Search results

1. K

U.S. Comeback?

Many of those restyles were just a rebending of the sheet metal. Most things underneath were the same. If you want to look at disruptive technology, look at VHS. The main reason VHS players and tapes took off so quickly was because Panasonic gave the patent to Samsung to flood the market at a...
  2. K

Diesel price...

Listening to an economic consultant the other day. He said that part of the problem is that coming out of the pandemic, we have compressed 5 years of economic growth into 18 months. Add in the shipping issues and we get to the point we're at today. They don't anticipate return to normal until 2023.
  3. K

Who’s going to Tesla after their current TDI?

That's a stretch. The history books might support your comment in another 50 years but not today.
  4. K

What I'm saying is that if the e-trucks are going to be a viable alternative, they can't price them that far over the ICE. Although I didn't like paying the $3200 premium for a diesel engine on my 1500, I still did. If I'm having to choose between an ICE and an electric version, I should have to...
  5. K

I think you can get some of that answer just by looking at pricing of base model to the top of the line. For Ram trucks, there's a $42000 difference bottom to top. Starts around $35,000. I wonder what sort of "market adjustment" they'll add for an electric? Diesel is an additional $3200. All US...
  6. K

DSG service

If you're not going to do it yourself, I'd find a local independent shop and talk to them before setting up the appointment. Make sure they're comfortable with the job. I can't imagine that the Chrysler dealer is going to be any cheaper than a VW dealer.
  7. K

Sound Off on Current Diesel Price

Here's an interesting breakdown I did from the fuelly account with the Ram. Here's my breakdown: May 22 - $5.29 Jan 5 22 - $2.95 May 21 - $2.59 May 20 - $1.51 (cheapest I've paid for diesel since 2003) May 19 - $2.59 May 18 - $2.31 Bought the truck in March of 18
  8. K

Hummer EV was announced during the Superbowl. Looks interesting but starts at $100k US. The F150 Lightning is supposed to hit markets that year, unless of course it gets pushed back again. Chevy is supposed to be out for the 2024 model and Ram 2025 or 2026. Rivan and Atlis are the unknown...
  9. K

How many 97 passat tdi were made/sold in the US

New Ram 2500 with the Cummins has a 50 gallon tank and will probably hold another gallon in the lines. I put 23 gallons in my 1500 last week, $119 total.
  10. K

Just purchased! Q7 TDI

Nice looking SUV. I have a coworker that picked up a Q7 early on the resales release. Haven't driven it but rides really nice from the right side. He tows his ski boat with it and says it handles much better than the Acura it replaced.
  11. K

Other than the far north, there shouldn't be any winterized fuel left at the pumps. Might also be a reason for low inventories. They ran the winterized inventory down before the switchover to normal D2.
  12. K

Diesel price...

I fell for the gusbuddy price yesterday. I knew it was too good to be true but not that far out of my way in case it was real.
  13. K

Sounds like a lot of the same arguments that Ford used when going to an aluminum box. Many have found out that the collision repair coasts are in the 3-4x higher for minor accidents.
  14. K

2015 Passat sits too low w/ cargo carrier - what to do?

That depends on what the neck of the carrier is made of. I have a bike carrier that has a steel neck for my JSW. It will hold two bikes and can be expanded to four. However, they don't recommend putting four bikes on it if I'm still using the 1.25" neck.
  15. K

It might have been designed by physics but I find it interesting to see everyone else that is working on an E-Truck is retaining the truck style. Looks like those that purchase a cyber truck are doing it mainly to say "Look at me, I'm saving the planet".
  16. K

Except that they set a record in April for the highest gallons of fuel refined. For us, it's more than likely the mix of gasoline versus diesel refined from each barrel that's making the biggest price difference.
  17. K

Since getting in to and out of the JSW can be a chore somedays, I've not looked at anything smaller for years.
  18. K

How to get rid of that nasty cigarette/ashtray smell from a TDI you just bought?

It might smell better than that cigarette odor. As for the comment about cat pee, a cup of cider vinegar in the same room will help mask/decrease the urine smell. Also a bowl of baking powder. Just not the all in the same bowl.
  19. K

I filled the truck on Friday night on Hilton Head Island, SC for $5.25, minus a dime for the grocery points. Got home and noticed that it was $5.75 here in Charlotte. Dropped back to $5.39 on Sunday. I'm down half a tank so guess I need to fill up to stay under $100 per tank. The JSW is only...
  20. K

Diesel price...

What I was told years back was that it took several 100 gallons of fuel to clean out the dye. If you're running a commercial vehicle and are caught with dyed fuel in NC, they'll look at your reported mileage and fine you the current tax rate based on a minimum of two years mileage.