Search results

1. D

ALH Straight Pipe

So I can probably get away with just the downpipe and figuring out the rest for myself, partially because it appears many of the full kits are out of stock. Not to get too off topic here, but my Jetta does have Bosio DLC 520 injectors and a "mild" tune from Kerma, not sure beyond that, and it...
  2. D

ALH Straight Pipe

From my understanding, that is the only difference, the bumper is longer on the 03 wagon (Canadian requirements or something). At that point, if you are just putting in an extra piece of pipe, that should be pretty stinking simple. I have no personal experience, but I have been researching this...
  3. D

ALH Straight Pipe

Yep that is almost exactly what I had in mind. I do like the low profile look of it, and it appears it gets most of the noise out from under the car.
  4. D

ALH Straight Pipe

2.5 Turbo back is what I was planning. I was hoping to either get it straight out the back under the bumper without making it look ridiculously goofy, or do a sorta 45 degree turndown RIGHT behind the bumper, so its still fairly hidden, but gets that noise away from the bumper. My biggest...
  5. D

ALH Straight Pipe

Hey all. I am looking to straight pipe my 03 ALH Wagon. I'm in Nebraska, so I'm not worried about emissions. I have been doing a bunch of research, and some of the key takeaways I found are: - I will want a 2.5" pipe for a nice balance between performance improvement, turbo whistle noise, and...
  6. D

WTB MK4 Catback or Turboback Straight Pipe

Looking to buy a straight pipe for my Mk4 TDI Wagon. I haven't decided if I want a catback or turboback, so I am open to either. Can pickup in person if somewhat close to central NE, or pay for shippin
  7. D

My Screw Up

Old thread now, but just if its ever referenced in the future, the source of the noise came from the oil pan vibrating against the skid plate. Luckily they are both aluminum so it was more of a surface scratch rather than a gouge. I at first thought it was the skid plate getting tweaked, but...
  8. D

My Screw Up

So a little update. I looked things over, and there wasn't much that was apparently visible. I didn't have it up on a lift but I had crawled under and was looking things over. Nothing was majorly cracked or anything. One of my discoveries though was that without the skid plate on, it was noise...
  9. D

My Screw Up

Hey all. So to make it short and sweet, my 03 alh jetta wagon 5 speed was running beautifully. Well I hit a large pot hole a little too spiritedly and afterwards, the car now has a vibration. It does it idling regardless of clutch pressed or not. It does it driving, pretty consistently. The only...
  10. D

Post-Timing Belt Change

One more follow up question. I know in the market of ALH's having proof of a timing belt change is extremely important. Papers/receipts from the shop done. Since this was done myself, is the proof just off the honesty system? I could probably get a receipt for kit purchased and for the tool...
  11. D

MK4 TDI Straight Pipe

That's exactly the other issue I forgot to mention. I love thay turbo whistle, but don't necessarily want excessive engine noise while driving. I just don't want to put a hole through the bumper just to find out I don't like the way it looks. I'm just an indecisive person.
  12. D

MK4 TDI Straight Pipe

Would you have a picture of this handy? I would think I would want to keep with the "car" look of having it come out the back, but am not 100%.
  13. D

MK4 TDI Straight Pipe

I am looking to do a straight pipe on my 03 Jetta TDI Wagon. Obviously you run into the issue of the current exhaust that shoots down underneath of the car. I have done some looking, and could not find a very direct and straightforward answer/solution. What is your guys' best recommendation...
  14. D

Post-Timing Belt Change

Quick update. I went forward with the timing process and got it in spec and now she purrs like a kitten, ready to go 100,000 miles. That issue of it taking a couple seconds to start I am guessing was just a bubble in the fuel line or something of the sorts. Thanks everyone for your help. (y)
  15. D

Post-Timing Belt Change

So I ran it a bit more with everything in place, and it fires right up now. I'm working on the timing, and the graph shows it's way advanced. It almost sounds like it's got a bit of a noise when it fires up. Not sure if that's cause it's in the garage in the air right now or if it's concerning
  16. D

Post-Timing Belt Change

I will be looking at this when I get home, but if the IP pin does not go in at TDC, will I be able to rearrange it without much more teardown? Like loosening the tensioner, taking out the top roller, and move whatever teeth I need to get everything in line? I have read people say that it simply...
  17. D

Post-Timing Belt Change

Hello All, So I just got done doing the timing belt replacement on my 03 ALH. I used all the proper tools to get the job done, and followed the DIY guide that is very well known to this forum. IP pin was in the correct hole, everything was in line. Throw everything back together, along with...
  18. D

High Wear Items Life

Alright, I went ahead with the kit from MetalMan. Seems to sound like a very good option. Now for the tools. Hopefully I don't plan on doing this more than 2 or 3 more times after this, which would make it a little foolish to outright buy a 200 dollar tool set. Has anyone used the rental...
  19. D

High Wear Items Life

Thanks for all the replies. Sounds like the consensus is if I am feeling particularly ballsy, I have the chance of being able to get a few more miles out of it, but to be on the safe side, should probably just pull the trigger and get er done. Which leads me to my next question to get a fresh...
  20. D

High Wear Items Life

Hey all, I have recently acquired a very nice 2003 Jetta Wagon. This is my first TDI, but have done a ton of research beforehand, so I am very aware of all the temperaments that these cars can have. This car had the whole shabang done (water pump/ timing belt, etc) done at 75k miles back in...