Search results

1. SUNRG

thanks so much! & goodbye

yesterday i sold our 2005 Passat GLS TDI Wagon to a really wonderful couple here in Roanoke, VA. we've owned TDIs since 2004 and i've super enjoyed reading and trying to contribute to these forums. even though i've not met many of you, the sense of community, support and friendship that the...
  2. SUNRG

2005 Passat Wagon, Immaculate (Show-n-Shine Award Winner), Chainless + All Updates

BSM Upgrade Performed by the outstanding techs FAST ENOUGH PERFORMANCE, Lexington, KY GLS / Stonehenge Grey 140k (but regularly mistaken for a new car) Carpet & Monster Floor Mats 6-CD Changer FM100 Fuel Filter & Mercedes Pre-Filter RC1 Bridgestone Ecopia (currently installed), and also comes...
  3. SUNRG

dealer says new turbo is needed ...

i'm asking them to check and replace the o-ring seals on the charge air hoses before taking the step of turbo replacement. P0299 code and B5 was going into limp mode often under acceleration when i brought it in. i'm getting married in two days so i just didn't have time to trouble shoot this...
  4. SUNRG

B5.5 alternator pulley testing?

i'm in the process of resolving this issue LINK and once the serp belt was removed i could see that the alternator pulley would move the fan in either direction - so its clutch wasn't "freely" freewheeling. i then held the fan in place and i *was* able to freewheel the pulley, but there's...
  5. SUNRG

Excellent BS Upgrade Shop - Fast Enough Performance, Lexington, KY

Fast Enough Performance www.fastenough.com 710 Downs Avenue Lexington, KY 40505-4202 (859) 258-2015 I had my BS work done in March 2009. I'm approaching 30k miles since the work was done with nothing but quiet smooth performance. Positives about FEP: Their labor rate is *extremely*...
  6. SUNRG

Code P0299 "turbo underboost" Resolution Repository

If you get a CEL / Emissions Workshop message, have the code read and it comes back with P0299 turbocharger underboost - please post what you did to resolve the problem to this thread. This way anyone that gets this code in a B5.5 can view this thread and see what the most common causes and...
  7. SUNRG

B5.5 ATF Used Fluid Lab Analyses Repository

Please post all UOAs performed on B5.5 ATF to this thread. Thank you :) 80.5k ODO ATF fluid and filter were changed for the first time. Pentosin ATF1 and OEM quality aftermarket filter were used. No unusual material found on magnets or in used filter. Transmission operability / function =...
  8. SUNRG

help needed w factory roof rack repair

last night on my way back from a cyclocross race i attempted to drop a friend off at his car which was in a parking garage, forgot that i had my new Trek XO2 cyclocross bike on the roof and ... while it could have been worse it wasn't pretty. the things i need help with are: 1) what's the...
  9. SUNRG

FS: '04 Golf GL TDI, Immaculate, + Extras $10750

FS: '04 Golf GL TDI, Immaculate, + Extras $10500 price dropped to $10,500 and **more new images added to post #5 below** if interested call 540-537-4896 or email rob@virginiatennis.com Summary: 2004 VW Golf GL PD100 TDI - meticulously maintained mechanically and aesthetically 113k...
  10. SUNRG

FYI: Car Cover Sale (B5.5 Wagon - NOAH fabric = $200.66)

www.autoanything.com i have NOAH car covers for my 04 Golf TDI and my 82 Mercedes 300SD, they are great all-weather protection plus quite good ding/scratch protection. i've been patiently waiting for a sale to come along so I could pick one up for my 05 Passat Wagon and right now autoanything...
  11. SUNRG

B5.5 Improved Power and Economy - RocketChip Stage 1

At TDI Fest yesterday Jeff RocketChip Stage 1 tuned my B5.5V and I am *so* happy with the result. It feels like a governor has been removed. Fuel economy seems to also have gotten a 1-2mpg bump. Initial acceloration from a dead stop isn't changed much, but once the wheels are rolling ... 5mph...
  12. SUNRG

WTB: Tail Lights for a Passat B5.5 Wagon

Both of mine have small cracks so I'm looking to replace both the R and L sides with intact ones. Thanks!
  13. SUNRG

How To: Glow Plug Removal & Prep for Dealer ECM Reflash

I had bought the GPs for both my TDIs months ago, hadn't gotten around to installing them, and then the GP recall was announced. I gave some thought to letting the dealer remove the old ceramic GPs - but after reading numerous horror stories (cross threads, broken GPs, etc.) I decided that this...
  14. SUNRG

please post broken ceramic glow plug pictures - thanks :)

I just removed 8 glow plugs (04 Golf PD100 & 05 Passat PD134). All came out easily and intact ... and I'm just curious as to what's exactly happening with those that are unfortunately dealing with broken ceramic GPs. Does the tip appear to have broken all or partially off thousands of miles...
  15. SUNRG

consensus on the Air Lift 60748: is this the best option for a B5.5 WAGON?

i have an air lift kit on my Golf and i LOVE it. i tow regularly and use a hitch-mount bike rack loads. the air lift kit keeps my Golf level and reduces the number of times my rear rack drags when i pull out of a parking lot. and it's incredibly easy adjustability is wonderful. i installed it 4...
  16. SUNRG

Bosch vs Mahle Oil Filter Comparison

I just discovered that *significant* differences exist between the Mahle and Bosch A4 / B5.5 oil filters. The last time I purchased an OEM filter from a dealer it was made by Bosch. I don't know if these physical differences translate in performance differences, but here's what I observed...
  17. SUNRG

What are the best fitting and most protective REAR floor mats?

while i love them dearly, kids are the biggest threat to maintaining the cleanliness of my beloved 2005 Passat Wagon TDI. i may opt to just strap the kids down to a utility trailer ... but in the event that i do let them in my Passat, what's the consensus regarding rear mats. i've been...
  18. SUNRG

How To: Clean and 303 Protect your TDI Engine

Here's shots of my engine bay after it was cleaned with: Enter 303: Follow these instructions from the 303 website LINK: And waa laa (i have to say that these pics do not do justice to how amazing the engine looks): What I love about using 303 in the engine bay are: It...
  19. SUNRG

Anatomy of the fantastic B5.5 AIRBOX

Yes - I am that guy - the one that gets excited about a well designed airbox! :D The Base: The hole in the bottom serves as a secondary way for air to be drawn into the airbox. This combined with the primary air intake assures more than adequate air is available to our 2.0L TDIs. Some...
  20. SUNRG

How To: Air Intake Screen Mod

The pre-filter screen in B5.5 Passats does a fantastic job of keeping large contaminants away from the primary air filter. However, the pre-filter can become partially or completely obstructed by debris very quicky: One remedy for this issue is to hang a section of heavy duty screen in front...