testing procedure to determine whether the problem is in the door switch, module or window regulator motor? I am not sure...
  16. T

'97 Passat TDI Will Not Shut Off With Key Pulled Out of Ignition!

I have just done a lot of work on my '97 Passat TDI (280,000 miles), from replacing the driveshafts (and CV Joints), to the clutch to the front left bearings and tie rod along with the engine and transmission mounts. Anyway after finishing the work, the engine starts, but will not turn off, even...
  17. T

Info on injection pump guy on ebay

How is the guy on ebay, "prothe" who sells injection pumps and pump parts and is just south of Charlotte, NC? Who has experience with him? He has a rebuilt injection pump for a 1Z up for a good price it seems. I need to get my injection pump checked on my 1Z as it has 232,000 miles on it and was...
  18. T

Alternator, Replace voltage regulator or rebuild/buy rebuilt alternator?

I have a 1997 Passat TDI with 230,000 on the odometer and the original alternator. It was draining a new battery (2 months old) until the battery light came on intermittently, then over an hour period of time to full on. I checked across the battery terminals with the engine on and only got 12...
  19. T

Cruise Control not working

I am trying to figure out why my cruise control stopped working on my B4 and wanted to check the fuse. I checked my owner's manual and Bentley and they both said above the relays above the fuses or below left of the instrument cluster. I checked everywhere and did not find it. Anyone run into...
  20. T

WTB EGR GAS COOLER for B4 Passat

I am looking to buy an EGR gas cooler for my '97 Passat. Mine developed a leak between the exhaust and coolant sides. Thanks for your help!