Search results

1. H

cutting blank keys in the GTA?

Looking for suggestions on where to go to get flip keys cut in the western GTA... I have two blank (uncut) flip keys that need to be cut from the original valet key of a 2004 Jetta. We have identified a shop in Hamilton that quoted $40 per key, and another in Whitby that quoted $60 for one...
  2. H

constant heat from interior climate control system

Having an issue with the AC/ventilation system in a 2004 Jetta TDI. For most of the winter, the system constantly spewed hot air only, and did not respond to adjustments of the temp control on the dash. Regardless of the control position, it was always HOT air. Suddenly, a couple of weeks...
  3. H

dismantling center console to adjust parking brake?

I'm stuck... Following the Bentley instructions for dismantling the aft portion of the center console (MK5 Jetta TDI with DSG) to access the parking brake cable adjuster. I have managed to locate all of the screws, and the assembly is somewhat loose, but the next step apparently requires...
  4. H

Left Outer CV boot replacement?

I need to do a LF wheel bearing/hub replacement in my MK5 Jetta, and before I started I noticed that the CV outer boot is cut. Assuming that I have the hub/bearing assembly removed, can the CV boot be replaced without removing the entire axle assembly from the car?
  5. H

2006 BRM, intermittent no crank no start

I'm experiencing a frustrating electrical issue with a 2006 Jetta TDI (BRM) with DSG. About a week ago, the first sign of a problem was shortly after starting the engine. While still parked, with the engine running for only 20 or 30 seconds, the engine quit as if someone had turned off the...
  6. H

DIY garage space in NW GTA?

Does anyone know of DIY garage space that may be available in the west end of the GTA? My TDI is needing a clutch and a timing belt sooner rather than later... I don't think I can let it go until spring arrives. I am pretty well equipped for tools, but I don't have access to indoor...
  7. H

need doors for 2004 MK4 Jetta

I'm looking for a set of used doors for a 2004 Jetta TDI sport, preferably in dark grey. Mine are rather badly rusted and likely need to be replaced rather than repaired. I'm less concerned about the working bits, and mostly concerned about the condition of sheet metal. Please let me know...
  8. H

tire recommendations for MkIV TDI Sport

I'm looking for suggestions/recommendations of tires for a 2004 TDI Sport with OEM 16x6.5 alloy wheels. The stock tire size is 205/55-16, and I would be looking for a high performance summer or all-season tire that won't break the bank. Any suggestions of specific tires / dealers in the GTA...
  9. H

Data logging in cold weather?

Can anyone advise whether cold ambient temps will have any significant effect on data logging? I'd like to create some logs from an ALH engine in anticipation of getting a Malone tune, but the weather has been extremely cold recently ( typically between -10C and -20C). Do I need to wait for...
  10. H

Replacement mirror for Jetta?

I have a 2002 Jetta with a driver's side mirror that is just about to fall off due to the mount crumbling from corrosion. Anybody have suggestions for a source of affordable replacement mirrors in or near the GTA? This one happens to be heated with electric remote controls.... not sure if all...
  11. H

FS: 185/65-14 Gislaved Nordfrost 5 on steelies

I have a set of 4 Gislaved Nordfrost 5 snow tires for sale. 185/65-R14 mounted on 4x100 steel wheels. Approx 50% tread depth remaining. These were previously mounted on a MK3 Golf. Asking $200, located in Orangeville. Will consider reasonable offers.
  12. H

2004 Jetta Sport - suspension differences?

I have a 2004 Jetta TDI Sport Edition. Can anyone provide specific details of how the suspension differs from a standard Jetta? The car came equipped with 16" alloy wheels rather than the typical 15" wheels, and the suspension seems a little stiffer/tighter than a stock Jetta. I do know that...
  13. H

vacuum pump recommendations?

I'm interested in purchasing a decent quality vacuum pump suitable for testing and/or troubleshooting typical TDI issues, like turbo actuator operation, etc.... Any recommendations on a good product to purchase? Would the Mityvac MV8000 like this one on Amazon be a good choice, or should I be...
  14. H

"PowerService" 25% sale at CT now!

Apologies if this has already been posted... but PowerService products are 25% off regular prices at CT right now. Sale ends tomorrow, so time to stock up is now!
  15. H

noisy lift pump... imminnent failure?

noisy BEW lift pump... imminnent failure? During the last 2 weeks or so, I have noticed that the in-tank fuel pump on my 2004 TDI Jetta (BEW/PD) seems louder than I have ever noticed before. Under normal conditions, I would expect that I might hear the fuel pump "priming" for a few seconds...