Search results

1. Lug_Nut

Solar thread

I bought a tuna sandwich from a store yesterday because I was hungry. Today I brought back a tuna sandwich I made at home and wanted all my money back. They refused! The power companies buy electricity at wholesale rates. Why do you feel they should buy yours for retail rates? My town's...
  2. Lug_Nut

2022 TDIfest Discussion Thread

It's 2k miles each way, the car is 53 years old, it had 65 gross (not net) hp when new, I'll be at 5k feet altitude so that cuts even more power. My absence from work is certain, my registration is in, campground reservations confirmed, the tent trailer is still being lightened. I'm not on the...
  3. Lug_Nut

ISO TDI Mechanic Hudson Valley NY

Aaron in Olivebridge is who I'd contact in that situation. https://www.facebook.com/LilDustyEuro/
  4. Lug_Nut

3 diesels a Wedding and a BIG NH GTG

Hoo Boy! I read Bob's message and saw "So glad to hear you guys are old". Then I took off my bi-focals (set up for instrument cluster and distance) and put on my readers to clearly read the 22 inch monitor right in front of me. So I instantly went from: "Hah! PV&J are old!" to "Crap! I'm old!"
  5. Lug_Nut

WTB 96 B4 short shifter

Have you replaced the "relay lever" on the transmission? This wears and makes the side to side (gate) sloppy, (like re-engaging 3rd when you wanted 5th). I found that the short shift (short gate and short throw) kit made it even easier (too easy) to beat the synchronizers and crunch gears. I...
  6. Lug_Nut

98 TDI Build

So I didn't believe it and I did Google it, and found this Engine Masters show (more like Road Kill, but...) There is a comment around 11:40 into the show that a larger diameter has advantages to smaller diameter headers, The lack of cross section AREA comparison in the video ignores that the...
  7. Lug_Nut

98 TDI Build

Or a Honda, some of those have their transverse engine on the left, transmission to the right, and those do have cranks that run CCW if viewed from the pulley end.
  8. Lug_Nut

Who’s going to Tesla after their current TDI?

K., Bom Dia. I suppose where you are is effectively "south of Boston". Since most of my trips are well within the battery range, the on-board generator is used infrequently. GM considered this and uses an "Engine Maintenance Mode" function that starts the engine every few months to keep things...
  9. Lug_Nut

Who’s going to Tesla after their current TDI?

This is a reply to an old (2020) post in this thread. I specifically did NOT want to have two cars as a replacement for my bio-diesel TDI, so I tried a car-and-a-half and do not regret getting a Chevy Volt. I now have one electric car for 'city', and the same as a 38+ mpg car for road trips...
  10. Lug_Nut

98 TDI Build

Really? Look at the reduction in the effective cross sectional area. The crank bolt damper bolt is right hand threaded. It might tighten if it is used to spin the crank in the same direction it turns if running. That said, the crank damper bolt is a TTY fastener. Mark it and the damper before...
  11. Lug_Nut

I have a life-time tunnel permit sticker. It was expensive but has appreciated in value (if I ever sell it), and it saves hours off the commute.
  12. Lug_Nut

B4/Mk3 pedal sensors/switches

Your thread title has both B4 and Mk3 listed. The two cars are different in that the B4 TDI had no clutch interlock. The A3 TDI, even if the same year, did have an interlock requiring the clutch to be pressed to operate the starter. The TDI cruise uses the ECU for cruise, no separate vacuum...
  13. Lug_Nut

Or Jamaica: 155% "cheaper" with today's currency exchange rate. :rolleyes:
  14. Lug_Nut

Tell Us About Your Very 1st Diesel

Active, but less so now. My first driving experience in a diesel vehicle was at an employer that has a fleet of Isuzu and Mitsubishi pick-ups for the field techs to use if they wished. The Isuzus were NA, and slow off the line, but get them to 70 mph and their acceleration from there was on par...
  15. Lug_Nut

Not quite withdrawal symptoms, but I've been wanting to attend a 'fest for years. I think I'm going to have to scratch that itching by going to the SAAB owner's convention in my Sonett.
  16. Lug_Nut

1990 Mk2 Cabriolet Soft Top Rear Cable Query

Picky, I'll admit, but here was no mark 2 Rabbit / Golf based drop top. If you had been searching with mark 2 as a key word I have no doubt you have difficulties locating a replacement cable. The 1979 through 1993 Cabriolet was mark 1. The 1995 through 2002 Cabrio was mark 3 (even though the...
  17. Lug_Nut

Is this a reasonable idea for heating WVO?

The cat isn't thermally regulated, like a coolant/antifreeze circuit is. The cat is intentionally shielded to keep its outermost layer below an ignition temperature of tall dry grass, so it's probably not going to heat a fuel line much. And this was a problem with a two tank BIODIESEL (not WVO)...
  18. Lug_Nut

Which biodiesel suppliers use WASTE Veg Oil in their process?

That was an issue for me in 2010, as well. B99 in Salt Lake City, then nothing (within my self imposed range limits) until Portland. I was able to just make it from SLC to Minden, NV (B99), then up to Portland B100. Those two sides of a right triangle was just within range, but the hypotenuse...
  19. Lug_Nut

Which biodiesel suppliers use WASTE Veg Oil in their process?

Newport Biodiesel (Newport RI, retailed through TH Malloy in Cumberland RI) is one of a handful of producers of ASTM biodiesel from waste cooking oil. In 2010 I undertook a trip (Portland, ME to Portland OR. and back) using only public access retail biodiesel. I, however, specifically chose to...
  20. Lug_Nut

The Trip Thread

I don't associate a known owner with that car. Did you see a name of the exhibitor? Sonett III, '70 or '71 by the bumpers, '71 or later by the wheels. Driving lights are an add-on, maybe the early bumpers are retrofitted onto a later model. There were over 20,000 of the Sonett III built and the...