Search results

1. J.P.

6 speed shifter adjustment, rebuild parts options?

My 6 speed shifter tends to "catch" going into 2nd. The best way I can describe it is when I'm shifting into 2nd from 1st or 3rd, when the lever gets to neutral, it moves a little to the left towards the reverse position and gets hung up. It won't continue down into 2nd unless I physically...
  2. J.P.

Need some input! Cloud of grey smoke on startup

UPDATE TO THIS THREAD SO YOU DON'T HAVE TO READ THE WHOLE THING TO KNOW HOW IT WAS RESOLVED: I ran out of time / patience / ideas for solving clouds of grey smoke on cold start, and had the car tuned. NO MORE CLOUDS OF GREY SMOKE ON COLD START. The tune deleted the MAF, and EGR (EGR was left...
  3. J.P.

Reading EGT on a manual swapped b5.5

Reading EGT on a manual trans swapped b5.5? I'm trying to find a way to read EGT on a manual trans swapped b5.5 Passat (BHW engine, 6 spd). Auto trans b5.5s can read it via VCDS. From this post it looks like manual trans swapped b5.5s can't...
  4. J.P.

WTB b5.5 axles for manual swap

Anybody have OEM axles for a b5.5 manual swap? Note: auto trans axles don't fit for the manual swap.
  5. J.P.

Best method to test charge piping

Best method to test boost / charge piping? Need help finding the best method of checking for leaks in the charge piping on a BHW in an 05 Passat. I've seen a tool with plugs and schrader valves to pressurize the charge piping and listen / look for leaks. Is there an easy DIY way to pressurize...
  6. J.P.

Transmission Adapter Options

I couldn't find a thread that had data on all TDI Adapter options available, so here's a start. Are there others out there? Anyone have experience with these? Also, experience / opinions of the transmissions they mate to? OPT 1. tdiclub member evguy1's TDI adapters. Not specific to one...
  7. J.P.

Talk me into / out of this: AHU in 51 chev pickup

So there is a gentleman selling an AHU mated to a Toyota W series 5 spd not too far away. I have a 51 chev 1/2 ton that is not getting much use anymore because it needs some updates. I have a 85 jag XJ6 IFS sitting in the garage ready to install, and will need to pull the motor when I do that...
  8. J.P.

Front Caliper Guide Pin SLEEVE replacement

I need to replace the rubber sleeves for the front caliper guide pins, and I'm having a heck of a time trying to get them in. I did a search here and can't find any discussion on replacing them. Anybody have a way to get the sleeves (some call them bushings) in? They have a lip on one end...
  9. J.P.

Guidance for removing 5 spd side-to-side bellcrank

I need some guidance for removing the side-to-side bellcrank on a 5spd trans in an 02 Golf. My shifting is very stiff side-to-side (gear shift lever will stay wherever you put it, there is no spring return to the "home" spot). I've pinpointed it to the bellcrank being very stiff in its...
  10. J.P.

Broken front spring resting on strut tower - drive or park?

I got in my car after it sat for awhile while I was away, and when I turned the steering wheel to full lock I heard a horrible "bonnnnggg" noise from the right front of my car. It repeated as the wheel was returned to center. Got the car up on stands tonight and the right front spring is...
  11. J.P.

Battery with one bad cell - warranty or my fault?

I've got a OE spec VW 80AH battery in my 02 Golf. It replaced the original battery in December of 09 (original went 6.5 yrs). Hygrometer indicates it has one bad cell. I discovered it because it would not start when I returned to the airport after 8 days (temps were in the 20s, but had not...
  12. J.P.

Jumpstart booster pack recommendations?

I'm looking at picking up a jumpstart booster pack and wanted to see if members had any recommendations for quality product. I want to make sure I get one powerful enough to jumpstart my TDI if needs be (02 ALH). What do you have? What do you recommend? Thanks! JP
  13. J.P.

Glow plug stripped threads - should I drive it?

I've got an ALH (02 Golf) with a cross threaded glow plug in the #4 cylinder that spun. Can I drive it safely, or should I park it until I can remove and figure out what to do? Background info: CEL was on and VAG COM indicated intermittent glow plug fault. I drove the car for quite awhile...
  14. J.P.

Anybody running larger diameter tires without a lift?

Is anybody successfully running larger diameter tires without raised suspension? If so, what vehicle, and what size is working? It is time for new snow tires. I have an 02 golf at stock height. I see a bunch of people running 205/70 15s and would like the extra clearance that height would...
  15. J.P.

Need OEM right rear tail light for '02 Golf

My right rear tail light just got punched out in the parking lot (bumper scuff too, but no sheet metal damage thankfully). Who has an OEM right rear tail that will fit an '02 Golf? Years 99.5 - 2004 match, I'm not sure about '05 and up. J.P.