Search results

1. gforce1108

Jack and jackstands....where to jack to get the vehicle up highest off the ground?

The outer front subframe bolts work well. A floor jack will stay centered on them. Before I got my lift, I'd use two floor jacks at the same time. If you have a metal skid plate - you can jack from the middle. Unless you have a really long jack, you aren't going to center jack without the...
  2. gforce1108

What did you do to your Audi TDI today?

DPF/CAT/DEF delete EGR disabled. Fully straightpiped. Outside DEMA by one county. OBDII plug in (technically they are supposed to do a visual, but they don't make enough money on an inspection). No CEL but readiness is not set on at least 2 monitors. Some tuners constantly reset the CEL to...
  3. gforce1108

Sportwagen VS NMS resale values

I priced out all 4 models in 2013. Couldn't touch the passat both in price and MPGs. Stickered at $27K - paid $23.1K. Maybe nobody had any cheaper Jetta TDIs at the time. Walked in and bought a 6M Passat off the lot. Golf was up there. I may not have checked the wagon, but had no interest...
  4. gforce1108

Sportwagen VS NMS resale values

The passat was the cheapest TDI you could buy new in 2013. Plus - wagons are very popular.
  5. gforce1108

Got it inspected - somehow.... I have to do some research on NYS emissions requirements on diesels. I know gas cars very well. Plug in OBDII testing passed with at least 2 readiness monitors "not ready". Gas cars post 2001 or so allow only 1. I can't find the requirements on diesels but...
  6. gforce1108

Long Crank time on 2014 A6, 186,000 miles

A cam sensor problem will cause long crank on the 4cly TDIs. I would think you could monitor the cam signal. Locked at 0.0 is bad on those other cars. Coolant temp can cause similar long cranks if the car thinks it's cold when it's really warm.
  7. gforce1108

What preferred Laptop suits VCDS ?

I've used all sorts from windows 98 through windows 10. An older Acer netbook was excellent - until it fell off my motorcycle... I did have to buy an older WIndows 7 laptop to run vagtacho. I had upgraded it to Windows 10 (mistake) and couldn't revert. I was recently thinking of getting a...
  8. gforce1108

I have no symptoms of a problem other than the lights. Searching shows wheel speed sensor on many other audis. But they also show the wheel speed sensor code. I see that there are faults, but no labels. I do think that I can monitor the wheel speed and see if I can catch it but it's very...
  9. gforce1108

2 Post Lift Question

It was a fight to get my shop. I bought a house with 2 acres thinking it would be easy to build. I had to apply for 4 zoning variances. 2 were a waste of time and we all knew it (4 car max, side or front yard). The big two were max height (15' limit) and combined secondary building square...
  10. gforce1108

04 Jetta BEW, 5 speed. Limp mode, no CEL, no codes

Any tune on it? Some tuners constantly clear faults so there is no CEL. Makes it hard to troubleshoot problems. But if your MAF isn't reading right, I'd probably start there.
  11. gforce1108

I think I need to upgrade my vcds. I have a full version unlimited VIN I purchased new in Nov of 2013. I have intermittently gotten the tpms/traction control/headlight range/parking brake/ABS and other faults pop up. Each time while I was sitting still after having driven the car. Typically...
  12. gforce1108

04 Jetta BEW, 5 speed. Limp mode, no CEL, no codes

What are you scanning it with? If it's limp mode, there has to be something stored but you'll need something better than a generic code reader.
  13. gforce1108

2 Post Lift Question

It depends on the repair - I would test it to see. I have a MKV that is completely rotten that comes to me. I can put my hands through the rockers in several spots. No deflection lifting from the jacking points on the pinch welds. I'll have to test whether my arms can reach the control...
  14. gforce1108

2 Post Lift Question

I have a 2 post lift. Prior, I never lifted by the pinch welds. Always a floor jack on a solid mounting point. LCA bolt in the front, rear beam in the back. With the lift, it is recommended to lift by the pinch welds (comes with a manual documenting lift points). I have padded attachments...
  15. bcJBm08BS_SoUyxqlzS7qA.jpg

bcJBm08BS_SoUyxqlzS7qA.jpg

16. gforce1108

SBC Stage 2 endurance vs 6 puck driveability

I've had the stage 2 Endurance for quite a while. Excellent setup. Full weight flywheel (21lb). Reversing up a hill is the only indication of anything but a standard clutch. Minor, but noticeable "fee"l to it. Only one other time did I have any "issues". Friday evening trying to get out of...
  17. gforce1108

Ac diagnostic question

The RCV isn't readily accessible like it is on the newer, clutchless compressors. It's internal. I believe that was what was wrong with my 03. Clutch engaged, pressure was good - nothing happened when it engaged. high/low always stayed the same. Sold it before I dug deeper into it.
  18. gforce1108

Installed PD150 manifold and now, squealing…

We have plug in OBDII testing for 96+ gas, 98+ diesel. My 04 passes without EGR because the controller is deleted from the ECU (shows N/A instead of not ready). That may change... If we adopt California's latest ways things will get much harder (they track the ECU file number against known...
  19. gforce1108

Ac diagnostic question

Both fans running OK? I had a dead fan and it acted the same. FCU thought the fan was running.
  20. gforce1108

Installed PD150 manifold and now, squealing…

They mention there's no provision for the EGR cooler. Most people have disabled it that go with a better manifold. That looks like an excellent solution for those that keep EGR. :) For those without aluminum welding ability - I think you could do something similar like I did for my MAP...