Search results

1. I

Will a MK4 hood fit in the back of an MK4 wagon?

It absolutely will fit. I picked up a hood for my son's Golf in my Wagon years ago, no problem. In fact, a NMS Passat hood will also fit. Done that, too.
  2. I

U.S. Comeback?

You're cheerful today. ;)
  3. I

U.S. Comeback?

Diesel makes sense in heavy and expensive vehicles. Pickups, big SUVs, luxury cars. The price of the vehicles also helps minimize the cost impact of the diesel emissions gear. I think the biggest application for diesel over EV is for all the contractors/landscapers/delivery vehicles that tow or...
  4. I

ALH Wagon: A Good Buy in 2022?

I'm right there with Peter, although I've only owned one Wagon. I just love the MKIV platform. I thoroughly enjoy my Golf, too, and it's nearly as useful.
  5. I

Newbie wanting wheels and tires

Beetles came with 16s, I'd stick with those. I'm honestly surprised you're having trouble finding wheels. Keep looking on facebook marketplace and craigslist. Any 16" 5x100 VW wheel will probably fit. I've found them for short money on CL. Last set I bought for my Wagon were $50 for 4 wheels...
  6. I

Closer to stock the car is the better, IMO. And if you want more insured value, you can use Hagerty for coverage. I don't even have collision on mine, although it would be covered if an accident isn't my fault. If it was totaled I doubt I'd even file a claim. I'd just part out what remains.
  7. I

Help me price my 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon properly

$2,500 CAD sounds fair. Unfortunately the fact that it's an auto and the poor cosmetics really hurt. And a vehicle that's not running for unknown reasons will always take a big value hit.
  8. I

I'd pay top dollar for a good ALH wagon but only if it was truly well maintained. For example, I just replaced engine/transmission mounts in my Wagon. Not super expensive, but it's the kind of repair that falls into the "nickel and dime" category. If the PO for the higher mileage wagon has...
  9. I

Used 2002 Volkswagen Golf GL TDI with 54 (54!) MILES

The link I was sent bumped to a different car. Honestly, that TDI is appealing to me. It's a Golf version of IBW. I don't know what sitting for 20 years does to a car, but it can't be good.
  10. I

Used 2002 Volkswagen Golf GL TDI with 54 (54!) MILES

This was updated to a 2.slow with an auto and 106K. Now $6,495. Still stupid.
  11. I

New VW diesel engine

I got the VIN for my '12 Golf before it was built.
  12. I

New VW diesel engine

VW doesn't actually build cars to order. A dealer can request a specific vehicle color and options, and VW will flag a car that meets that spec when it's scheduled to be built and make it part of that dealer's allocation. But it's not a build to order thing. Honda operates the same way. I do...
  13. I

New VW diesel engine

The whole pre-order thing is relatively new to the industry. Some say it was mostly Tesla's way to raise capital at low cost. But you couldn't pre-order a VW Rabbit Diesel in the 70s. Just hope the dealer got one into stock. It isn't just Tesla. What about the 200,000 preorders for Ford...
  14. I

Are all years effected by bad dual mass flywheels (DSG)?

Gears (or the output shaft) did rattle with the G60 clutch because it didn't have a dampener in the center of the disc. The OE Sachs replacement SMF clutch kit is quiet. South Bend Clutch has for years not build their performance clutches from the Sachs OE replacement, and they're quiet.
  15. I

Are all years effected by bad dual mass flywheels (DSG)?

Several items to correct here: Early DMFs weren't "bad." As posted above, they have a service life. The life of early ones wasn't as long as it should have been, but they weren't necessarily faulty. The first TDIs in NA did not have DMFs. A3 Jettas and B4 Passats had SMFs. An SMF swap will not...
  16. I

Next Oil Change...Opinions Needed

Not just diesel oil, all oils. My Mobil distributor says they can't get any Mobil products right now, including grease and hydraulic fluids. We placed our last Mobil 1 order in early September. They aren't even giving me possible dates of when we might see product. Oddly, we are able to get...
  17. I

What did you do to your MK7 today?

Funny, I'm in the same situation and my dealer has never contacted me about Phase II. Fine by me, I have no plans to have it done.
  18. I

What did you do to your MKIV today?

The lift is a good thing if you drive where you need it. I don't get the wheel/tire combo, however. Bad for noise, ride, and suspension geometry and therefore handling.
  19. I

Front Tone Ring?

Tone ring is part of the hub. I think replacing the hub is your option, and you're going to destroy the bearing removing the hub.
  20. I

What did you do to your MKIV today?

Took a Sunday morning drive, which I hvaen't for a while, in the '99.5 Golf. Went to western MA to have coffee with my son. About a 365 mile round trip, 5F here when I left, -5 there. Car did fine. Grateful for the winter front.