Search results

1. V

Intercooler icing solution my way.

Ours is hard to start when cold, like a year or more ago. We do have the lower grill covered with plastic cardboard. I pulled the intercooler hoses and only a few drips of oily water came out of the RH side so I don't think that is the problem. Maybe one or more of the glow plugs aren't working...
  2. V

Battery change-vcds needed?

I recently had to reset my driver's window after having the battery out. Anybody manage to get the tops off one of these batteries?
  3. V

Changing DSG Transmission Oil

Next time if there is one I'll find a different source. $40.31 a litre at the VW dealer. Filter $36.52. Total bill $261.87. Edit: Less than half that price at Rockauto.
  4. V

Driver's window auto up function not working.

Thank you! It happened after I removed the battery to change the DSG oil.
  5. V

Driver's window auto up function not working.

The window still goes up but not on auto. Does it need a new switch and how hard is it to change it?
  6. V

Changing DSG Transmission Oil

I just did mine. 4.5 litres out, 4.6 litres in by gravity feed through the filter hole, then put in the new filter.
  7. V

09 Jetta wheels on a 2014 Sportwagon?

Yeah, we're talking 205-55-16 in both cases. The guy hasn't replied so I guess he sold them. I guess I keep the one set of aluminum and the one set of steel wheels instead of having the luxury of two sets of aluminum.
  8. V

09 Jetta wheels on a 2014 Sportwagon?

Will they work or are they different spacing, offset or whatever? Thanks.
  9. V

Lower Control Arms

Thanks guys for your help.
  10. V

Lower Control Arms

How about changing just the control arm bushings? Is that an easy job, or not? The ball joints are still tight.
  11. V

Lower Control Arms

The front tires are wearing a bit more on the insides than out and I don't see a way of adjusting the camber. I thought I would start by replacing the lower control arms. Does that make sense and if so are some brands better than others? Are there other things to check? The car is coming up to...
  12. V

Intercooler icing solution my way.

A couple of days ago I had a hard start which took about 30 seconds to clear itself. Hopefully there was no internal damage and since then I did a hundred kilometer round trip. I never had this happen last year so will reinstall the lower grille cover and hopefully it will be OK. I don't know...
  13. V

Latest front plate bracket rivets

I had a John Deere plate on for awhile but got tired of that; three holes look better than that or the plate holder. I was going to look for rivets or caps to fill the holes and paint them but that's been on the back burner for over half a year now.
  14. V

winter/snow tires

We've had Gislaved snow tires on the Volvo XC90 for twelve winter seasons. I am quite satisfied with the life we have gotten out of them. This last spring I left them on and they will be good and worn out before replacing them with a new set of the same this fall. I bought Pirelli snows for the...
  15. V

I bought a TDI. 5 minutes later and it would not start. Now it won't even crank.

I had a friend with an older jetta gas model that a new starter did not fix his no start condition. A cold start relay was the culprit. Is it possible that our diesel models could have a similar component in the circuit?
  16. V

P2002 - Rawtek Delete Here I Come?

I found it interesting that when I bought oil and filter for the last oil change they recorded it against the VIN. It speaks to me that there could be future warranty denials for those who can't prove they used the correct oil. My pre dieselgate car ran better and got better fuel economy than...
  17. V

Oil Consumption?

I just had a look and the oil level is getting close to the add mark.
  18. V

Oil Consumption?

I don't remember the oil level on my 2013 being off the full line when it came time for an oil change at 15000k kms (10000k mi). Same with the 2014 but it is coming due and I have to admit I haven't looked at it for probably half a year.
  19. V

New Mobil 1 oil not black

No black, no detergent. Many years ago I acquired an English motorcycle. MY first oil change was to Veedol (maybe non-detergent) but after quite a while it was still clean and new looking oil. I switched to Castrol and it turned really black almost immediately.