Search results

1. 5

So I want to buy 2014 / 2015 A6 TDI, but...

I am worried that my new, very nice A6 will have the same issues our Passat's have. Issues like: Turbo failure Clogged heater cores Malfunctioning temperature control door DEF heater failure exhaust flap failure Driver door lock module failure etc. I want a diesel sedan, and really a fan of...
  2. 5

Logistics, $, and dates - Selling back my TDI and buying a used TDI

Hi all, I have briefly searched, but have not exactly found the answers I need. I just worked a week of 12 to 14 hour days, so trying to get other parts of my life caught up. I'm assuming one of you is better tuned-in to the settlement than am I. I am planning to sell back my 2013 Passat TDI...
  3. 5

Power Brake assist varies than failed.....

Power Brake assist varies then failed..... OK, I am about to utter those famous last words... I already searched the forums.... Can anyone point me in the right direction? In the last week the brake assist had seemed pretty weak once or twice. Coming home today (1 hour drive) it got worse...
  4. 5

Major Service Schedule?

Hi all, I'm looking for a schedule for major service items - like timing belt, anything related to the DSG perhaps, anything fuel pump related, etc. I have the basic maintenance schedule - oil and filters, etc. But my car just rolled 100k and I assume I should be doing the timing belt soon...
  5. 5

Front Camber Plates / Camber Adjustment

Hi all, This past June I put brand new summer tires on and did a 4 wheel alignment. I did it with my own hands at my friends shop. At the time the rears were just over the limit for being cambered too far in. So I adjusted them in. The fronts were right on the edge of being cambered too far...
  6. 5

Cheap Winter Fronts for the Grille

So I like some of you ordered the winter fronts from ID Parts only to find out that they didn't have them. But I also didn't want to continue to be cold throughout my 1 hour commute on the single-digit days. So I invented my own. You need paper towels and a spray bottle full of water. Total...
  7. 5

Seat Altea XL 5 speed

On a recent trip to Spain we rented a Seat Altea XL due to the fact that we had to haul 5 people (4 of them over 6' tall) and all their big luggage. Ours was a 5 speed manual with a diesel - I assume the 1.4 liter (1.6 diesel also available) Volkswagen owners will immediately be comfortable...
  8. 5

Can I turn off DSG downshifting?

I mean through VCDS, or an aftermarket tune, or whatever. I've had my fill of it. I can tell you for certain that I am not a brake dragger, I don't drive with two feet. maybe I brake harder than the threshold that VW has set, but it does it all the time, and it goes into 3rd gear! Yesterday...
  9. 5

Climatronic doesn't dehumidify on warm wet days

I've read some of the threads about how the defrost doesn't work. I hadn't noticed that yet, but I usually warm the car up for several minutes before driving. One reason for the lack of defrost would also explain my complaint - the AC system doesn't dehumidify. Controlling humidity is the #1...
  10. 5

US Car - No Canadian maps available in NAV

Any info on how to use my US NAV in Canada? On my last trip to CA it would show me the roads I was on, etc. But I could not set destinations in Canada.
  11. 5

Stuff I learned when I put my car on a lift

I had a chance to get my car in my buddy's shop and I learned a couple neat things: First, the entire album is here. Picassa used to let me embed and post links to individual pictures, they changed it and I don't care to sort it out right now...
  12. 5

Interesting things I learned with the Torque App this week

So I'm semi addicted to the Torque App now. Looking for a car mount for my S3 now. Interesting thing I learned - How little boost the engine makes when just cruising along. Like NO pressure. But then at the slightest incline it starts to climb. I hit 20psi once, very briefly. Usually maxes...
  13. 5

DSG started aggressive downshifting on hills

I know the DSG will downshift when braking to help slow the car - a feature I typically like. Earlier this week my DSG started downshifting aggressively when I would hit the brakes on hills. Driving the revs / engine noise up quite surprisingly. And actually providing more braking than I...
  14. 5

How accurate is Mileage on the MFI?

For the next several months I will be filling my car at least half the time out of a diesel bulk tank with no flow meter / gallon indicator. Then after reading about how you can tweak the mileage display with VCDS I got wondering, what is my actual mileage vs. displayed? I drive 47 miles each...