Search results

1. B

Electrical cable voltage drops

Hey all! I'm still fighting this code: 01598 - Drive Battery Voltage 000 - - Freeze Frame: Fault Status: 01100000 Fault Priority: 2 Fault Frequency: 157 Reset counter: 17 Mileage: 178022 km Time Indication: 0 Freeze Frame: ON Voltage: 13.35 V ON ON OFF OFF ON It jumps the RPM to 1,050 or so...
  2. B

01598 Drive Battery Voltage in BRM

Hey fellas. I've seen this code before on another BRM. It causes an annoying 1,000+ rpm idle which makes the DSG slip a lot when starting from a stop. I've cured one before with a new alternator pulley. On my car now I'm getting this code but the belt is running silky smooth. I really hate...
  3. B

2012 Executive realistic price

Hey all! I’m new to the Touareg platform (including the Q7 and such) and am looking at SUV’s for the family. The wife has always loved the Touareg but we stayed clear because we thought we would want a 3rd row for the family. As time as gone on it doesn’t seem that we would use a 3rd row much...
  4. B

Looking at Q7 TDI's and Lexus LX 470's

Hey guy's. The family and I are looking to get a used largish SUV for our growing needs. I'm a hobbyist mechanic with experience mostly on PD TDI's and Lexus/Toyota's from the early 90's to the mid 2000's. With maintenance and repair costs being much lower with myself doing everything I find it...
  5. B

Running without AC system charged

I'm about to start disassembling to replace the evaporator core in my BRM. I had what was left of the refrigerant evacuated from the car prior to the job of course. I drove the car around a day or two and to my garage where it sits now. I never thought about detrimental affects of driving the...
  6. B

2006 evaporator core

Hey guy's. I think I've got an evap core leak on my 286k mile BRM Jetta along with a sticking RCV. The compressor was replaced at a dealer in 2013 or so by the previous owner. I don't have an AC machine so I have to take my stuff to a shop for that part of the work. I had them suck it down and...
  7. B

BRM 'stumbly' start

Hey fellas. I've seen this issue on two BRM's now. This one is mine. I bought an '06 early this year. I replaced the cam and timing belt along with a few other maintenance items that are common areas. I've seen this issue once before on a BRM that I worked on before it was wrecked. I was never...
  8. B

BRM air cleaners.

Hey fellas. Every BRM Jetta made for North America was equipped with the 3C0-129-607-BE air cleaner assembly with the cold weather equipment. It has the connection under the MAF for the hose from the shroud around the exhaust to allow heat past a thermostatic valve to allow the engine to breath...
  9. B

Cam photo opinions

Hey fellas. I've got my new BRM under the knife for some general maintenance and cleaning. Long story short I bought it for less than $1k from the owner off a VW dealer lot with a bad turbo diagnosis. I was able to hear it run and had seen the issue before with another BRM. I got it home and...
  10. B

New BRM 'project'

Hey fellas. I've spent some time wrenching on a couple BRM's for family and friends. Our family is a fan of VW's. We've owned two. The last of which was a '13 Passat TDI that we sold back to VW. I've alway's liked working on the BRM and admired the MkV platform. I have been looking for one for...
  11. B

Package 2 vs special edition

Hey boys and girls. I’ve been thinking I may as well drive a BRM myself after working on a few somewhat extensively. I had my heart set on a loaded package 2 preferably with some issues to lower the price. I missed one the other day by one day but it just wasn’t meant to be. I’ve come across a...
  12. B

Ever seen torsion values like this?

I just finished a cam install on a BRM and it's running great. The timing is mechanically dead on the money with a slip fit cam lock while the crank is locked. That should net near zero, I would adjust to roughly -0.5 from there. Instead the car is running really great but has the craziest...
  13. B

EGR duty cycle at idle?

What should EGR duty cycle be at idle? I just finished a cam replacement and the car runs poorly as it did before. The car will start and shut right off. If you disconnect the cold side charge air hose it will idle but it sounds like exhaust coming out of the intake. Should the EGR valve be...
  14. B

Eligible Seller Identification period

So there is a cutoff date of Sept 16th, 2018 to identify yourself as an Eligible Seller to the powers that be in order to be a part of the settlement. I'm not sure if any of this is done automatically for some owners through VW's network or if 100% of the claims are required to identify...
  15. B

BRM engine bracket stripping threads?

This engine bracket that the motor mount bolts to with the large 18mm head bolts pulled some threads out with the bolts on removal. I didn't not use an impact. I did the timing belt on this car and used all new bolts on the motor mounts a couple of years ago. No after removing the bolts for a...
  16. B

I could use some advice on this BRM.

Hey fellas. I tried resuming an old thread I had made about this '06 that I maintain and repair for family but there were no more replies even after a bump: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=419308 So, I'll give a new thread a shot as I spent some time diagnosing this car today. It was...
  17. B

Engine harness $6,000?

I'm in the middle of a diagnosis on a BRM that's running terrible all of a sudden. I'm inspecting the harness now but called the dealer just for grins on the price if I find the harness to be damaged. They quoted 1K5971051 at over $6,000. That just can't be right...
  18. B

Am I the only one that is satisfied with the proposal?

So, we LOVE out '13 Passat SEL Premium. With the toddler growing daily and possible larger family future plans we could use something larger. But, I still think the Passat is the best mid-size sedan on the road. I would also rather have a TDI Passat than any full size on the road. The fuel...
  19. B

Pirelli P7 tires

At 50k miles the Hancook POS's are finally roasted. I've alway's hated these tires. They are 235/45R18's. I priced 3 brands of tires at the dealer to burn the gift card on. I asked for prices on Conti's, Pirelli's, and Michelin's. The prices were given out the door with alignment. The Conti's...
  20. B

Could someone with VCDS take a quick reading for me?

Hey all. I'm dealing with a possible (very common) AdBlue temp sensor malfunction causing a check engine light. The fault has only occurred once which allowed the MIL to extinguish a few day's after it first occurred. This may seem like all may be well but the temperature reading I'm getting...