Search results

1. J

scratching my head

Took my wife's Q5 TDI in for a check engine light. My son scanned it last week before I took it in with VAGCOM and said that the was a code for EGR flow and MAP & MAF. Got a call from service writer saying the code was for a DEF code for the DEF controller. When I mentioned about the EGR...
  2. J

Audi side assist fault

Running errands this afternoon and I stopped by the bank and I noticed that the lights weren't lighting up on my mirrors and the red light on the door wasn't working. I pressed the red button on the door and got the message "Audi side assist fault". My car is clean and nothing covering the...
  3. J

erratic go pedal

My wife and both have '15 Q5 TDIs. Hers is a low mileage garage queen and mine is going on 80k. They both, 99% of the time, drive completely normal. Then once in a while it acts like severe turbo lag then wide open. It is kind of unnerving in traffic but doesn't seem normal. Do I need to...
  4. J

How do you reset inspection reminder in MMI

As said above, how do you reset the inspection reminder? The oil change is easy and can be done in the car but I can't find anything in the owner's manual for the inspection reminder. My son has VagCom and is there a screen that does it in there?
  5. J

Sun screen on panarrmic roof

Panoramic sun roof sun screen sags on wife's 2015 Q5 on the passenger side since I got it 2 months ago. Can you just replace the guides or the screen or the whole unit.? There are 2 different part numbers for screen only or the whole unit. What is involved in doing it? The motor moves the...
  6. J

all wheel alignment

We have 2 Audi dealerships in Charlotte. I priced an alignment at both, one was $295 + tax and shop fees. The other one was $190 with the same fees. I thought that was a bit pricey but when I call local shops I get the same answer; we don't have the software to do the alignment because we to...
  7. J

Am I crazy

I have bought 2 2015 TDI Q5's this week. One for the wife and the other for me. Hers is dark blue metallic with a brown leather interior and 49k. Mine is Daytona gray with a beige interior and 71k. The records show they were maintained by Audi dealers. I do most of my own service work...
  8. J

convertible top HELP!

Started to do a convertible ton the wife's '03 Beetle. Found many broke parts and have started to put back together. The only thing we have not found where to attach the top tension cable. Have watched the Bentley video 1000 times and can't catch where it goes on the video. Does anybody know...
  9. J

questions about tandem pump and vacuum

Sorry for all the info up front. I was following a post last week with a problem with low vacuum, brakes and tandem pump. My son came back from vacation yesterday and he came by and we thought it was time to check my vacuum lines since the last time he drove my car that scared him when the...
  10. J

Engine after tune longevity

I have a stock '04 Beetle with a DSG and 200k miles on the clock. I have put the last 55k on it and had to replace the DSG at 148k when I bought it. Car runs great but I have the fever for a little more power. Am I asking for trouble or is there anything to worry about? The VW guru that did my...
  11. J

Blinking glow plug light

Hit a lot of water puddles on the way home this afternoon. The trans started shifting funny (DSG) like it was in sport mode but you could manual shift it all the way up and then the glow plug light started blinking. I can't get it scanned until the AM but was wondering if this has happened to...
  12. J

tire question

I've been running 205/60/16 tires on my '04 Beetle. Wasn't happy with the Toyo 205/55/16 tires I had on last as they were wore out in 23k. My friend has a tire shop and sold me on the 205/60/16 tires as they had stiff side walls and would last longer. They had 26K on them before the tire getting...
  13. J

Long cranking time once warm

I have an '04 Beetle with a BEW and DSG and since the weather has changed to the cold, my car has a hard time starting once warmed up. Cold with 3 glow plug warm ups it starts within 2 seconds. Drive it 10+ miles and it will take 5 to 10 seconds to start and I usually have to press on the go...
  14. J

DMF or idler

I am having a miss that comes and goes. It doesn't matter if it is in drive or neutral. When I am sitting in the driver's seat I hear a rattling from the driver's side and the tach is jumping 100 rpm+/-. If I get out and open the hood I don't hear anything from the bell housing side with a...
  15. J

dsg service question

Had to put a new DSG 2 1/2 years ago in my Beetle and now have 32k miles on it. My son has a Golf with a DSG and he did the service and he said it really changed how it shifted. Is that normal and what fluid do you guys recommend for the service? He used Lubrimoly and bought the pro tools to do...
  16. J

fixed the shimmy

It took 2 weekends but I think I have finally fixed it. Had to replace both axle shafts and both wheel bearings. Did passenger side last weekend and took it out for a drive and it still shook but not as bad as before. Needed to the other side today after having to order more parts. Bearings...
  17. J

Help-car has the shimmy

update: Help-car has the shimmy About 3 months ago replaced the passenger wheel bearing and axle. Everything went as expected and has worked fine. On the way home this afternoon from a dead straight start you could feel a little shimmy. Made a right hand turn and it was a little more...
  18. J

No '16 TDI Touaregs for sell in NC/SC

Went to look at a new '16 Touareg after the wife liked one we looked at two weeks ago and now you can't get one for love or money. Spoke with the GM and he told me that they were removed from the lot for sale by VW. There is no recall for the 3.0 TDI but they can't sell them. Audi said the...
  19. J

new bearing and cv axle

Had the bearing roar and a sloppy outer right cv joint on my Beetle. Followed Scurvy's write up but had some troubles. The wheel bearing had been replaced before and it was all bound up. Took the knuckle off easier than trying to remove the bearing out in the car (tried 1 1/2 hrs). Removed...
  20. J

DMF question

I have an "04 Beetle with a BEW and a 6 speed DSG trans. Does this combination have a DMF? When the car warms up and I put it in neutral I get a clank ity clank but when I put it back in gear it settles down. I'm coming up on the 40k service on the DSG and wonder if I need to change the...